PDA

View Full Version : Bungie hits back at Miyamoto

wraggster
May 15th, 2007, 00:07
A seemingly narked Bungie has responded to comments made by Nintendo legend, Shigeru Miyamoto who claimed he could make Halo.

Last week Miyamoto was quoted saying: "I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to."

Taking that as a personal challenge, Bungie's Frank O'Connor told Joystiq: "I just want to go on the record and say that Bungie is hard at work on a side-scrolling platform game featuring some plumbers - I'm not going to say what their ethnicity is, it's none of anyone's business."

He went on to say: "We took [his comments] as a gauntlet, a sort of glove slap, and we're going to respond in 2D scrolling style. That's all I'm saying."

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163843&skip=yes)

Buddy4point0
May 15th, 2007, 00:32
lol! what a awsome dude!

MagnumKain
May 15th, 2007, 00:50
The current Bungie probably couldn't have done Halo if it weren't for the original team, who started it.

ShinMike
May 15th, 2007, 01:03
haha, yeah right miyamoto has done a lot for videogames, and they just categorize him as a 2d scrolling dude, dunno who is more dumb of them.

Elven6
May 15th, 2007, 01:04
The current Bungie probably couldn't have done Halo if it weren't for the original team, who started it.

Um dude Bungie is the original team they made Marathon and continued it onto Halo.

toymin80r
May 15th, 2007, 01:35
I hate this chit. I dont believe that Miyamoto could say anything at Bungie (which he didn't mention, he only mentioned a game they created), but Bungie (or really Frank O'Connor) cant say anything about Miyamoto, especially the fact that they tried to make fun of him with his creation of the game that changed (and revived) video games forever. I should slap Bungie with a powerglove, not for their comment about Miyamoto, but for making Halo 2 gay (by which i mean making it suck) a lot more when the original was so much better, the only downfall was no XBL, but at least there was XBC. Anyways, i like when this stuff happens, but not when people that audiences actually like are fighting (in words) like this.

O, and i strongly believe Miyamoto is more respected than anyone else in the video game industry, but he shouldn't have mentioned the thing about making halo, but that wasn't really his fault though, cause the interviewer was the one who brung up the fact that Halo sold more copies than Metroid in the US.

Just for some people who havent read it, heres the link to the original story when they first mentioned Halo: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20037961,00.html?cid=recirc-peopleRecirc

crookedmouth
May 15th, 2007, 01:47
How pathetic, they couldn't get in touch with Miyamoto and sort it out? It's so blatantly obvious that his statement was taken completely out of context. Yet here they are blurting out insults to Joystiq no less.They're going to feel like morons when they finally realize this, and rightly so.

heres the quote from interview

American gamers have bought more copies of Halo than they did of Metroid, for instance. Do you ever worry that you're losing touch with what young American players might want to play?
I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to.

He's not saying "I could have" and "chose not to", I'm almost positive he's saying, "I could make another Halo or Half-Life 2, but I chose to try something original. "
I'm also certain he doesn't mean Halo is a bad game, he's not stupid for gods sake. In the 90's he would have used whatever game that was ultra popular as an example such as Doom.

gamev8
May 15th, 2007, 01:48
I don't think Miyamoto's statement was all that infuriating he was simply saying that he was capable of making games of Halo’s type it wasn’t a slam on Bungie.

Shadowblind
May 15th, 2007, 01:57
How pathetic, they couldn't get in touch with Miyamoto and sort it out?

You forget--it takes two to make up. Its no one horse, or Bungie, job.

However, its like saying that all the skill Bungie had at creating video games, he could have matched that skill equally if not better. That my friend, is an insult.

crookedmouth
May 15th, 2007, 04:20
If you read my post, I was saying he was misquoted by Entertainment Weekly.com. If I'm wrong so be it, if I'm right then there was no insult to begin with.
I guess I have to try and say it different. It's my contention that he was just saying he could make another game like Halo, or another Halo Clone.He wasn't saying Bungie has no skill and he could make any game better than them. Over the years there has been no sign of Miyamoto being an egotistical prick, actual all evidence points to him being a fun loving humble guy who just enjoys entertaining people.
All he is saying(in my opinion) is that he wants to create original games instead of "safe" games. Obviously Halo is a great game but let's face it, it's been done before.

