PDA

View Full Version : The New, Smaller PSP

wraggster
May 10th, 2007, 22:43
Via next gen (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5559&Itemid=53)

Oft-muttered rumors of a new PSP are once again in circulation. Sony is, according to industry tittle tattle, definitely working up a smaller lighter version of its handheld. Questions such as 'when' and 'what will they do about storage' aren't finding answers right now though the company is sticking with UMD. Don't say you're surprised. This is Sony, after all.

wolfpack
May 10th, 2007, 22:52
i kinda figured, it was only a matter of time

The King
May 10th, 2007, 22:54
Yet Another Idea Stolen From Nintendo To Sony Such A Shame

JKKDARK
May 10th, 2007, 23:04
but i will not buy another psp <_<

ryan2006
May 10th, 2007, 23:05

well sony has been making smaller consoles to the original launch one since the ps1 days but i do think it is just copying the ds lite. but hay if they do then the original psp will probs go down in price:p

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2007, 23:07

Yes, and what about every other form of technology which has been doing the same thing, becoming smaller.

Cell phones, computer moniters, portable radios, music players, pagers. The list can go on. Not to mention the slimline ps2.

Napalm-Death
May 10th, 2007, 23:09
Oh Em Gee!!1 I forgot when it was wrong to redesign your machines. Sony's done it with the PS1, PS2, and possibly the PS3, so how are they stealing ideas from Nintendo?

The King
May 10th, 2007, 23:16
first of all the motion senor controls. boom stolen idea there original controller had nothing of this is the making.

now tell me why do u think that there coming up with a newer version of the psp? for one reason only to combat the ds in the only way they know how by taking there opponents ideas and using it against them

iceman 47
May 10th, 2007, 23:19
but i kno this would be better then ds

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2007, 23:21
first of all the motion senor controls. boom stolen idea there original controller had nothing of this is the making.

now tell me why do u think that there coming up with a newer version of the psp? for one reason only to combat the ds in the only way they know how by taking there opponents ideas and using it against them

IMO

I think they had that idea all along. With the boomerang controller perfect for it. And they really didn't have much time to develop it.

gdf
May 10th, 2007, 23:22
hmm, if it could run h/brew i would be inerested...

JKKDARK
May 10th, 2007, 23:23
Oh Em Gee!!1 I forgot when it was wrong to redesign your machines. Sony's done it with the PS1, PS2, and possibly the PS3, so how are they stealing ideas from Nintendo?

Yes, and what about every other form of technology which has been doing the same thing, becoming smaller.

Cell phones, computer moniters, portable radios, music players, pagers. The list can go on. Not to mention the slimline ps2.

well sony has been making smaller consoles to the original launch one since the ps1 days but i do think it is just copying the ds lite. but hay if they do then the original psp will probs go down in price:p

Nintendo did it before with the NES and SNES

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2007, 23:25
Nintendo did it before with the NES and SNES

But they don't own the right to make the same product smaller!

Cars have done it for christ's sake!

Everyone loves the blame game with Sony!

Now if they were to call it the "psp-lite" then I would understand.

JKKDARK
May 10th, 2007, 23:30
But they don't own the right to make the same product smaller!

Cars have done it for christ's sake!

Everyone loves the blame game with Sony!

Now if they were to call it the "psp-lite" then I would understand.

Of course, Nintendo don't own the rights, but Nintendo got the ideas.

Gold Line
May 10th, 2007, 23:33
i dont like the way sony is i just dont

beefypotatoes
May 10th, 2007, 23:37
...though the company is sticking with UMD. Don't say you're surprised. This is Sony, after all.
What does this have to do with Sony? If its just a smaller version of the current PSP, of course it would use the same format. Imaging the uproar it would caues from old users if they changed the format.

Also, as others said, Nintendo wasn't the first company to redesign a product to be smaller.

Basil Zero
May 11th, 2007, 00:13
Woot

this is good for those who havent bought a psp yet(of course those who dont know about homebrew)

but anyways, i'm done with portables.

I have both a original PSP and a DSlite

I'm moving to the consoles now...and have my sights over to the Wii...WOOT!!!

g00gy
May 11th, 2007, 00:28
i wont buy another psp unless it has hoembrew and pops support.

Buddy4point0
May 11th, 2007, 00:32
if they leave everything the same size, but trim off the exta material above and below the screen, it will cut off over an inch. then make it thinner and it will be a great size for the poket!

