PDA

View Full Version : WiFiController v0.4.3 Released!

wraggster
May 11th, 2007, 20:26
News/release from David Rudie (http://imk.cx/psp/wificontroller/)

I have released v0.4.3 a little earlier than I expected. It just took some time to sit down and think out a really simple solution. To my surprise, the server already had support for specifying a port and device. I guess I had overlooked this before. WiFiController is now taking advantage of this.

WHAT THIS IS AND WHAT THIS DOES
This basically turns your Sony PSP into a controller for your PC (running Microsoft Windows). How it works is that PPJoy provides a way to create a virtual joystick. We can then communicate with this virtual joystick as though it were a real joystick. This is accomplished by running a server in Microsoft Windows. The server just runs in the background waiting for a connection. When you start the WiFiController program on your Sony PSP it will establish a network connection over wireless using infrastructure mode. Once it establishes a connection and obtains an IP address it will connect to the server running on your PC. Once it has connected to your PC it will act just like a regular joystick.

CHANGES

v0.4.3
Renamed WiFiController.exe to WiFiServer.exe so it won't be confused for the actual PSP application itself.
Added the ability to act as up to 4 separate controllers.
Extended the life of some messages by 1 second. (This isn't in the CHANGES file itself.)

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Use_your_PSP_as_a_Wifi_Gamepad

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Buddy4point0
May 11th, 2007, 20:44
pretty cool. i dont think i will be controling me pc with my psp, but still good work

DarthPaul
May 11th, 2007, 20:47
Uff,nice. I've always wanted to control my PC with the PSP. To play videogames with the PSP's control system. I've used many applications like this,but I haven't got any to work yet,I hope I get this one to work,I'll give it a try.

AlinayG
May 11th, 2007, 21:24
Very very nice, i use the older version of this all the time and i sent in email to rudie about adding multiple controlers and i guess he did it, thank man *loads up smash bros*

drEDN4wt
May 11th, 2007, 21:25
Is it , or will it be wpa compatible?
I thought previous versions were great, if a bit boring to look at.
Keep 'em coming.

wolfpack
May 11th, 2007, 21:28
i now have wifi, so this is definitly worth a download for me :D

Joe88
May 11th, 2007, 21:29
just opened up the readme ...
its huge o_o

Veskgar
May 11th, 2007, 21:42
I was never able to get the last release working. I know it was something with my configuration so I just gave up. Seeing new updates for this will probably make me try again. It would be very convenient to have the PSP as a wireless controller.

Mister Klownes
May 11th, 2007, 22:18
I've got everything set up and configured, but it stalls out at Connection stage 2 of 4. I can't find any troubleshoot that addresses this. Any advice?

Kvonx
May 11th, 2007, 22:27
yes man dis iz awesome!!!!!!!!!!111 i still use this :)

Sonicboy 101
May 11th, 2007, 22:35
Controlling pc with psp?
sounds cool!

DarthPaul
May 12th, 2007, 00:25
Hey guys,I've been having a problem with my router since...months. I don't know how to fix it because I'm not good working with routers,I don't have much experience. The PSP is showing a DNS error..
So,I thought this could be my only opportunity to get some help. Please,if you can help me Private Message me or add me to my e-mail so we could chat through messenger. My e-mail address is there..

xg917
May 12th, 2007, 00:28
needs support for mac..

Gold Line
May 12th, 2007, 00:35
cool now i can play pc games with my psp :)

darknight88
May 12th, 2007, 03:04
Um...is he ever gonna add USB support instead of using the wifi??(currently me no wifi) I know this is a dumb Question but,if your gonna control your PC, you'll be near it anyways. Can someone ask him for me? I dont know how to contact him.Anyways nice app!

baracki96
May 12th, 2007, 05:07
Hmm, looks like no reported successes yet. I wonder if it would be futile to spend hours troubleshooting if I haven't seen evidence that it has ever worked.

mnuhaily22
May 12th, 2007, 05:28
WOW, it's been a very long time since an update...

sdpenaloza21
May 12th, 2007, 05:36
Works for me played Mario 64, and Touhou: shoot the bullet (Curtain fire type vertical shooter game - PC)
works really well for most games although have to remap for some games.

it works more or less like a gamepad, and the way the client (PSP) connects is identical to pimpsteamer (you see it go do that 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4 connection)

website is:
http://imk.cx/psp/wificontroller/ <<< link is on the starting post (just noticed now xD)

PPjoy download: http://www.rczilla.com/shop/fsm/PPJoySetup.zip <<< took me awhile to find a .83 ppjoy, the one on the developers website, gave me a not found error lol

Don't have any video to confirm, but it works for me, flawlessly i just followed the readme here is the text from it. (source: http://imk.cx/psp/wificontroller/ )

INSTALLATION
I'm going to attempt to explain how to get this working. These steps are all necessary and you should pay close attention to them.