ICE
May 15th, 2007, 05:21
miyamoto- (paraphrase) i dont wanna make a fps because its too easy/and or boring.

bungie- (paraphrase) oh yeah then we're gonna make a game thats genre was perfected 15 years ago!!

um yeah that'll show him bungie..

Balthasar00
May 15th, 2007, 05:24
Haha! I can wait to see Bungie's 2d scroller.. will be good? not sure. Funny ? I hope so! :P

Bungie is successful, today. What will it be in 22 years?

ICE
May 15th, 2007, 05:35
this makes me laugh. bungie has made like 2 games. halo and myth.

a generic shooter and an rpg WOW.

miyamoto made donkey kong, zelda, mario, pikmin, starfox, wii sports, and waverace.

the two shouldnt even be mentioned together.
miyamoto is basically a game god and bungie is just another publisher.

Buddy4point0
May 15th, 2007, 11:00
but i love how bungie was like yea were gonna make a 2d side scroller featuring some plumbers

Hyrule_boy
May 15th, 2007, 15:54
Miyamoto didn't ment it as an insult! I really like the Halo serie but it's at most points just an 'normal' FPS. Miyamoto created Metroid Prime instead of an 'normal' fps. And it sold not as much as the Halo game's but I'm damn happy Miyamoto made it! Both games rock! and it's a bit sad to see that Bungie took Miyamoto's comment as an insult... -_-'

thejonbell
May 15th, 2007, 22:55
lol; who was it that was in time magazine, in the 100 most important people or something like that?

i'm pretty sure it wasnt ANYONE from bungie.

Shadowblind
May 15th, 2007, 23:28
this makes me laugh. bungie has made like 2 games. halo and myth.

a generic shooter and an rpg WOW.

Interestingly, those two games have had almost the impact of all those others combined. If you mean Myst, that is.

How do we know that quote was fun, humble, and not out of spite, jealosy, or otherwise? Maybe he mis-said it. Maybe it was an envious comment. Who knows. I just go with what it sounds like.

ICE
May 15th, 2007, 23:36
no i mean myth. didnt ubisoft make myst?

myth was an overly difficult game that not many people like and halo is just another in a long line of fps.

they had NO WHERE near the impact of miyamoto's games. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

the fist platformer 2d and 3d, the first 2d sidescroller, the first rpg, first open world game, first flight sim(i think) etc etc...

so tell me how bungie compares to that.

Shadowblind
May 15th, 2007, 23:39
Personally, I can;t see whats so great about Halo. Yeah its nice, but....c'mon, Timeplitters FP was better. So was Quake 4. But as it seems, this game--Halo--seemed to revolutionize gaming. Still, Bungie reacted just like Miyamoto--ok maybe not as cocky, but close. Too bad they cant get along.

P.S. Myth? Never heard of it. Come to think of it, haven't heard much of any Bungie game lately, 'cept for Halo...

crookedmouth
May 16th, 2007, 01:53
How do we know that quote was fun, humble, and not out of spite, jealosy, or otherwise? Maybe he mis-said it. Maybe it was an envious comment. Who knows. I just go with what it sounds like.

I've been an avid gamer since 1978, and have followed the industry closely. I've read and watched many interviews with Miyamoto, what I was saying is the man seems fun loving and humble not some quote from EW.com. I don't just go by how something sounds, I use deductive reasoning and research.
Even though I think Bungie has made some good games, it's laughable to think Miyamoto would be jealous.

Bungie games I enjoyed
Minotaur on the Mac was actually a very good rpg for the time
Myth on the PC was very hard and very cool strategy game.
Marathon was supposed to be good but I never played it.
Oni was a cool action game with unique controls.