Exophase
May 11th, 2007, 00:52
Almost every console that has ever had any popularity (and some that haven't) has gone through hardware revisions, and they almost always include making the thing smaller. It's not a brilliant innovation, it's common sense in production. Over the years processing improves and eventually you can condense many chips into one smaller one that produces less heat. That means that down the line you can start making smaller versions of the hardware that are also more cost effective.

So to everyone turning this into a company war, seriously, give it a break. It's stupid.

On the other hand, you really can't make the PSP smaller without making the screen smaller. So unless you want PSP to go Gameboy Micro on us, where size becomes a marketting gimick at an obvious cost to useability (it boggles my mind how many people love GBM, for the silliest reasons) then how about Sony leave the PSP at the size it is?

if they leave everything the same size, but trim off the exta material above and below the screen, it will cut off over an inch. then make it thinner and it will be a great size for the poket!

Wait, what? There's 1/4th of an inch above the screen on the top and 3/8ths of an inch at the bottom. That's 5/8ths, just over half an inch, and if you didn't notice there are several buttons at the bottom. There's no room for them anywhere else on the console, not in a place that'd make any kind of sense at least. And there's no room to cut off from either other edge without making the buttons smaller, which would be a huge mistake (and would barely save anything)

There's no extra room to cut anything off. If you want the screen to stay the size it is, you're going to have to live with the size PSP is, even if fanboys say it's too large (because it really isn't).

burrito
May 11th, 2007, 00:58
I don't believe this until Sony officially announces it. The article is just referring to rumors.

jmendes
May 11th, 2007, 02:35
psp power + keyboard + better controls + homebrew?
that would be awesome

F9zDark
May 11th, 2007, 02:35

Wrong. Sony, as evidence has suggested, had a patent for motion sensing controls long before Nintendo went public with their motion sensing controllers... In fact Sony's patent was filed a year before Nintendo ever made it public about the Wii-Mote; ya know during the days of Revolution, when Nintendo was cool.

And secondly, Nintendo's method uses Infrared sensors to determine the controller's occupancy in 3d space. Great for an onscreen mouse cursor (which is used by the Wii for that very purpose, aside from gaming).

Sony's method utilizes, from what I can surmise without even opening the controller, gyroscopic sensors which determine how the controller is tilted on a given axis.

From a technological standpoint Sony's is far superior, as it eliminates the possibility of mis-reads, errors and other such problems that plague the Wii, however, Sony's method cannot be used for a GOOD mouse cursor (it COULD be used for this purpose, but it would have flaws, since angular measurement would be a bitch to use to move a mouse cursor, mainly falling onto the user, rather than technological difficulty).

SnesR0X
May 11th, 2007, 03:14
id tap that

Shadowblind
May 11th, 2007, 03:36
Really, its so sad seeing a thread where lifeless Sony fanboys and Sony haters type massive paragraphs about why the other is wrong. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

They better not make a new PSP this fast. They just came out with the first PSP, what, 3 years ago? Besides, what they REALLY need is to have two analog sticks--and not the cheapa** kind they have now.

F9zDark
May 11th, 2007, 05:26
If this is in reference to me, I am not a Sony fanboy. And I am documenting fact. I get tired of people saying that Sony stole ideas from Nintendo, when in fact it seems that it was the other way around...

And besides, "stealing", or in this case competition, leads to better end products.

nataku92
May 11th, 2007, 05:43
I'm sort of doubting this rumor because the source doesn't seem very in-depth or reliable.

offtopic:

Wrong. Sony, as evidence has suggested, had a patent for motion sensing controls long before Nintendo went public with their motion sensing controllers... In fact Sony's patent was filed a year before Nintendo ever made it public about the Wii-Mote; ya know during the days of Revolution, when Nintendo was cool.

And secondly, Nintendo's method uses Infrared sensors to determine the controller's occupancy in 3d space. Great for an onscreen mouse cursor (which is used by the Wii for that very purpose, aside from gaming).

Sony's method utilizes, from what I can surmise without even opening the controller, gyroscopic sensors which determine how the controller is tilted on a given axis.

From a technological standpoint Sony's is far superior, as it eliminates the possibility of mis-reads, errors and other such problems that plague the Wii, however, Sony's method cannot be used for a GOOD mouse cursor (it COULD be used for this purpose, but it would have flaws, since angular measurement would be a bitch to use to move a mouse cursor, mainly falling onto the user, rather than technological difficulty).

