PDA

View Full Version : Sony committed to PS3 "for 10 years and beyond"

wraggster
May 15th, 2007, 00:55
via gibiz (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24960)

SCEA president Jack Tretton has confirmed that the company has long term plans for PlayStation 3, playing down concerns over initial sales figures.

As reported by the LA Times, 1.2 million PS3 consoles have been sold in the US since November. The figure for Wii, which launched around the same time, stands at 2.1 million, while Microsoft's 18 month lead has given Xbox 360 an installed base of 5.3 million units.

"We didn't get into PS3 for the first six months of 2007 - we're into this for the next 10 years and beyond," said Tretton.

"A million units one way or another at this point isn't going to worry us."

Tretton's argument was backed up by IDC analyst Billy Pidgeon, who agreed that Sony is playing a longer game. "The PS3 is ahead of the market, while the Xbox 360 and the Wii were designed for immediate market impact," he said. Pidgeon also confirmed that he expects sales of Sony's next-gen console to ramp up in 2008.

However Kyoshi Shin of Japan's International Game Developers' Association was less positive, suggesting that many developers are shifting their focus to Nintendo Wii.

"When people talk about the PS3 on chat forums, they say it's like going to a very expensive restaurant and not getting anything to eat," he added.

Buddy4point0
May 15th, 2007, 01:05
work on the psp more, its awsome

Shadowblind
May 15th, 2007, 01:13
Wait, only 5.3 million 360s were sold by then? Then that means that the 360 sold over 5 million in the time the Wii and PS3 were out! o_0

Go Wii60...

Xcliber
May 15th, 2007, 02:24
no 5.3 million since the realease of the 360
or r u jus kidding arount? :)

on topic:
I highly doubt that the PS3 will last for 10+ years in the computer gaming world, because logically speaking computers speed and power double every year. so by the time 2018 rolls around the PS3 is going to look like the next PS1...
...scratch, ...is going to look like the next n64

felonyr301
May 15th, 2007, 02:38
technology is moving too fast and ps3 cannot last for 10 years and besides many people love new technology stuff so Sony it's more like 6 years tops!!!

Shadowblind
May 15th, 2007, 02:43
no 5.3 million since the realease of the 360
or r u jus kidding arount? :)

No, 360 is at 10.7 million now :)

JKKDARK
May 15th, 2007, 02:52
When people talk about the PS3 on chat forums, they say it's like going to a very expensive restaurant and not getting anything to eat

He visited DCEmu! :p

jmendes
May 15th, 2007, 03:05
Commited to the ps3 for the next 10 years? thatīs just a prediction, who the hell knows if the ps3 will still be selling in 6 years? Based on the ps2 success, it might though.

JKKDARK
May 15th, 2007, 03:15
Well, PSX had official releases until 2004. The system was alive 10 years.
PS2 launched in 2000 and we still see new releases.
These consoles were replaced after 6 years, but official releases were and are still released.

Veskgar
May 15th, 2007, 06:51
The PS3 will be strong for a while probably starting at the end of this year and for at least a few years to come. I don't know about 10 years though.

Technology is out pacing a lot of things, including game developers deadlines. Meaning, the PS3 will start seeing more success when developers finally take the time to design fantastic games knowing the technology is there to articulate an present that game.

I'm sick of rushed games that are obviously geared towards the majority of blind consumers that will buy mostly anything rushed out.

Gamers need to unite and speak up or start a movement to get the industry to know that we have had enough. The PS3 could be great. Lets hope that is the end result.

Basil Zero
May 15th, 2007, 07:31
I agree, the PS3 will have alot of good titles in 2008-2009.

The reason why devs are shifting, is because of ps3's price, hopefully sony can do something about it(not anytime soon i doubt).

I really do not see devs turning to Wii, I mean barely any titles have been announced for Wii comparing to both PS3 and the Xbox360.

I'm pretty sure PS3 will last 10 years, I dont like comparing gaming consoles to an actual pc.

PC gaming isnt my type of gaming anyways.

Now what would be awesome is if the new ps3 has changeable parts..now that would be pwnage.

But to be realistic, PS3 is going to have some troubles in the future(coming months), similar to what PSP has gone through, but look at it now.

PSP has been highly criticized, people even said it wont last 2 years....but guess what...it DID...and its stronger than ever especially with a lot of titles announced for it.

I'm confident that PS3 will be successful, just needs time to pass.

Accordion
May 15th, 2007, 09:10
sony has always said this 10 year life span for consoles, nothings changed. im not sure whether the ps1 lasted 10 years, but the ps2 is still selling well, and both consoles have outlived the rivals .

RV2006
May 15th, 2007, 11:12
The PS3 might be sucessful over the next years, (because people would've saved enough money by then to actually buy one!) if the games are good enough graphically!
Because lets admit it, I can only name around
20 PS2 games that were both original and had great gameplay, and most of the other thousands of games were graphics whores, movie tie-ins, or rehashed sequals.
But people buy this stuff so as long as Sony keeps selling these games, people will buy them.
So I can see why Sony might last 10 years
(unless theres some kind of industry crash...)

Abgoj
May 15th, 2007, 16:20
10 years.... you think we'll see a price cut by then lol