PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Peter Moore Dreamcasts the PS3

wraggster
May 16th, 2007, 23:09
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/16/microsofts-peter-moore-dreamcasts-the-ps3/)

When the topic of sluggish PlayStation 3 sales is brought up, Peter Moore recalls his previous corporate life and asks, "Remember the Dreamcast?" Speaking to Next-Generation's Colin Campbell, the Microsoft exec compares Sony's current difficulties with those he experienced with Sega on its final console. "We thought we were doing right," he says. "All of a sudden it didn't pan out."

Though we're not privy to the same lucid and possibly prophetic dreams Mr. Moore is, lumping Sony's latest effort into the same category as the Dreamcast brings with it many sticky implications, intended or not. Is Moore saying the PlayStation 3 is failing to "pan out" for Sony, less than a year into its supposed ten-year life? Sega came out of the gate strongly and promptly drove off a financial cliff like Thelma and Louise, whereas Sony is off to a slow start and has every chance of picking up the pace. Moore goes on to say that Sony's focus on the Cell processor and the Blu-ray drive was a mistake, that it "miscalculated the global consumer's appetite for the experience the offered at the price point they offered it at." But wasn't the PS2's "Emotion Engine" and DVD drive instrumental in its triumph over Moore's ex-box?

We remember when the Xbox 360 was given the Dreamcast treatment as a means to highlight impending failure, and it was as odd then as it is now. Despite the system's commercial demise under the watch of a struggling manufacturer, it enjoyed amazing first-party support and is still remembered for hosting some remarkable games and innovations. When did being compared to the Dreamcast become such a bad thing?

DPyro
May 16th, 2007, 23:25
The guy is an idiot. The PS3 is doing better than the Xbox 360 at this time last year.

Look (http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&align=1)

JKKDARK
May 16th, 2007, 23:26
The guy is an idiot. The PS3 is doing better than the Xbox 360 at this time last year.

And it's losing all the big exclusive titles

DPyro
May 16th, 2007, 23:36
And it's losing all the big exclusive titles

What 'BIG' exclusives. PS3 has FFXIII and FFXIII-Versus, MGS4, LAIR, LittleBigPlanet, Ninja Gaiden: Sigma, Heavenly Sword etc. DMC4 will still be going to PS3 (and will most likely be better).

JKKDARK
May 16th, 2007, 23:54
What 'BIG' exclusives.

Armored Core 4, Guitar Hero 2, Samurai Warriors 2/Empires, Virtua Fighter 5, Grand Theft Auto 4, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XI

Facho
May 16th, 2007, 23:54
That's a faulty comparison, the reasons why the Dreamcast failed have nothing to do with the PS3, which is not a failure at any degree.

One can easily see where Microsoft went wrong on the 360. The failure rates are huge, the red lights of death are a usual event, the HD DVD add-on is a failure comparing to the PS3's BD, the small HDD has no sense (can't see why sony went on the same) and the lack of HDMI, plus ripping the consumer on launching an upgraded console with HDMI, ain't that a damn shame...

PS3 a failure, don't see where, don't see why

DPyro
May 17th, 2007, 00:00
Armored Core 4, Guitar Hero 2, [edit] Samurai Warriors 2/Empires, Virtua Fighter 5, Grand Theft Auto 4, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XI

The only one of those that could be considered a big exclusive is GTA. Other than that, none of those games will make or break the console. All those games will still be on the PS3.

Elven6
May 17th, 2007, 02:11
But the Dreamcast did way better then the PS3 ast this point, and it lost its exlcusives after it was long gone.

DPyro
May 17th, 2007, 02:45
But the Dreamcast did way better then the PS3 ast this point, and it lost its exlcusives after it was long gone.

Um, no it didn't (http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=DC&reg2=All&align=1)

Shadowblind
May 17th, 2007, 03:18
The only one of those that could be considered a big exclusive is GTA. Other than that, none of those games will make or break the console. All those games will still be on the PS3.