You might want to check out this (http://www.time4.com/time4/microsites/popsci/howitworks/nintendo_wii.html) article. From what I can gather from that, it seems the wiimote is actually more technically superior.

Veskgar
May 11th, 2007, 07:21
If you want the screen to stay the size it is, you're going to have to live with the size PSP is, even if fanboys say it's too large (because it really isn't).

That's says it man! I don't know why so many people actually complain about the size of the PSP. Sure, it may not be the most pocket-friendly electronic device, but for all it can do who cares. The PSP is remarkably thin and I don't really mind the width. I like the look and feel of the PSP for the most part.

Nothing is perfect and I'm sure some inner-workings could be modified or shifted around if SONY wanted to redesign the PSP at some point.

I have 2 main concerns regarding a new hardware version of the PSP:

1.) If SONY is sticking with UMD, they better increase the drive speed to help out with loading times. Some games when played using the UMD have ridiculous load-times. This could also likely be in part to the way the game was coded but when backing up slow-loading games to play off the memory stick there is a noticeable difference.

2.) I would hope that they don't stop altogether selling the current PSP model. With new focus on a remodeled PSP, SONY may get sloppy again and maybe another exploit could be found and taken advantage of to downgrade "undowngradable" PSP's.

But perhaps most important of all, I hope the PSP homebrew scene continues at its current pace and keeps improving. We've come too far to just fizzle out.

F9zDark
May 11th, 2007, 08:21
I don't believe the PSP can get any smaller. Things are pretty crowded in there as it is, and I cannot imagine it will get any smaller or lighter and still maintain the features that make it a PSP...

Making the screen smaller is out the question entirely; because then the PSP would need to incorporate a downscaler to make due to the smaller screen resolution, or all games would require updates to handle this, which will never happen.

The only real way to get the PSP smaller is to make it thinner, but even then what can they possibly gain? A few millimeters? And making it thinner will probably be the result of a thinner cover, which would make the PSP feel frail and probably less likely to sustain damage and survive; which would be very bad. (I have dropped my PSP a few times and I am glad it was made very well, otherwise I'd be out of a PSP)

pibs
May 11th, 2007, 08:22
sony should just waste their time and money trying to fix the ps3 price and distribution b4 they make a big jump like this.

Micky_c_dog
May 11th, 2007, 11:30
look all sony can do is pack more features into the PSP if they change the screen older games(PSP 1) wont work and if they get rid of the UMD (which they have spent millions on ) the UMDs left over will only work for PSP 1 meaning the market is significantly smaller.EG if you had to trade in your PS2 in order to afford a ps3 but it didnt support backwards compatibility would you still buy god of war 2 for the hell of it. face it sony will lose too much money to do any drastic changes to the PSP

SnesR0X
May 11th, 2007, 17:40
newer tech, smaller parts, simple as that

F9zDark
May 11th, 2007, 18:29
newer tech, smaller parts, simple as that

Then surely you haven't seen the inside of the PSP. There is no way to make anything smaller in that thing. The net gain of smaller components would be in millimeters, hardly worth the designation of PSP Slim.

Trust me, this rumor is complete bullshit. Unless Sony tosses out UMD drive the PSP aint getting any smaller.

hd_
May 12th, 2007, 01:41
Well they could still redesign the controls. The dpad stinks, the analog is pretty stinky as well, and the right-side controls aren't perfect either. If they could increase the speed of the umd drive and slim the psp down just slightly (possibly extending battery life in some magical way)- then they could sell it as psp pro or something. If you could still run homebrew on it- I would buy it (and also keep my old one).

Gold Line
May 12th, 2007, 01:46
i bet sony would take the eboots out or something to stop homebrew for good

F9zDark
May 12th, 2007, 19:52
i bet sony would take the eboots out or something to stop homebrew for good

That would be foolish, since all games, UMD or downloaded demos, use eboots. They'd have to completely redesign their delivery system and it would make the new PSP incompatible with older titles.

aznTerz
May 15th, 2007, 00:56
heyz....
i guess i would buy another psp
but as long as its cheap and with better
functions and stuff

Shiesty
May 15th, 2007, 05:43
all they would have to do is make the dpad not suck so much and toss a second analog nub on there and shit, everyone would want one of those

twice the nubs = twice the psp sales

i should work for sony, i know all of you would buy one