PDA

View Full Version : NewDictS 0.7

wraggster
May 10th, 2007, 01:10
News/release from Philips (http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=39&post_id=18487#forumpost18487)

Phillips released several weeks ago a working homebrew translator with fat support for DS with the help of PALib.
He only published it in chinese so it seems that it did not get some notice from the english speaking world. The program, which is using stardict dictionary files, is currently running on R4 (Thanks Phillips!!), M3SD and SCSD!

To get it running you need the appropriate file for your card. Create the folder: "NewDicts" at the root of your card. In the folder "NewDicts" create a subfolder called "Dict".
Copy the downloaded dictionaries in that folder(up to 10 different dics are supported, prefix must be the same per dictionary).
The files with the .dz ending must be deflated, ending with .dict (try 7zip to do that).
Attention the .idx file size is limited to something smaller than 2.5 MB.
Example:
StardictBritannicaConcise consists of:
BritannicaConcise.ifo
BritannicaConcise.idx
BritannicaConcise.dict
in folder root:NewDictsDict

Download Dictionarys (http://stardict.sourceforge.net/index.php)

Sound Files (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z2EGC232)
Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Adrenalin
May 10th, 2007, 12:01
Wow! Works awesome.

Great layout, but when a word cannot fit on the line, rather than the whole word be moved, it is just split up. I would prefer it if the whole word was moved.

Buddy4point0
May 10th, 2007, 16:02
interesthing, and sounds awsome, nice layout

rkovas
May 10th, 2007, 16:54
edict,kanjidict2 and jplace doesnt work properly:((upper display is all giberished...)...but english ones work great on m3 :)Great job!

nannys_hedgehog
May 11th, 2007, 09:38
I don't believe Phillips will adapt the program very soon (but google chinese is not that understandable). You can change it yourself. He released the source.
http://www.tvgame360.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=17630&extra=page%3D1

nannys_hedgehog
June 11th, 2007, 14:37
Newdicts v0.7j is out. Sesa took up the task and improved it considerably.
For those who speak chinese:
http://tvgame360.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=21913&extra=&page=1
and here is an english Howto including downloads:
http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=2991&forum=28

VoodooSmiles
June 14th, 2007, 09:29
Absolutely fantastic. I've been looking for something like this for ages. Works like a dream if you follow the instructions on installation.

dodgybarnet
June 16th, 2007, 16:49
This this is great - what I've been looking for too... but:

I can get the older "NewDictS07" version working great, but the newer "NewDictS07j" just says "cannot find dictionarys"

I've followed the instructions about using idxToaoi.exe to create the extra *.wrd and *.aoi files and have added them all to the same "root:\NewDicts\Dict\" but no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

nannys_hedgehog
June 17th, 2007, 10:11
You don't need the *.wrd file. Its just to see which words are indexed in the idx file.
Check the following points:
Did you DLDI-patch the nds file?
Have all the 4 dictionary-files the same name?
dic.idx
dic.aoi
dic.dict
dic.ifo

If that doesn't help I need the content of your Dict-directory.

dodgybarnet
June 17th, 2007, 12:43
Fixed it.
As usual it was laziness to blame - didn't DLDI the nds. (the older version didn't need it).

Still though, is the new version (v0.7j) actually any better?

When choosing between dictionarys the old version has a white background so one can see the choices easily - the newer version has a transparent background making it harder to read the text choices.

I was hoping the new one might make the word wrap better to (scrolling as a block not line rolling)

nannys_hedgehog
June 17th, 2007, 15:19
Improvements? I allready wrote about them at
PALIB:

The current version is 0.7j and there are several improvements. Some of them are:
- support for up to 100 dictionaries
- german characters are now shown properly in the dics
- keyboard was enhanced to allow german character input
- dictionary index file size is no longer limited to 2,5MB
(got a wikipedia dump with an index filesize of 32 MB running experimentally on my DS)
- improvements regarding chinese character unicode support

I think thats really something. Especially the german viewing and input, the number of dicts and the limitless index size, allowing to open really large dicts are more than I was ever expecting.

For that block scrolling issue try to contact sesa he is really helpful and speaks english too.

XDelusion
June 17th, 2007, 18:01
I clicked on that link for the dictionaries, but all I saw were links to windows and linux programs of some sort.

dodgybarnet
June 18th, 2007, 13:44
Thanks nannys_hedgehog - you're right that that is quite a serious improvement. Thanks for the help!

