PDA

View Full Version : help needed with downloading maps

mymegamouth
May 9th, 2007, 19:26
hi all, i love the map this software but i cant download my own maps, ive followed the recent newbie tutorial but i still cant get my maps to work.

when i load my map in Mapthis! it just freezes on the map selection screen and the memory LED keeps flashing, after that i have to remove the battery to exit the program.

i noticed that my file structure of the downloaded maps that i create are different to the samples, all mine are in one folder with mostly .png images whereas the samples are all organised in files for the different zoom levels.

could someone please help me, thanks

note: im on 3.40 oe-a, i have followed the recent tutorial word for word and i was trying to create a map of the east riding of yorkshire in England.

thanks in advance

Liquid Smoke
May 10th, 2007, 00:32
ur files have to be structured the same way as the samples

like map\_City\1x\000\...png, etc.

or else it wont read it. an easier way is to download using the map download program GMDL by in7ane, it'll easily dl the maps and put them into directories or u can have them in compress gpsfs format which is just 5 files with the maps in there, check the how to turn ur psp into a navigation system thread i think theres a link there to GMDL.

mymegamouth
May 10th, 2007, 21:48
thanks for the quick reply, but i meant that i followed the recent tutorial tht showed u how to use in7ane's map downloader, the file structure was the second i think u were referring to the GMDL one or summit where u have loads of icon pngs and 5 other files. im now using the latest beta version of Mapthis! (i think 0.499) but i still cant get it to work, any other solutions???

or could someone upload a GMDL map that they have got working? thanks

ps, ive even tried changing the cpu speed to default which some sed worked, but it didnt for me.

FatesWebb
May 17th, 2007, 20:38
thanks for the quick reply, but i meant that i followed the recent tutorial tht showed u how to use in7ane's map downloader, the file structure was the second i think u were referring to the GMDL one or summit where u have loads of icon pngs and 5 other files. im now using the latest beta version of Mapthis! (i think 0.499) but i still cant get it to work, any other solutions???

or could someone upload a GMDL map that they have got working? thanks

ps, ive even tried changing the cpu speed to default which some sed worked, but it didnt for me.

This is the very same problem I have been troubleshooting for the last 3 days.... The subway map works, the global map works, but any map I place in there just causes the lights to blink endlessly... Can anyone help?

I am running FW 3.03c and have tried both the newest beta, and the fullest versions of mapviewer, and am using the latest map downloader to download the maps...

just as mega explained I do not have the folders created, and the filesystem as the other maps do, I just have large files called gpsfs gpsfs1 gpsfs2...... is there some way to convert these into the correct files?

Please help :) thanks!

FatesWebb

An0nJ0hn
May 17th, 2007, 21:25
This is the very same problem I have been troubleshooting for the last 3 days.... The subway map works, the global map works, but any map I place in there just causes the lights to blink endlessly... Can anyone help?

I am running FW 3.03c and have tried both the newest beta, and the fullest versions of mapviewer, and am using the latest map downloader to download the maps...

just as mega explained I do not have the folders created, and the filesystem as the other maps do, I just have large files called gpsfs gpsfs1 gpsfs2...... is there some way to convert these into the correct files?

FatesWebb

Those files work fine. All of the maps I make are in that format and load up. Perhaps the map is too large. Try making a smaller map of your area. To reduce the file size remove some zoom levels or shrink the area you are making the map of. Trial and error is the way.

deniska
May 17th, 2007, 21:47

FatesWebb

Use gmdl tool to test the gpsfs files (it has a special section for this).. you can also convert them to folders with buttons on top of the tool..

FatesWebb
May 17th, 2007, 21:53
Those files work fine. All of the maps I make are in that format and load up. Perhaps the map is too large. Try making a smaller map of your area. To reduce the file size remove some zoom levels or shrink the area you are making the map of. Trial and error is the way.

tried that... like I said I have been troubleshooting this for days.... thanks for the suggestions though...

FatesWebb
May 17th, 2007, 21:54
Use gmdl tool to test the gpsfs files (it has a special section for this).. you can also convert them to folders with buttons on top of the tool..

Ill try that, in a bit, right now I have realized that if I goto advanced, I can turn off the compression, and I will get the files ... so I have done that and I am going to test it that way, it is taking much longer to copy the files to the MS this time, Ill report back once i have tried that, and your suggestions.

Thanks for the cool tool, and for supporting us as well!!!

FatesWebb

FatesWebb
May 17th, 2007, 22:08
Ok so this appears to have worked. all I did was when I was using the map downloader, I selected advanced, and checked the box dont use gpsfs compression.... and then it works....

Thanks