PDA

View Full Version : Games should focus on world issues, says Free Radical

wraggster
May 16th, 2007, 22:10
Free Radical's Rob Yescombe, scriptwriter for the upcoming Haze, says next-gen games should focus on "becoming more mature" and reflect real-world issues.

In a rant with Edge Magazine, Yescombe turned to Halo 3 to explain: "While Halo is brilliant, you're a teenager - the next-gen is about becoming more mature."

He continued, "It's about what's happening in the world today - it's ludicrous, and how can you make something that doesn't reflect that? Well, you could bury your head in the sand and make Halo 3, but the fact of the matter is there are more important things at stake."

Well, we'll get home at 6:30pm tonight and the most important thing to us will be getting the Halo 3 beta up and running (providing our 360 doesn't unleash the red lights of death on us... again).

via cvg (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=164038&skip=yes)

woods05
May 16th, 2007, 23:39
i think Free Radical has lost their minds,

omitting the Wii from their development plans. They should just give up right now.

Broadus
May 17th, 2007, 00:03
Covering world issues is all fine and good and educational, but suggesting that every game needs to somehow be relevant to reality is really overdoing it, and not every game maker in the world is going to have their vision of a game be based on something modern or political or whatever.

Basil Zero
May 17th, 2007, 05:55
Yup lost their minds

unless those games involves aliens, dragons, or zombies.

ShinMike
May 17th, 2007, 06:09
well he got a point there, companies selling massive games, that wont even wake up some kind of consciousness in the audience, its just what tv is nowdays

b8a
May 17th, 2007, 08:23
Ha! And this guy still has a job???? It's amazing the types of ... out of touch weirdoes that are trusted to run this industry. If that's what he wants to do, I'm sure there's _some_ market for it, but I hope he won't be surprised when no one buys it.

And besides, you can bring more people together from all sorts of diverse backgrounds with the completely over-the-wall, ridiculous, entirely fictitious problems in games, then you can by reinforcing age-old grudges and grinding salt in the wounds of real people with real problems. If he wants to educate a few people, hey, good for him, but if he actually wants to make a difference in the world and improve it, he's completely delusional.

dark heart
May 18th, 2007, 09:11
whaaaaaaat???

get a job!

now i will laugh with disrespect and ridicule...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah