PDA

View Full Version : QuakeDS WIFI build - now with on-screen keyboard!

simonjhall
May 18th, 2007, 21:59
Just a quick release, so nothing majorly new.

I've *finally* gotten around to releasing the wifi build of Quake for you all to play. This supports only infrastructure-mode networking, so you're gonna need an access point to play. There is no support for ad-hoc.
Wifi performance is pretty sluggish, and you may find it not too your liking - I've done the best I can with the wifi library, but I just can't get low-latency performance out of it. Still massive kudos to sgstair though :-D
You'll obviously get better results if a computer with plenty of processing power is hosting though. But you can still host on the DS if you want to (with a max of two players).

An on-screen keyboard has also been added so you can properly play Team Fortress now :-)
You can also type in the IP you want to connect to etc, change your player name, bind buttons, use the console etc...
Today's keyboard has been brought to you by...ScummVM DS!

There are also a few bug fixes for the people who got the 'freeing precaches' crash bug in pre2. There is no fixed game saving for the people who got corrupt saves in pre2 (well I've added code to handle drivers which don't support unaligned saving, but I couldn't fix all corrupt saves - YMMV).

Mod support has also been improved a bit - dodgy QuakeC code no longer crashes (as much), some deathmatch bots are known work (I've been told Reaper and Omicron work), I've had a go with Quake Rally, Quake-done-Quake (with a vengeance), Team Fortress (not single player)... These are only the things that I have personally tested, and I'd just expect most mods to work out of the box, assuming the models are in pak files.

If you're only interested in playing single player I recommend avoiding this build as the addition of the wifi code has greatly reduced the RAM that I fought long and hard for, so some levels may not be playable or may thrash.

The usual shimmy, including instructions etc lives at:
http://quake.drunkencoders.com/

Peace.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Hyrule_boy
May 18th, 2007, 22:44
It sounds awesome but I'm sadly not able to play online because I can't get my wifi stick modified for it. -_-'

voteforpedro36
May 18th, 2007, 23:22
This is awesome, but too bad I don't have the files on my card already... :(

simonjhall
May 18th, 2007, 23:33
If they're on a different network you'll have to type it in but if they're on the same subnet you can just use the search for local games option.

Make sure both machines have valid IP addresses. You should be able to ping your DS, y'know? :-)

ComixSans
May 18th, 2007, 23:51
This project really seems to be coming along great now. Its soo smooth and good looking. I hope multiplayer get more covenant to play :S it's got me confused.

I'd really like to be able to increase the pen sensitivity. The mouse sensitivity setting doesn't seem to make any difference.

metroid hunter style, double tap jumps would be nice to.

Mr_Biggs
May 19th, 2007, 00:49
damn, i'd love to play this, but i dont have highspeed and im probably the only guy in my county with a flashcard. sounds pretty awesome simon!

Buddy4point0
May 19th, 2007, 04:43
sweet man. im downloading now

Payk
May 19th, 2007, 08:06
great simonjhall :thumbup:

jonboy25
May 19th, 2007, 10:07
I must say... "NINTENDO and ID should give you a very high paying job!":thumbup:

Is it OK to have both versions on the same card. I have a M3 SD and the one before runs great. I have a passsme1/2 in slot 1 and the card goes in slot 2. Will that have ram for future projects?

Sin-07
May 19th, 2007, 13:20
Thats great, but i need a step by step instruction. my english is not so good. I got the game but how the ..... can i make the server configuration. i have an onscreen keybord??? and wich port. help me please.

spik3yb0i
May 19th, 2007, 16:36
looks good, gona give it a try

MasterMan
May 19th, 2007, 17:29
Is it OK to have both versions on the same card.

