PDA

View Full Version : PSP hardware refresh coming this year, says report

Shrygue
May 17th, 2007, 20:49
via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/17/psp-hardware-refresh-coming-this-year-says-report/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/05/pspredesign1.jpg

So it looks like those endless rumors of a newly-spec'ed PlayStation Portable are finally about to come true, with an analyst from Lazard Capital Markets reporting that Sony has in fact copped to just such a device (most definitively NOT pictured above) at its Gamer's Day gathering in San Diego. According to Lazard's Colin Sebastian in a briefing prepared for NPD, "the company also indicated that [in addition to new software titles best left to another fine publication], a video download service and [PSP] hardware refresh are expected later this year." While both tidbits sound like potentially big news, Sony was reluctant to give up any more info on either of these asides -- meaning that you can still let your imagination run wild with magical features before the inevitable letdown. Still, if you've got your credit card in hand and sonystyle.com open in another tab as we speak, it might pay to hold off for a bit and see how this plays out.

Paiku
May 17th, 2007, 21:03
that photoshoped one actually looks comfortable, but bulky

steve520
May 17th, 2007, 21:06
I have to say this i really dont like the shape i think it makes it look cheesy

CSPERFECTGT
May 17th, 2007, 21:25
this photo sucks!it is the ugliest thing i have ever seen...
the new features i want to see at the new psp are:larger battery duration,a second analogue stick,better sound quality and...homebrew capability:rofl: !!!

RV2006
May 17th, 2007, 21:35
The only compaint I have of the original PSP, apart from the battery life, is the current analogue stick on it,
Its horrible, like a cheesegrater it grates away my thumbs!
Try to complete gitaruu man, or play street fighter alpha 3 on turbo 7, you'll probably find your thumb indented and raw red!
I personally would prefer replacable rubber tops, at least they would be more comfy, and less painful!

Accordion
May 17th, 2007, 21:57
The only compaint I have of the original PSP, apart from the battery life, is the current analogue stick on it,
Its horrible, like a cheesegrater it grates away my thumbs!
Try to complete gitaruu man, or play street fighter alpha 3 on turbo 7, you'll probably find your thumb indented and raw red!
I personally would prefer replacable rubber tops, at least they would be more comfy, and less painful!

like this: http://www.superufo.com/product_html/SONY_PSP_Extra_Button_Kit.html

mcdougall57
May 17th, 2007, 22:03
maybe a hardware refresh to blot out homebrew once and for all like the ta-082 but more succesful at it
who knows?

Accordion
May 17th, 2007, 22:08
maybe a hardware refresh to blot out homebrew once and for all like the ta-082 but more succesful at it
who knows?

the board didnt restrict homebrew, only downgrading. the firmwares stops homebrew but the homebrew devs seem to be on top of that.

rbervoets
May 17th, 2007, 22:09
i dont really like it, is it me or does the screen look smaller?

Shrygue
May 17th, 2007, 22:13
It could be smaller or prehaps it's the same size like the current PSP and the one above has gotten bigger. It's something like a transition from the PS2 to the PS3, that being bigger in size than the PS2.

steve520
May 17th, 2007, 22:14
I think Sony should let the people decide on what they want from the next PSP

Sonicboy 101
May 17th, 2007, 22:15
That psp pic looks weird

jmendes
May 17th, 2007, 22:19
reshape and downgrade proof hardware =p

and maybe a new analog nub

steve520
May 17th, 2007, 22:19
I think sony should let the gamers decide what the next PSP should have but you know its just a dream

SORRY FOR DOUBLE POSTING

IndianCheese
May 17th, 2007, 22:22
Are those rubberized grips I see? Wow. To think that a big name company couldn't come up with that design in the first place is hard to believe. Maybe they were trying to cater to third party accessory makers.

porchemasi
May 17th, 2007, 22:23
I HOPE IT HAS-
HARDWARE:
-Built in Microphone (good quality)
-5gb HDD
-better speakers
-4 brightness lvls
-MORE VIDEO FILE SUPPORT LIKE XVID/DIVX/AVI
-file manager (rename, delete)

THEN FULL HAXED WITH FW 4.00 OE with all the DAX SOFTWARE GOODNESS :)

Buddy4point0
May 17th, 2007, 22:51
yay psp lite!
better screen
more battery life
thiner
yay!
i dont think its gonna have a second analog stick or any real hardware improvement like that beacuse its a revamp not a psp2.

bpatel4069
May 17th, 2007, 22:58
i think a hardware upgrade is way overdue, the damn psp gives me cramps in my hand and arms somtimes, it cant be medicaly safe! lol, id like to see abeter shape for starters

Wholelottalove
May 18th, 2007, 00:26
wow i just bought a psp =P well it was only $75 so not so bad.

i think that as long as theres determained devs you cant make homebrew un-playable.

sonic3d
May 18th, 2007, 02:02
I actualy think the way that pic is set up is quite nice cuze the psp is so hard to hold cuze its like a big a$$ box! i personaly would like to see somthing thin like the ipod nano with a better grip like that comforms to your hands!:thumbup: and 30gb of flash memory!with more file support and better os lol dreeaming... that has dvi output.... lol can play ps2 games... like that will ever happen....