Skill
June 25th, 2007, 03:24
Does it support any language?

MFrost42
June 26th, 2007, 06:27
I am probably missing something really obvious but I can't seem to get this to work. I have it patched correctly and I understand all th efiles I need but every time I load it and try to choose a dictionary i get an error message in chinese and it freezes. Does anyone know a solution to this?

nannys_hedgehog
June 26th, 2007, 07:06
I am probably missing something really obvious but I can't seem to get this to work. I have it patched correctly and I understand all th efiles I need but every time I load it and try to choose a dictionary i get an error message in chinese and it freezes. Does anyone know a solution to this?
Which version are you using?
What is the content of the newdicts folder and the subfolders?
Which flashcard are you using?
I'm running it on R4. It doesn't make any problem. I've got a german wikipedia dump of 1,6GB! dictionary size runnig with it almost flawlessly.
Ps: Version 0.7k is out with several imrovements, I'll write about it soon (dodgybarnet - it has a nice scrolling feature now).

MFrost42
June 27th, 2007, 01:56
I'm using 0.7j on a supercard. I have most of the dictionaries working fine now, there was a problem with the file names that i was missing. I have a couple of questions though, I noticed on things like the britanica concise that after a little bit the entries get scrambled, is that a problem with the dictionary file or the program itself? Also, is there anyway to change what the titles of the dictionaries show up as in the program itself?

nannys_hedgehog
June 27th, 2007, 07:30
Also, is there anyway to change what the titles of the dictionaries show up as in the program itself?
Just change the BOOKNAME in the .ifo file - the long names are not really comfortable:cool: .
I couldn't find any problems with that brittanica file. Try to describe the steps leading to this error and I will see if I can reproduce it.

XDelusion
June 27th, 2007, 14:46
All files are source code? So how do I compile it and all that crap?

No docs aside of those posted with this news. THe page with the dictionary things we need to download seem to have no working links.

nannys_hedgehog
June 28th, 2007, 14:19
All files are source code? So how do I compile it and all that crap?

No docs aside of those posted with this news. THe page with the dictionary things we need to download seem to have no working links.
You know it took me some effort to write the doc at PALIB.
http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=2991&forum=28
Read it carefully and you'll find most solutions to your questions. The .nds file is at the bottom of my first post at palib:
NewDictS07j.zip Size: 974.49 KB
You need:
idxToaoi.rar
to build the aoi of the dic-index too.
No need to compile anything. The dics are at the stardict page just search and you will find. In case you did it desperately and didn't find something: here is a direct link to hundreds of them:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80679
Make sure to unpack them properly. You can rename them too but all 4 files you need for one dic have to have the same name f.i.:
dic1.idx
dic1.dict
dic1.ifo
dic1.aoi

XDelusion
June 30th, 2007, 01:48
Thank you for the help. So for the dictionaries, I need to download StarDict? Because I do this for windows, thinking that if I install it, it will then give me the idx dict ifo and aoi files I want...

...well I updated my GTK and it says I don't have it installed.

I tried to download what I thought were dictionaries on the 2nd link you provided me, and the archive only contained a DZ IFO and IDX file, the DICT and AOI files were missing.

As for the guide you wrote, I failed to find that too.

Sorry for being such a pain. I'm trying sincerely.

nannys_hedgehog
June 30th, 2007, 09:08
Thank you for the help. So for the dictionaries, I need to download StarDict? Because I do this for windows, thinking that if I install it, it will then give me the idx dict ifo and aoi files I want...

...well I updated my GTK and it says I don't have it installed.

I tried to download what I thought were dictionaries on the 2nd link you provided me, and the archive only contained a DZ IFO and IDX file, the DICT and AOI files were missing.

As for the guide you wrote, I failed to find that too.

The guide is at PALIB - Uwe is my nickname there. You don't need to install stardict under windows though I would recommend it because that programm is really good. You are right there is a bug in the installation routine, I had to manually unpack the setup to get it running (don't ask me how I did it :cool: ).
For the Dics:
You are near to the solution. :)
DZ - is a compressed dict file, you have to unzip it with 7ZIP. The AOI file you have to create by yourself. Unpack idxToaoi.rar and use it with the idx file of the dic.

