PDA

View Full Version : Question about porting RPG Maker

DimensionT
May 17th, 2007, 03:06
I know the program isn't open source, and reverse enginering the code would be extremely hard... But I had a few ideas/questions.

First off, wouldn't it be easier to port user created games then to port the whole program? You don't exactly need the editor and such ported (though it would be nice).

Second, how hard would it be to make a converter to change a compiled game into something easier to port? There's a few homebrew RPG Makers out there that are quite decent. Couldn't someone make a program that changes the RPG Maker2K/2K3 games into a homebrew runtime?

Lastly, and probably the most "out there". How possible would it be to make a Windows emulator type program? Maybe finding out what RPG Maker needs to run, then emulating that. You wouldn't need a full fledged emulator, just one that could run RPG Maker games (though a complete Windows emulator would be nice as well).

Now don't go and tell me "CODE IT YOURSELF!!!". I know I can't do it... Just wondering if it's possible, and maybe sharing some ideas that no one has thought about :D.

quzar
May 17th, 2007, 07:23
Basically, if you have to ask these questions, you won't be able to do it. I know that sounds odd, maybe mean or elitist, but it's just true.

Replacement game engines are written all the time, one for rpg maker would be no different, but it would probably be easier to write a replacement interpreter for whatever scripting it uses.