yea so
nano thin size with better comfort grip when its in my pocket i wear tight jeans so it FING STICKS OUT! I HATE THAT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!! there i feel better..lol
30gb or more... lol
ps2 quality games or better!..lol i know
dvi output... lol or somthing so you can connect it to the tv when your home and board...
cut the crap with alll the doo hikies i hate spending more money on cables and plugs and memory and **** than the frigin psp! for gods sake!
PUT every fing thing in it windows vista even! lol:D

Veskgar
May 18th, 2007, 02:08
I know its going to be very hard for me to abandon the current PSP. I don't think I could do it.

What I will probably do is get it on launch day and just never update it and hope that one day, we figure out how to get homebrew on it.

The current PSP is a beast so a revision should be even more powerful.

sonofsamus
May 18th, 2007, 02:10
For Chrissakes people, that picture in the post is a badly Photoshopped artist's interpretation of what some guy thinks a redesigned PSP *might* look like. IT IS NOT THE NEW PSP.

(most definitively NOT pictured above)
Please learn to read.

bah
May 18th, 2007, 05:20
LCD with a much better response time. I will never forgive sony for using the current couple of screen models out there, if it was a picture viewer then the screen would be perfect. Unfortunately in games and video, now this may shock some people at Sony, THINGS MOVE QUICKLY!
Guaranteed no dead/stuck pixels on that LCD.
Brighter backlight on the LCD (the DS lite is brighter).
Better plastic covering the screen, it scratches too easily.
A square button that actually sits on top of the switch it operates.
Better build quality all round.
Move the battery cover open button so i don't press it all the time while playing (it doesnt open but its annoying its not solid where you hold the thing).
Built in flash would be nice, but it would increase the cost a fair bit.

If, despite sony's denials, there is going to be a 'new version' of the PSP, it wont have a second analogue stick nor a second set of shoulder buttons (perhaps on the back of the unit that you could operate with your fingertips).

They cant just segment the market like that, it would be like adding a touchscreen then releasing games that you just cant play (properly, if at all) on the original model PSP.

Those things could only come with a totally new product, hopefully along with better/faster cpu/gpu, a lot more RAM and a MUCH better battery to power it all.

Hell, with a totally new design they might as well make the thing the size of a lynx and have a massive LCD covering most of the face. The thing is already too big to be 'pocketable' and it sure would make watching movies on the thing much nicer. I'm talking the original 'who the f@#k chose to make it this size' lynx, not the smaller later model.

comicgeek
May 18th, 2007, 05:22
my top wishlist for a new psp would be:
1. lighter design
2. dual analouge (slip proof top)
3. 16 mil color screen
4. faster gpu

Basil Zero
May 18th, 2007, 09:16
Guess they whoever made the photo has no taste.....

but good news anyways, at least about the games.

devdj
May 18th, 2007, 10:52
it looks like a dildo a bit like the ps3 boomerang dildo with no vibration.

Triv1um
May 18th, 2007, 11:07
no it looks abit like a saturn pad.

looks comfortable actully.

carlitx
May 18th, 2007, 14:42
i hate the look

Veskgar
May 18th, 2007, 18:18
A new PSP would need to look in most part like the current PSP. Otherwise it will be diluting the brand and confuse consumers.

Furthermore, SONY would need to make it smaller if it wanted to attract more consumers. Bigger may be more comfortable, but for short-burst on the go gaming, the PSP isn't that uncomfortable.

There are definitely areas that could be improved, but its a matter of SONY not cheaping out on us.

Briggzy11
May 18th, 2007, 19:48
That picture of the psp is so fake but pretty cool all the same :)

Either way I garantee this so called new PSP will be hacked :) nothing is unhackable, theres always a flaw in something, will just take time.

Classic80s
May 19th, 2007, 06:49
I actualy think the way that pic is set up is quite nice cuze the psp is so hard to hold cuze its like a big a$$ box! i personaly would like to see somthing thin like the ipod nano with a better grip like that comforms to your hands!:thumbup: and 30gb of flash memory!with more file support and better os lol dreeaming... that has dvi output.... lol can play ps2 games... like that will ever happen....

yea so
nano thin size with better comfort grip when its in my pocket i wear tight jeans so it FING STICKS OUT! I HATE THAT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!!!! there i feel better..lol
30gb or more... lol
ps2 quality games or better!..lol i know
dvi output... lol or somthing so you can connect it to the tv when your home and board...
cut the crap with alll the doo hikies i hate spending more money on cables and plugs and memory and **** than the frigin psp! for gods sake!
PUT every fing thing in it windows vista even! lol:D

Nano thin and 30gb? Lol are you ****ing high? That won't happen in '07. Also don't wear tight jeans.

i hate the look

What new look? The ****ing pic is ****ing fake. People like you need the read the first ****ing post on the board and not only looking at the ugly picture and reading the topic title.