PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus Dynarec Fixes

Wally
May 16th, 2007, 00:45
Dynarec Fixes

In the previous update I mentioned that the dynarec wasn't working with Goldeneye:

...I can still only get the rom running with dynarec disabled on the PSP, so the framerate is currently just 6-7 fps. Interestingly it runs fine with dynarec on the PC with the same set of changes, so this indicates a bug somewhere in the PSP dynarec implementation.

I've spent a couple of evenings investigating this problem, and I've finally had a bit of luck in determining the root cause. As I suspected it was due to a bug in the PSP dynarec implementation - it turns out that I was fiddling addresses to compensate for the different endianness of the PSP twice (essentially having the same effect as not compensating in the first place).

The fix was very easy to implement (just a single line of code). It's quite a significant bug, so I'm hoping that it will fix dynarec issues with a few other roms too. Unfortunately it looks like the bug which is preventing dynarec working with Super Smash Bros. is a different issue, so I'll have to spend some more time investigating that.

I'm pleased to say that Goldeneye is now running fine with dynarec, so it now boots and runs the intro sequence very quickly. Although the intro and menu run at around 30-60fps, in-game is still very slow (around 5-8fps) so I need to profile this and see what's going on.

As I've hinted above, the next job is to have a look why dynarec is causing Super Smash Bros to hang. A cursory look revealed that it's still broken even when I disable most of the native code generation and directly call the interpretive instruction handlers from the compiled fragment. Because of this I think the problem has something to do with how traces are selected and the resulting fragments are linked together. I'll know more later in the week.

-StrmnNrmn

Source: http://strmnNrmn.blogspot.com

mfz64
May 16th, 2007, 00:53
sounds to me that R12 is coming on pretty nicely :)

Heero808
May 16th, 2007, 01:10
awesome its slowly getting the bugs out is the first order business

wolfpack
May 16th, 2007, 01:11
hell yea! go goldeneye!

CaptainMorgan4
May 16th, 2007, 01:11
Yeah I think R12 is going to be an AMAZING release, having the SSB, Goldeneye, and possibly others issues fixed is great!

ICE
May 16th, 2007, 01:39
smash was nearly playable without dynarec so when he gets its running.... YAY!!

Buddy4point0
May 16th, 2007, 01:57
sweet! i wonder if when u fix the dyneric for ssb it will speed up golden eye.

DarthPaul
May 16th, 2007, 02:26
Hell yeah!

PLZKLLME0080
May 16th, 2007, 02:42
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! now im gonna have to take some ADHD pills to calm me down!

Veskgar
May 16th, 2007, 02:56
awesome its slowly getting the bugs out is the first order business

Yeah, its nice to see a good balance between performance & compatibility as well as eliminating bugs.

I'll say it once more. Every release lately gets more and more exciting. This guy is one brilliant coder.

Basil Zero
May 16th, 2007, 08:24
YAY

N64 Emulator, glad he's still making it, breathes new life to the psp scene.

Psyberjock
May 16th, 2007, 09:10
I can follow everything he's saying, but I couldn't do a bit of it. StrmnNrmn has seriously got the skills to pay the bills.

Based on his frequency of releases, difficulty of programming, and desire to explain it all as he goes, I believe StrmnNrmn is the best programmer in the PSP scene.

Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of very talented programmers. Dark_Alex, AhMan, Deniska, the Noobz guys, and others too numerous to name. But the comprehension of every underlying programming system of multiple gaming systems and the detail in which he explains his updates brings StrmnNrmn to the front of the crowd.

Great work Nrmn! I know this is just your hobby, but I sure hope you get paid well for whatever it is you do. And however much that is, it probably isn't enough.

Gold Line
May 16th, 2007, 09:15
well StrmnNrmn is one of the best psp coders ever, but dark-alex still stays as the best psp coder full stop.

jason215
May 16th, 2007, 10:34
i dont think you can compare them ?

kharaboudjan
May 16th, 2007, 11:54
Nope u cant compare them.. they are doing so very diffrent things..

jurkevicz
May 16th, 2007, 18:37
don't forget NJ.

gimpyjr
May 16th, 2007, 20:03
I remember when the PSP scene first started and everyone said "N64 emulation on PSP is impossible"

I just have one thing to say

your assumptions were WRONG! It was possible it just took time :-)

well done. R12 will be seriously awsome

tallica
May 16th, 2007, 20:46
Wow this is going to be one of the most memoreable releases.

tallica
May 16th, 2007, 22:21
Wow this is going to be one of the most memoreable releases.

d3v1l
May 17th, 2007, 09:00
cant wait to play goldeneye :D hopefully it'll get fixed soon so goldeneye plays full speed :D

aznTerz
May 17th, 2007, 09:11
cant wait for r12....
its feels like its goin to run alot of
great games

emuking
May 18th, 2007, 00:28
its confusing trying to understand everything he is saying but i at least understand that there is progress on ssb and golden eye