Alan Wake

Banjo-Kazooie

Blue Dragon

Crackdown

Fable 2

Forza Motorsport 2

Fuzion Frenzy 2

Gears of War

Halo 3

Halo Wars

Infinite Undiscovery

Kameo: Elements of Power

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Lost Odyssey

Marvel Universe Online

Mass Effect

Ninety-Nine Nights

Perfect Dark Zero

Project Gotham Racing 3

Project Gotham Racing 4

Shadowrun

Too Human

Viva Piņata

Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Volume 1

Amped 3

BioShock

AQ Interactive

Cry On

Atari

Bullet Witch

Capcom

Dead Rising

Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

Codemasters

Overlord

Eidos

Battlestations: Midway

Crossfire

Kane and Lynch: Dead Men

Electronic Arts

FIFA 2007 (for next generation consoles)

From Software

Tenchu Senran

Hudson

Bomberman: Act Zero

Far East of Eden Ziria

Idea Factory

Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage

Konami

Dance Dance Revolution Universe

Rumble Roses XX

Namco Bandai

Culdcept Saga

Eternal Sonata (Trusty Bell)

Idol Master

Mobile Ops: The One Year War

Ridge Racer 6

Zegapain XOR

Zoids Infinity EX Neo

Rockstar

Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis

Sega

Chromehounds

Full Auto

Square-Enix

Project Sylpheed

Tecmo

Dead or Alive 4

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2

THQ

MotoGP ‘06

Saints Row

The Outfit

Ubisoft

Naruto (working title)

Over G Fighters

Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell 5

F9zDark
May 17th, 2007, 04:53
The fact that this individual used the Dreamcast to drive his point home is troubling; the Dreamcast didn't fail because it was the best of the best, lost exclusives or had a slow start, but because of PIRACY.

Again another Microsoft employee opening their mouth without much thought.

markymark1
May 17th, 2007, 09:17
Bad comparison, the ps3 cant be compared to the dreamcast really. Just like the xbox cant.
1 bad thing about the ps3 is that it is losing its titles, it really is, and you do know it, so there isnt much point of arguing.
1 bad thing about the 360(well 1 of them at least) is that Microsoft as usual are upgrading things and as they own the hardware, they upgrade that aswell. i dont think it was a mistake to not include a hd dvd player(for competition for the ps3 blu ray) but i think it was a complete waste to sell an external player of it. and i say fair play to sony for the blu ray, it does seem to be getting bigger(much to my dismay!!

360 fanboy

Triv1um
May 17th, 2007, 11:20
They wont loose anymore games.

When the ps3 prices come down alittle and the game prices come down alittle, it will take off and leave the 360 in the dust.

geise69
May 17th, 2007, 12:25
It's not losing game titles because of system sales but more because of production costs for a game. Developing a game for the PS3 can make or break you if you're a small dev company. It can even put a nice hole in your pocket if you're a big developer like EA, Capcom, Konami etc.

Triv1um
May 17th, 2007, 14:12
If that was aimed at me, i know its not the sales that are making them loose games.

They are loosing games because it is too expencive and complicate to dev games for the cell.

Facho
May 17th, 2007, 14:49
If he is comparing the PS3 to the Dreamcast as a failure, what is he comparing the xbox to as a success?
I guess it must be the to Playstation. So the kudos go way back to where they belong.

Poor speech Mr Moore

10shu
May 17th, 2007, 14:55
DMC4 will still be going to PS3 (and will most likely be better).

Get real...So far every game released on the both platform look and play better on the 360...:rofl:

The only game than may look better on the ps3 is oblivion...

Now compare games like fightnight, tony hawk, madden, fear, spiderman 3, defjam, etc...The 360 got better version for all thoses games...