1. Open the PSP directory and edit the proper wifi.cfg for your PSP version and set the IP of the computer you are going to use this on. If you don't know your IP address. Go to your "Start" menu. Click on "Run..." When the box opens up type "cmd.exe" without the quotes. When the command prompt opens type "ipconfig" without the quotes. It will report your IP address.
2. Copy the correct director(y|ies) to your PSP depending on whether you have a v1.00 or v1.50 PSP. If you use a custom firmware mod that allows the use of a single EBOOT.PBP files on a v1.50 PSP then you can use the v1.00 directory.
3. Download and install PPJoy.
4. After it is installed open up your "Control Panel" and click on "Parallel Port Joysticks".
5. When the window comes up click "Add..." at the bottom. On the next screen change "Parallel port" to "Virtual joysticks" and then click "Add."
6. It will want to install some drivers so either have it scan automatically or point it to the directory you installed PPJoy to.
7. After it is done installing, click the "PPJoy Virtual joystick 1" in the menu and click "Mapping..."
8. Choose "Set a custom mapping for this controller" and click "Next."
9. Set these options for best results.
Axes = 2 (X Axis and Y Axis)
Buttons = 9
POV hats = 1
10. X Axis = Analog 0
Y Axis = Analog 1
11. These buttons are up to you to set. You should leave "Button 1" set to "nothing" otherwise you may have problems using the Triangle button on your PSP later.
Button 1 = nothing
Button 2 = Digital 0
Button 3 = Digital 1
Button 4 = Digital 2
Button 5 = Digital 3
Button 6 = Digital 4
Button 7 = Digital 5
Button 8 = Digital 11
Button 9 = Digital 10
12. Directional button POV
North = Digital 6
East = Digital 7
West = Digital 9
South = Digital 8
13. Repeat the steps above to add up to a total of 4 joysticks.
14. Inside the PC directory, you will find a WiFiServer.exe. If you are just using one PSP to play games, you can run this file directly. If, however, you are or will be using more than one PSP, you will need to run one of the batch files in the directory. Simply double-click the batch file for the appropriate controller. You must have a server running for each controller you wish to use. The server(s) must also be running at all times while using the PSP as a joystick. When you are done using it, you can safely exit the program by pressing CTRL+C or clicking the close button for the window.

Example:
Two players will be playing a game. You will need to start the batch files for controller 1 and 2. Player 1 will choose Controller 1 from WiFiController and player 2 will choose Controller 2.

Note:
If the window opens and closes immediately, something went wrong and you'll need to either contact me or figure it out yourself. However, make sure you RETRY all the steps before contacting me. Also try reading over this site and the PPJoy website for help.
15. Now start the program on your PSP, choose your connection and your controller. It should connect to your computer and basically be working. You'll find out in the next step.
16. Go back to your Control Panel and go to Game Controllers. Click on "PPJoy Virtual joystick 1" and choose Properties. On the screen that comes up you should be able to press buttons on the PSP and have them show as working on the screen. I recommend calibrating the Analog Stick too.
17. Enjoy!

================================================== ==================

Also Note the part where it says control panel to Add controller to virtual gamepad and mapping is the configure joystick from the ppjoy installation.

The PC for the executable is in the zip (this is the server to be runned on computer) , then you run the client connection on the PSP and it should connect after you see a black screen with just the button mapping.

Check controllers in control panel of windows and you calibrate and check buttons there.

Basil Zero
May 12th, 2007, 06:57
This seems to be a interesting release...

sdpenaloza21
May 12th, 2007, 07:12
for first timers to trying wificontroller :D
here is a youtube vid showing how it works for 4.2
(the updates from 4.2 to 4.3 is stated on the starting post of the thread)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3OnP7hHLU

Here is a youtube with guide and link to make wificontroller a make shift mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zqumb2Nti8

Note: i found these vid links for both, didn't make either of them

another note for wificontroller is the Response time is pretty much instant didn't really get a delay even when i had a 50% signal strength

mauro2029
May 12th, 2007, 08:56
sweet, :) can't wait to try this out... USB support would be cool.... wi-fi usage eats up a lot of battery power

mnuhaily22
May 12th, 2007, 10:26
Hmm, looks like no reported successes yet. I wonder if it would be futile to spend hours troubleshooting if I haven't seen evidence that it has ever worked.
Works perfect 4 me...

pt9087
May 12th, 2007, 14:11
PSPgamepad! i used that like a year ago! also check out PSPvnc which is also kool because you can see your pc on your PSP!

sdpenaloza21
May 12th, 2007, 17:13
oh sweet didn't even know there was a vnc for the psp lol, thanks for the info pt =).