I have both on the same folder on my CF. QuakeDS.nds and QuakeDS-wifi.nds.
They share the same ID1 folder and files.

darkhelmet
May 19th, 2007, 19:56
Great work Simon. Too bad no one by me has a flashcart and vista wont run quake, so I'm kinda stuck and can't play anyone.

stefanor
May 19th, 2007, 21:20
Thanks Simon,
your last version (quakeds_290407_pre2) was very beautiful. I read this version has been improved still graphically but without the wi-fi connection i cannot use it. You can make something?

simonjhall
May 20th, 2007, 17:19
Yo, sorry for the lack of replies. I've been away for the weekend :-)

Anyway, I just realised that I'd commented out the code for the pen sensitivity and forgotten to put it back in! If you really want adjustable sensitivity mail me and I'll send you a build.

Also, the MP build is pretty similar to the SP build in terms of graphics. Unless you're getting a crash bug on the SP build, there's no reason to change if you don't want to play multiplayer. Although there's currently no keyboard in the SP build, as I haven't bothered update that yet.

And yes, you can use as many builds on your card as you like :-)
They can all share the data files too.

Oh and the slot-2 RAM version is coming...

jonboy25
May 21st, 2007, 00:10
How does the slot-2 RAM version work? Do you have to have the game in a slot 1 device?

BTW, multiplayer works on my M3 SD!

XDelusion
May 21st, 2007, 01:50
What I could really go for over a Virtual Keyboard for the SP build is not so much a Keyboard, but a Virtual Weapons select button, and the ability to double tap the screen to jump.

Using small virtual keys for that task just sounds like it would be very hard as I'd have to stop and try to target the small key that I need, as to merely tapping a big huge button in the left or right hand side for a new weapon or what ever you know?

Maybe there is a way that you could impliment both if you are interested...

...say like another virtual key that would bring up the keyboard and put it away when you don't need it.

Also a small MOD launching menu similiar to what is on QuakeX for the XBOX could be of interest for the future, unless resource limits will not allow the loading of mods and extra models and textures, I dunno. What I do know is I'd like Touch screen jumping and weapons select and I'd be quite happy with this port of quake! Well that and look sensativity, but I know that is on it's way back! :)

iceman100
May 21st, 2007, 04:53
How do you get this to work?

XDelusion
May 21st, 2007, 05:27
All that info should come with the docs, otherwise you can always visit the home page and read the section on how to set it all up.

http://quake.drunkencoders.com/

nick_stubbings
May 21st, 2007, 22:49
im having the same problems that i had with the pre2 SP build, "Freeing Precaches" it just freezes... i have tried using the m3cf.dldi from chishms site, and the new DLDI file from the dldi wiki and neither work can i get some help here? somebody at gbatemp (stormwolf18?) posted a version of SP that worked... anyone got any ideas about an MP version?

LordSturm
May 22nd, 2007, 12:53
How would one actually go about playing Team Fortress with this thing...

I've read the manuals, made the quakeout.txt w/e ( wrong name here lol ) and it's simply not loading.

Where does the "fortress" folder go, and exactly how do i load it? :P

simonjhall
May 22nd, 2007, 13:59
Download the Team Fortress for NetQuake package - I'm using the latest, version 2.8. QuakeWorld stuff probably won't work.

Then place the fortress directory in the root of your card (with the TF pak files and your Quake config file in it) and then in the /qdsopts.txt file put:
-game
fortress

When you start your DS you should then see the TF intro video playing.
Then connect to a network game (there's not enough memory for single player) using the multiplayer menu. Easy!

Don't forget to bind the keyboard to a button otherwise you won't be able to change your unit type.

Sin-07
May 22nd, 2007, 17:52
Thanks a lot. Now i can play it.:) :) :)

jonboy25
May 23rd, 2007, 05:20
I feel stupid for this but...

I've gotten Team Fortress to run on my DS but I cant figure out how to run it on my PC version of quake.

simonjhall
May 23rd, 2007, 07:55
Haha, that makes a change! On the command line on your PC type: quake -game fortress

LordSturm
May 23rd, 2007, 08:12
Download the Team Fortress for NetQuake package - I'm using the latest, version 2.8. QuakeWorld stuff probably won't work.