XDelusion
June 30th, 2007, 18:06
Ok I think I got it all down, my only problem now is I loaded up the program and the dictionary I downloaded was in Japanese or something. Can you suggest a good English Dictionary for me?

charpsp20
July 3rd, 2007, 04:52
im trying to this to work too. i have the .dict and .idx files. Im guessing i have the .ifo file (my pc seems to think its a dvd movie file)

when i load and press a, i get some chinese characters surrounding the script "idx" what i am missing and do i really have the ifo file?

nannys_hedgehog
July 3rd, 2007, 17:10
OK there is a discussion on PALIB about the right use of the software including a link of a prepared demo package (demo dictionary in working folder structure expiring at 08.07.2007).
http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2991&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

charpsp20
July 4th, 2007, 04:12
thanks, i think i figured out how to make it run. :-)

XDelusion
July 4th, 2007, 19:17
When I click that link I get this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--EDIT-----

Nevermind, page works now, thankx!

maxiewawa
November 11th, 2007, 01:01
I can get NewDictS working, but dictionaries are garbled.

Definitions are blank or don't correspond to the word entered.

Strangely though, the first 100 or so entries work perfectly, if I'm looking for something that begins (in English) with an "A" chances are it will work ok.

Please help, NewDictS was one of the main reasons I got my NDS lite!

I'm using a DS FireCard. I found out that it's a clone of the N-Card, so I've been DLDI-ing using the N Card driver.

Lakitou
November 11th, 2007, 01:57
For some odd reason every time I download anything and put it to my Games n' Music thing it never works. Can someone give me an explanation please?

nannys_hedgehog
November 11th, 2007, 09:05
maxiewawa&Lakitou:
Try to run chkdsk /f in Windows to check if your memorycard has some fat errors. Those are sometimes responsible for that odd behaviour. Sometimes even reformating with fat32 or fat16 helps, you have to try it out by yourself.

maxiewawa:
If that won't help, try different versions of newdicts, if you can't find them contact me at palib with your pm that I can send you an "assorted collection".

maxiewawa
November 12th, 2007, 04:59
I've got the program working, and all entries are coming up fine! I formatted my card, installed different firmware (the latest N-Card), then installed the dictionary again. Great, right?

Wrong. Dictionary is really unreliable. The card fails to boot up repeatedly, and after using dictionary for a while, it also fails to load up. I have to plug in the card again, and delete "dictionary.sav" from my "dict" folder (the one with all the dictionary files in it). Then, the dictionary works again for a while, then freezes up again. Once more, I have to delete dictionary.sav

maxiewawa
November 12th, 2007, 05:02
Sorry, the file is called "dict.sav" . The same name as the directory.

Asitaka
December 31st, 2007, 04:30
I can't get this to load any dictionaries... I have patched and unpatched it, the *.nds is at the root file, it loads, and gives me a choice of the two dictionaries I have in the /dict folder, but it errors when opening. i have the 4 dict files named the same in the folder.

** Edit... somehow I magically got the dict opened, but it was buggy... and then suddenly... froze and now can't find them again.

Delicieuxz
August 31st, 2009, 23:12
I'm trying to find an English to Japanese dictionary, and all the ones I've downloaded from from StarDict have only given me the word in Japanese characters, and not in letter form. Does anyone know where I can find a dictionary that will translate "hello" into "Konnichiwa" rather than "こんにちはさようなら"?

It seems pretty stupid that none of those dictionaries automatically do that.

valleylad
October 4th, 2009, 05:50
Where on earth do you get the idxtoaoi.exe tool? I have been looking all over for it.......

valleylad
October 5th, 2009, 21:23
I found the IDXTOAOI tool and loaded the FreeDict English-Spanish and Spanish-English dictionaries (which I verified were working on the Windows version of StarDict) -- but when I load these on the NDS, it cannot find *any* words -- I mean literally that "apple" is not found in English, etc.

scktzi
November 2nd, 2009, 02:43
Does anyone know how to get it work on supercard(SDHC)?/ I tried every version I had managed to find but no way it worked at all; it had just displayed me an initial screen tnan freezed. btw someone more lucky can find the most recent one through clicking this link: http://filetrip.net/f1668-NewDictS.html