Update: bah pspvnc just give me a crash "memory bus error" lol, i'll just check it out later
Update2: very laggy some reason for PSPVNC thanks for the info gonna pass (besides using my comp through a TV, wireless controller is all i need, don't need a video feedback, its handy for other stuff though specially retreving files from internet), *sticks with wificontroller*

kjetil1991
May 12th, 2007, 18:08
is it home brew?:confused:

sdpenaloza21
May 12th, 2007, 18:26
is it home brew?:confused:

yup it is, pretty much any program you find on the internet for PSP is homebrew, because PSP was originally made just to run sony made or approved, programs and games.

ICE
May 12th, 2007, 19:12
holy crap this works better than my cheap gamepad lol. this is soooooooooooooo awesome.

mavsman4457
May 12th, 2007, 21:37
I remember using this a while ago and it hasn't seen an update in a while but it didn't really need one. Great application.

Zoen151
May 12th, 2007, 23:30
Alright, I'm having a weird problem here. I got everything configured correctly(I went over it 10 times) and I am at the controller screen for the PSP and the Analog stick is AT REST but reads as: "Analog X = 121" Analog Y = 114" Each time I move it to the corner(upper left) it reads X:0 Y:0. Also when I go to calibrate it, it doesn't read. None of the guides cover this problem. Any help?

sdpenaloza21
May 12th, 2007, 23:49
Alright, I'm having a weird problem here. I got everything configured correctly(I went over it 10 times) and I am at the controller screen for the PSP and the Analog stick is AT REST but reads as: "Analog X = 121" Analog Y = 114" Each time I move it to the corner(upper left) it reads X:0 Y:0. Also when I go to calibrate it, it doesn't read. None of the guides cover this problem. Any help?

the center on the joystiq wont be 0,0 on the axis oddly enough mine shows up center around 128 x and 126y it shouldn't give an issue in game though, i think the computer just fixes the difference from 0,0 as your center.

As for the Calibration on XP:
Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Game Controllers

at that point you should see "PPJoy Virtual joystick 1" And the Status should say "OK"

Highlight and go properties, check in there if the axes is in the middle, if not go to settings tab, try to calibrate there, the first screen will have the cross way on the left of the box but just follow the directions it centers in the end (you will need to confirm all movements it asks by pressing a button on the controller, the psp), hoping this helps a bit not sure why it wouldn't allow you to calibrate unless the OS denies the existance of the wificontroller.

If there is no controller in the control panel need to make sure ppjoy set up your virtual controller correctly

Zoen151
May 13th, 2007, 00:06
Yea, I did exactly that and the crosshair won't show up in the calibration box. but when I use Visual boy and try to configure the controller, It does this(by itself): [UP-Joy 1 left DOWN-Joy 1 up] and leaves the other buttons alone and doesn't even let me input anything. Is it my PSP?

Zoen151
May 13th, 2007, 00:18
Ok, found something out. When I show the properties box in "game controllers" it show the X and Y centered. But when I run "WiFiserver.exe" the crosshair in the properties box fires off to the upper left corner. Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

sdpenaloza21
May 13th, 2007, 00:33
hmm do you start wifiserver.exe first before starting up the PSP wificontroller?, dunno if that would do anything but might as well try =).

Zoen151
May 13th, 2007, 00:54
Yep. I've tried starting it before and after starting my PSP. I am using the designated settings in the readme file, and followed all the steps exactly. Maybe some higher power doesn't want me to use such a kick-ass program...

sdpenaloza21
May 13th, 2007, 01:21
only other way is asking the creator of the homebrew (from his page):

"CONTACT
If you wish to contact me regarding this program or any other reason, please send me an e-mail."
[email protected]

also his blog:
http://blog.imk.cx/

hope he can help ya out man, dunno what else could be wrong

Zoen151
May 13th, 2007, 01:46
sigh... I already talked to him and he sent me to the guide thingie. It doesn't address the problem either. I give up. Thanks for the help.

mnuhaily22
May 13th, 2007, 12:14
hmm do you start wifiserver.exe first before starting up the PSP wificontroller?, dunno if that would do anything but might as well try =).
Read the readme my friend...

godmode117
July 20th, 2007, 20:18
im having the same problems as zoen...

oops forgot to put ip address in wifi.cfg in PSP/GAME folder.

noobish mistake.