PDA

View Full Version : Small Steps for PS3 Homebrew

mavsman4457
May 15th, 2007, 22:19
This seems to be a small and important step in the direction of PS3 homebrew. It is a .bld that allows you to load ELF's without going into Linux. I'm not very knowledgable on this but a download link can be found here: http://www.ps3rips.com/files/otheros_demo_1.0.zip Please report any successes or failures. This is where it is originally from: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8333&sid=318b6967ba374c6372a095ed5a41cb05

Triv1um
May 15th, 2007, 23:25
I'm not sure I understand this.

this launches elf files how? it doesn't touch the hdd or any media?

and this wouldn't get the full capabilities of the console because its going through otheros? right?

sorry, I really don't know what I'm talking about with shit like this.

F9zDark
May 16th, 2007, 06:40
You need to setup your PS3 to use linux, but don't actually have to install anything.

Triv1um
May 17th, 2007, 09:10
well my ps3 is running ubuntu right now, so would I have to format?

F9zDark
May 17th, 2007, 18:44
No, but I think you have to install the new BLD file under Settings>Install Other OS. That will make it boot into the ELF loader or Homebrew program every time you use the Other OS.

mavsman4457
May 18th, 2007, 20:43
well my ps3 is running ubuntu right now, so would I have to format?

This is the part that makes me hesitate. I spent at least a few hours getting Ubuntu installed on my PS3 and even though it probably hasn't been worth it so far, besides learning to use ubuntu better, I wouldn't want to ruin all of my hard work for a POC. I'm just going to wait for a real exploit and some real homebrew.

F9zDark
May 18th, 2007, 21:33
This is the part that makes me hesitate. I spent at least a few hours getting Ubuntu installed on my PS3 and even though it probably hasn't been worth it so far, besides learning to use ubuntu better, I wouldn't want to ruin all of my hard work for a POC. I'm just going to wait for a real exploit and some real homebrew.

Using this wont interfere with your Linux installation. However, you will need to get the original otheros.bld for Ubuntu or from Sony to get your installation working again (as far as I know). However it will not erase, remove or damage your linux installation in any way.