PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft starting to ban modded Xbox 360s from Xbox Live

BrooksyX
May 18th, 2007, 01:05
Microsoft started to ban Xbox 360s that have a modified dvd firmware that allows backups to run. Even 360s with the newest Xtreme firmware have been confirmed to be banned.

Keeping Xbox live fair:
http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/05/17/545414.aspx

One of the great things about LIVE and the unified community is that we work hard to create a level playing field for all gamers and have a no tolerance policy towards inappropriate behavior like hacking or cheating. As part of our commitment to our members, we do not allow people that we have detected to have modified their console to connect to LIVE. This is an important part of our efforts to try and maintain a fair gaming environment for the large majority of gamers that play by the rules. This topic is more important than ever given the recent release of the Halo 3 beta. As a result, some consumers that try to login to LIVE who we detect have illegally modified their console will get an error code (Status Code: Z: 8015 - 190D) when trying to connect to the service. These users will not have their account automatically banned from LIVE, but they will no longer be able to access the service from the console they modified.

We have stated in the past that customers can only enjoy access to the Xbox LIVE community through the use of a genuine, unmodified, Xbox console and we will continue to enforce this rule to ensure the integrity of our service, the protection of our partners and the benefits of our users.

pt9087
May 18th, 2007, 02:12
HAHA!! i was gonna hack my 360 but the pc didnt read the 360, modded 360's will be on Xbox live soon no doubt!

moogster66
May 18th, 2007, 03:22
M$ is so stupid! Lets start banning people paying us money! Ban the backups!

deceiver117
May 18th, 2007, 05:33
I had to do a quick check, and I'm not banned, yet. I have a Hitachi-LG modded drive, I can't recall which version. I just know its an August/September release. As a safety precaution I have disconnected my 360 until this all settles down.

pt9087
May 18th, 2007, 07:49
Lol^^^ i bet you have poo in your knickers haha!

Basil Zero
May 18th, 2007, 09:50
Their beginning to act like sony, the irony

bah
May 18th, 2007, 10:26
Irony is expecting one thing and getting the opposite.

You expected MS to somehow be 'nicer' than sony?

You cant really blame them for stopping mods. You can hate it and long for the days of xbox1 and earlier with a modded release console running 'backups' of every game for the system though.

parkermauney
May 18th, 2007, 12:06
Isn't there some kind of way of changing your ID? Kind of like the changer for PSP?

Shadowblind
May 18th, 2007, 12:26
M$ is so stupid! Lets start banning people paying us money! Ban the backups!

Moron, im glad they're doing this. Maybe this will finally get rid of all the aimbots gamers. Apparently they don't care all about the money. They care about the gamer who want to play a normal, no-hack online game.

Thats what they do on call of duty, you don't see anyone whining about them.

Cloudhunter
May 18th, 2007, 13:03
Personally, I don't hate MS for banning consoles, or Sony for releasing new firmwares.

It's either take steps to stop piracy, or have all the developers stop using your system. The Dreamcast was killed by piracy; I'm sure you don't want it to happen to the PS3/360.

Remember, if you pirate, you aren't specifically hurting the company who made the console; you are hurting the game developers.

Cloudy

Elven6
May 18th, 2007, 14:18
Whats wrong with that, they did it last time, do you think everyone with a modded console is a saint who still buys games?

Xiofire
May 19th, 2007, 12:02
Yeah, I admit i did have a modded console, but only one backup, and that was Gears, which i own. My reason for backing it up was cus if it broke, i think i would seriously cry. But im banned. Looks like i may have to save up for an elite.
-Xiofire

BrooksyX
May 19th, 2007, 17:51
That sucks that you got banned. I am surprised I didn't get banned. I modded my 360 on Thursday(day when the bans started) when I got home from school. I played the Halo 3 beta on live for like 20 minutes. Then I went on line and found out they were banning 360s. So I immediately unmodded my 360. I can still connect to live right now.

Cap'n 1time
May 19th, 2007, 17:56
I feel like the only reason people mod their xbox's is to play backups (and most the time, they aren't legal I imagine.) Also considering all the stupid "hackers" (ooh, I searched for a hex string or changed the textures so I can see through walls, I'm an F'n genius!) and the very big possibility someone will find an exploit someone will be able to run code from their sdk without paying for it (thus enabling cheat devices), I think it's a great preventative measure.

Vega
May 22nd, 2007, 20:16
Their beginning to act like sony, the irony

come on, microsoft is doing what is to be expected. I see the main purpose of modded 360's are to play ilegal backups. sorry, but at the minute, thats it. If i want some home spun games on my 360, I'll look to XNA (Though i doubt I would, seeing the prices are lame).
You really cant blame MS for looking after their own interests and I think its fair of them to do so. The sony story is totally different.

Shadowblind
May 22nd, 2007, 21:16
Really, I dont see how Microsoft's like Sony. For one, they care enough about the gamer to make gaming more fun for non-modded players, at the risk of losing money (OH NO! SOOOO SAD! MS doesn't seem to care. Eh no, $ony?) Plus...