PDA

View Full Version : Eyes-on NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams

wraggster
May 11th, 2007, 00:39
SEGA of America offered up a brief look at NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams at its pre-E3 Day 2007 in San Francisco on Thursday. Producer Takashi Iizuka took onlookers through a slideshow presentation meant to outline his vision for the flight-action title, which is based on a now-classic SEGA Saturn effort. Iizuka-san began by explaining that NiGHTS as a franchise was inspired by dreams.

"I want to explain the concept behind the dreams and how that inspired me with the game. I want to talk about dreams, not as a fantasy world, but the dreams everybody has when they go to sleep at night. Do you realize that your dreams are a way to uplift your spirit? So, behind that -- that's really where my core research started from."

Iizuka-san said he drew inspiration from Carl Gustav Jung, whose research on dream archetypes, including the great mother, old wiseman, shadow, anima and animus, provided the foundation for the characters in the NiGHTS universe. For example, the great mother is represented by the Nightmarens in Journey of Dreams, just as the shadow is actually NiGHTS.

"When developing the game, we really went into detail and thought about what dreams meant to everybody. The real vision behind the concept of NiGHTS was to bring this fantastical dream world to life. With the creation of NiGHTS the character, this was a character that I wanted to bring to life who was in everybody's dreams. With that dream-like character, NiGHTS is a character that everybody could meet in their dreams," said the producer.

Full Article (http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/787/787088p1.html)