So I have no doubt the 360 will be best system to play DMC4

Shadowblind
May 17th, 2007, 15:00
Get real...So far every game released on the both platform look and play better on the 360...:rofl:

Now compare games like fightnight, tony hawk, madden, fear, spiderman 3, defjam, etc...The 360 got better version for all thoses games...

I remember Bioshock was gonna be for PS3 too, but 2k Games cut out of that deal. Probably because of the Cell or production cost.

I saw DMC4 screens for PS3 and 360. For "4D" graphics, I wasn't impressed...I like the shiny twilight feel of the 360's flaming effects.

Cloudhunter
May 17th, 2007, 15:06
It's not like exclusives define a console. The PS3 isn't failing by any means.

Cloudy

DPyro
May 17th, 2007, 15:07

Seeing as Devil May Cry was originally only for PlayStation and was originally made for PS3, one would think it would play better on PS3 and not be just a port.

F9zDark
May 17th, 2007, 18:15
It's not like exclusives define a console. The PS3 isn't failing by any means.

Cloudy

The problem is, that exclusives do define the console. For instance, take Xbox and Halo. The Xbox was doing decently and once Halo hit, Xbox skyrocketed. Granted it never beat the PS2, but 1 game drove its sales up by a long shot. Halo 2 had the same effect and I guarantee that Halo 3 will have a similar effect on the Xbox360.

And to clarify why the PS3 is losing exclusives really has nothing to do with the Cell processor being more difficult, as IBM has released learning materials for free and has conducted many classes on teaching Cell programming to developers.

Instead it is the USER BASE. Out of the three consoles Sony has the smallest user base. Game companies want to earn money on their products, so rather than make a game that only 3 million will play on the PS3, they'll make it for the PS3 and Xbox360, thus having a maximum of 13 million players.

I know money is the reason why they do that, but the logic behind it escapes me, since games rarely sell a million copies within the first 6 months to a year. Chances are most good games only ever sell 2 million units...

Accordion
May 17th, 2007, 19:55
a few reasons why ps3 owners dont need to be concerned with ANY negativity towards the console:

Uncharted
Little Big Planet
Team ICO
Lair
Warhawk
MGS4
FFXIII
Heavenly Sword
SOCOM
Monster hunter 3
Ratchet & Clank

jdnation
May 18th, 2007, 04:53
I guess Moore ought to think so... he's on of the people on board when they all ran a fine system like the Dreamcast into the ground. Guess he should settle for a less complicated and inferior box :P

Most of the game people quote as being lost from Sony were usually debuted on the PS3 but always multiplatform to begin with. Most others were on the freaking PS2! FFXI and Guitar Hero 2? Wow... I guess it's about time huh?

The only two big games that Sony actually did lose exclusivity to and that many actually care about were GTA4 and DMC4. Of them, Rockstar wanted to remain exclusive but both they and Sony knew it wouldn't be profitable for them out of the gate. Capcom sees this as well. It's far too early for PS3 and it's numbers need as much time as 360's to grow. If things pan out it'll be a whole different story 2 years later.

Basil Zero
May 18th, 2007, 09:41
Armored Core 4, Guitar Hero 2, Samurai Warriors 2/Empires, Virtua Fighter 5, Grand Theft Auto 4, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XI

dont forget, those games earlier mentioned along with the ones you just mentioned makes PS3's long line of big hits.

So its not a loss for ps3.

Elven6
May 18th, 2007, 16:48
Um, no it didn't (http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=All&cons2=DC&reg2=All&align=1)

Im not talking about game sales since Piracy hurt them ALOT. Im talking about Hardware sales, the Dreamcast had a better ratio of consoles in the consumer's hand then on the store shelves at this point. The PS3 has more on the shelves then they do in consumer hands, and we can see that through the amount of support they gain from developers.

DPyro
May 18th, 2007, 17:07
Im not talking about game sales since Piracy hurt them ALOT. Im talking about Hardware sales, the Dreamcast had a better ratio of consoles in the consumer's hand then on the store shelves at this point. The PS3 has more on the shelves then they do in consumer hands, and we can see that through the amount of support they gain from developers.

