PDA

View Full Version : Vflash game console

wraggster
May 16th, 2007, 22:48
http://www.vtechkids.com/images/btn_all_VFlash_over.jpg

via insert credit (http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/001764.html)

Good ole james found this curious new product, the Vflash. There's a bit more info here, and a product demo here. Unlike other edutainment efforts, this one actually has a 3D processor. I wonder what kind?

It has a (8 meg) memory card slot, and uses discs for media. You can apparently 'make animation' with it, and save those to the card, as well as three game saves. Two controller ports...the controller looks a bit low rent, but the whole thing costs $99, so what can you ask for really? I do like how self-explanatory the buttons are - 'enter,' 'exit,' 'menu,' etc. Four face buttons, two shoulder buttons. If you check here, you can find the full product suite, including games. Spider-Man, Scooby Doo, Cars, etc. And the graphics don't look too shabby, considering. You get the best sense of that by watching the videos on the main page. This is building off their Vsmile handheld product too (which uses custom carts)... I just can't get enough of weird game technology. Thank goodness people keep making it!

Vtech itself is based in hong kong, and sells this stuff in the chinese market as well. I don't know - somehow I wonder if they didn't get ahold of a bunch of old Dreamcast chips... (actually it's apparently an ARM9 processor...like the GP2X, though there are different speeds of course)

toymin80r
May 17th, 2007, 02:45
looks like they like the snes purple/gray color. It looks alright, dont know if im willing to buy it for 99 bucks though.

robocelot
May 17th, 2007, 04:20
I think the Dreamcast used the Hitachi SH-4, not a StrongARM processor.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the guts of this beast was an Intel PXA 270 (StrongARM compatable) using a 3D graphics processor. If this sounds like the specs for the Dell Axim X51V Pocket PC then you are right. Too bad this platform didn't take off for portable gaming. It's on par with the PSP in terms of power.

nr.56
May 17th, 2007, 09:17
I think the Dreamcast used the Hitachi SH-4, not a StrongARM processor.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the guts of this beast was an Intel PXA 270 (StrongARM compatable) using a 3D graphics processor. If this sounds like the specs for the Dell Axim X51V Pocket PC then you are right. Too bad this platform didn't take off for portable gaming. It's on par with the PSP in terms of power.

iff that is true emulation till n64 and playstation1 should be possible. not bad for only 99$! :thumbup: but without a homebrew community it makes no sense.