Miyamoto games I enjoyed
Don't feel like writing all night. I'll say this, It's hard to describe the feeling of playing Donkey Kong for the first time 26 years ago. Today I'm sure it seems like an ultra simple run and jump platform game but in 1981 it was revolutionary.

But as it seems, this game--Halo--seemed to revolutionize gaming
huh revolutionize what?

Shadowblind
May 16th, 2007, 03:09
I've been an avid gamer since 1978, and have followed the industry closely. I've read and watched many interviews with Miyamoto, what I was saying is the man seems fun loving and humble not some quote from EW.com. I don't just go by how something sounds, I use deductive reasoning and research.
Even though I think Bungie has made some good games, it's laughable to think Miyamoto would be jealous.

huh revolutionize what?

Laughable--maybe. Unreasonable--no. People aren't always what they seem. Like I said before--I take things how they sound. Thats how most people, outside of avid gamers, will.

Revolutionize? Heck if I know. FPS, I suppose. But, as I've said, I don't see the greatness about it. Halo's fanbase is huge--really huge. I'd say even enough to match Marios, and/or surpass it. Now if it was say, id versus Miyamoto, that'd be a tough choice.

But like I've said before, I, as well as most people, take things as how they sound.

I'd go as far to say that no game, ever, has ever had as much a huge gamers base then Halo. A release for Halo, to some people is like entering a paradise. Sad, but true. Really, I can't recall any game, released by anyone who has matched Halo in such a way.

Gotta say though, I enjoyed Quake 4 far more then I did Halo 2.

ICE
May 16th, 2007, 03:15
halo= over rated generic shooter.

Shadowblind
May 16th, 2007, 03:16

There is much truth to your words :)

If someone can point out what makes it better, please do, and don't give me OMGZ PLASMA NADES!!!111

Gold Line
May 16th, 2007, 03:21

i agree its not that great

ICE
May 16th, 2007, 03:22
all they did was figure out how to make fps online work really well first. the gameplay and/or graphics are generic.

Shadowblind
May 16th, 2007, 03:28
all they did was figure out how to make fps online work really well first. the gameplay and/or graphics are generic.

Meh---Halo 1 I could stand to be called a revolutionary shooter, for Bungie's innovative though. But 2--no. All two did was make one of the first good online shooters, which actually was very cheap. 2 hits from a four-clip rifle kills you. If you get a rifel, your practically indestructable, from what I've seen. Thats why I like Gears of War. Except for the Snipers active reloads...

crookedmouth
May 16th, 2007, 05:03
There is no doubt as to the popularity of Halo, people line up in adult diapers for it.
What I'm saying is popularity does not equal revolutionary or originality, and Halo is neither of these. If you can point out what makes it innovative or revolutionary then I'll shut up.Personally I think they were purchased by microsoft at a perfect time and hyped huge by the release of the xbox.
I also think to call it a generic shooter is a bit naive.

ICE
May 16th, 2007, 05:10
There is no doubt as to the popularity of Halo, people line up in adult diapers for it.
What I'm saying is popularity does not equal revolutionary or originality, and Halo is neither of these. If you can point out what makes it innovative or revolutionary then I'll shut up.Personally I think they were purchased by microsoft at a perfect time and hyped huge by the release of the xbox.
I also think to call it a generic shooter is a bit naive.

did you just call yourself naive? lol im just saying that its just another in a long line of shooters. there is NOTHING halo does or any importance that hasnt been done before.

crookedmouth
May 16th, 2007, 08:26
did you just call yourself naive?

No I didn't. While I find Halo to be neither revolutionary nor totally original, I wouldn't call it generic at all. It has great production values and art direction. The maps are well thought out. The game has some real polish and was put together by people who cared.When I think generic, I think like WW2 sniper by Infrogames or whatever.
I'll rephrase, it's dumb to say Halo is a bad game, because thats just not true.

Cap'n 1time
May 16th, 2007, 08:53
No one, not even Bungie or Frank O'Connor can insult Miyamoto. Miyamoto and Nintendo sort of brought videogames out a depression. It's safe to say Halo and the Xbox may not have existed without him. As for those 2D plumbers.. well they have done a hell of a lot more (and sold a lot more) than Bungies generic shooter. If it weren't for Halo's entertaining story and Incredible Sound Tracks I'd probably throw it in there with those other lame tired shooters that no one ever plays. No, Halo's content manager is nothing compared to the mighty demi-god Miyamoto and anyone that says otherwise either doesnt know enough about the man or is just an idiot.

I'll rephrase, it's dumb to say Halo is a bad game, because thats just not true.
I dont think he said it was a bad game, just generic, and he's right. There is NOTHING revolutionary about the gameplay. Now there are a few bits of halo that do make it special. The story is quite good and I would say the soundtracks are quite revolutionary. Bungie along with microsoft also found the best and most comfortable way to play a FPS with a gamepad.. but thats the extent of Halo's... revolutionary-ness.

On a side note, I think Halo should be done in the unreal engine 3.. I mean why attempt to rip something off when you can use the real thing?

toymin80r
May 18th, 2007, 02:50
man, this is off topic but the Beta for H3 wasn't that good, better than H2, but nothing like the original. H2 sucked ma nutz and the first one was (and still is) the best shooter for any console, reason being was because it was the first fps on a console to have these huge maps and vehicles to ride in, and up to 16 players and for other reasons too. Now, it doesn't even take skill on H2 or in H3 to kill someone. Now its just point and shoot, H1 took skill, timing, and good coordination. So yea, i just had to say this for the people who didn't see anything different in the original Halo than in any other FPS out there, so im just giving my point. However, i do think Bungie is kinda loosing me right now with all these changes that will help out a lot of noobs to get good at the games real fast.

Edit: O, and Cap'n, Bungie actually time creating the engine and physics for the original halo, i think they took around 4 years to just finish completing those things. They didn't use any other engine, and it would've been crap if they used the unreal engine, no matter how good it would've looked. I'm just saying, if any game company is willing to spend all of that time creating an engine for just one single game, they should be respected or appreciated for at least taking time doing it. But the turning point happened in H2, when Bungie threw all of the old engine away and made this heavy feeling environment in H2 after all that time in H1 was gone to waste. They should've left most of there things alone and just created some new levels with XBL play for H1. I bet you that would sell a lot more than h2 would've ever sold. They should just put the original halo on the Marketplace and sell it for like 20 bucks worth of MS points and add XBL capability to the original halo with no changes. It'll be just like a dream i had.

Wii60_FTW
May 20th, 2007, 06:04
All I've got to say is, I love Bungie and Miyamoto. HALO 3 BETA!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHHAHA eh hem.....

burpyierz
May 20th, 2007, 06:20
that guy never played Zelda and Mario since Nintendo 64 lol
he was stuck on Supernes ? lol ;D
personally i hate Halo, i dont get why people like that game so much, it just sux

Cap'n 1time
May 20th, 2007, 08:09
Edit: O, and Cap'n, Bungie actually time creating the engine and physics for the original halo, i think they took around 4 years to just finish completing those things. They didn't use any other engine, and it would've been crap if they used the unreal engine, no matter how good it would've looked...

I suggested the unreal engine, but it had NOTHING to do with looks. Unreal is hands down the superior FPS engine of the day... Bungie's engine was just something that had been done before, cept with an added clunky, bland feel to it. Halo 2 was again bland, but this time with slightly less bland rag dolls. I wonder if they would have saved money on production cost if they had just licensed the Unreal engine... god knows it probably would have gotten more attention from those of us who think Halo is just another lame generic FPS with a somewhat cool story and a rather amazing soundtrack...

yaustar
May 20th, 2007, 16:32
It is also worth noting that Miyamoto was involved in a major part of the design of Metriod Prime (although not technically a FPS):
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/39/11