Um, that is hardware sales :confused:

Elven6
May 18th, 2007, 20:39
Um, that is hardware sales :confused:

What are you talking about?

Dull Blade
May 18th, 2007, 21:10
IMO, PS3 is more similar to the saturn. Just think about it...

-PS3 is more expensive than 360, saturn was more expensive than PS1

-PS3 is supposed to be more difficult to develop for so is the saturn

-Both took off some what slowly

-both used a new way to set up their processors. ps3 with cell and saturn with a 3d processor and
a sperate 2d processor. The point is that it is a non traditional set up.

However, there is one huge massive difference... The saturn doesn't Suck.

DPyro
May 18th, 2007, 22:07
Once again, PS3 has sold more than X360 or Saturn at the same time in their console cycles.

JKKDARK
May 18th, 2007, 23:16

-Both took off some what slowly

-both used a new way to set up their processors. ps3 with cell and saturn with a 3d processor and

However, there is one huge massive difference... The saturn doesn't Suck.

But PS3 is more powerful console on this generation. Saturn wasn't; the Saturn was the best with 2D graphics, but on 3D PSX got better results.

F9zDark
May 19th, 2007, 00:12

The second and third points are unfounded. The Cell is setup no differently than any other processor, and the fact that it supports almost all PowerPC based Operating Systems proves that its no more different than said PPC processors.

Its difficulty to develop for is not because of inherent flaws in the technology, but because its new and requires the learning of different tricks to make things work. As opposed to the Saturn's processors that may as well have been from another galaxy because they were so vastly different in comparison to other processors.

Almost all consoles are 'difficult' to develop for at first, because again, there is a period of relearning involved. This will only be eliminated when console manufacturers start using standard PC CPUs (x86, x64, etc) when making consoles, as the vast majority of game developers know how to develop for these chips.

nhlhockey
May 19th, 2007, 02:44
They should take all CEO's and politicians and fly them into space and then nuke the spaceship. The world would be a better place for it.

Dull Blade
May 19th, 2007, 04:48
Well I'll change difficult to dev for to unappealing to Dev for, I know that the price of Deving for it must of put of some developers, and the difficulty of saturn put off some developers. But my point is that its a better comparison between the ps3 and saturn than the ps3 and the DC.

Shadowblind
May 19th, 2007, 05:15
Well I'll change difficult to dev for to unappealing to Dev for, I know that the price of Deving for it must of put of some developers, and the difficulty of saturn put off some developers. But my point is that its a better comparison between the ps3 and saturn than the ps3 and the DC.

Hm...I see your point here. Truth is, I didn;t even know what a Saturn was when it came out, so I can;t really say too much...

F9zDark
May 19th, 2007, 05:33

That I will agree with. But I'd like to add to it:

-Developers probably saw the use of advanced, expensive technologies as a limiting factor in terms of user base, because the price point for such innovative technology would be too expensive for casual gamers.

Fact in point, the price point is a severely hampering factor in its sales. Such is why some once PS3 exclusives are moving onto other consoles as well.

To be frank, I hardly use my PS3 anymore. I used it for a bit last weekend to play some Super Rub a Dub (which is a damn fun game I might add) and I tried getting into some COD3 games but was plagued by the dreaded "Could not connect to all players" issue (which has only cropped up again since my ISP updated the router...).

I would say I am casual gamer at times, a hardcore gamer at another, and the only justification to the price point I can muster is the fact that I can run linux and all its goodness on my PS3 (essentially its a computer). However since the RSX is locked out, Linux is just about as useful as the PSP's XMB...

Bottom line is, Sony really needs a price cut, and soon. Luckily for them, the Wii is so cheap that anyone can buy it and a PS3; but who the hell would want to when they can buy the Wii and 360 for the same price as the PS3...