Then place the fortress directory in the root of your card (with the TF pak files and your Quake config file in it) and then in the /qdsopts.txt file put:
-game
fortress

When you start your DS you should then see the TF intro video playing.
Then connect to a network game (there's not enough memory for single player) using the multiplayer menu. Easy!

Don't forget to bind the keyboard to a button otherwise you won't be able to change your unit type.

I tried this all, but i can't seem to get the TF movie up, i used the Team Fortress 2.8 Installer and got the "FORTRESS" folder from my pc quake folder and copied it to my DS... then copied the config across.

Made the qdopts.txt at the root of the memorystick as you suggested.

It still loads right into quake, with no sign of mod loading or detecting in the text. ( and yes it is dldi patched ( r4ds ) )

EDIT: Will mod's work with the ShareWare quake?

simonjhall
May 23rd, 2007, 09:09
EDIT: Will mod's work with the ShareWare quake?No, I don't think so. The original has lots of checks for this and I removed them all but you actually need the second pak file (pak1.pak) for a lot of mods, as they use models and stuff from that file.

LordSturm
May 23rd, 2007, 09:10
Gah, that sucks...

Thanks anyway, now i know the problem. :P

( Now if only id still shipped copies of Quake 1 -_- )

nick_stubbings
May 25th, 2007, 15:19
hi! again... so? can anyone help me? i still cant run pre2a (WIFI) because it freezes at "Freeing Precaches" i have the newest M3CF.dldi from the DLDI Wiki (tried the "Broken" one too from chisims site to no avail) and i can patch it fine, its just that when it runs it always crashes...

like i said before, someone sent me a different version of pre2 (not wifi) and that worked... any help would be greatly appreciated...

i have: M3 Perfect CF + 1GB Kingston CF
GBAMP + 2GB "Dane-Elec" CF (only works with 1xDMA)

thanks!

simonjhall
May 25th, 2007, 20:41
Yo, PM your email address and we'll see if we can track down the bug.

LordSturm
May 26th, 2007, 03:04
Ok, so I found my old copy of Quake on CD ( never knew i had it :D )...

I deleted the pak0 file and then copied across both the pak0 and pak1 files into id1...

Fortress will won't start.

simonjhall
May 26th, 2007, 09:15
Is this with the multiplayer build? Can you at least get the demo playing?
Just to recap, you've got the fortress directory in the root of your card, and you've extracted the zip file there? What version of TF are you running?

LordSturm
May 27th, 2007, 09:02
TeamFortress v2.8 ( as stated in VERSIONS.TXT )

I have the 'fortress' directory in the root of my card, alongside 'id1' which has PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK and my config.cfg and a folder called glquake ( which i doubt i need there )

In fortress there are many files and "PAK0.PAK" and my quake config.cfg. and maps... ( Got them separately. )

Also at the root of my microsd, is "qdsopts.txt" with...

-game
fortress

Written inside, and the multi player & original quake builds of the nds file both dldi patched for use with my R4DS.

( Just to let you know, Quake works fine. )

The King is Dead
September 8th, 2007, 12:19
So guys, is there going to be another mulitplayer version of QuakeDS? or shud i just use teh one on ur wonderful home page?

simonjhall
September 8th, 2007, 14:38
Use the one on the web page. I'm working on the new build right now, but it won't be out for a bit.

The King is Dead
September 10th, 2007, 10:53
Dude, i got the mulitplayer build to run and have set up my AP using Metroid Prime. I go to TCP/IP, join game, then hit "search for local games" but it says there are no servers.
Wot am i doing wrong? do i have to make a server? i tried understanding your instructions on the homepage, but its a little beyond me im afraid lol.
I'm using a Supercard ONE by the way and a belkin router. ^_^

simonjhall
September 10th, 2007, 13:03
You've got to run at least one server to play against in your local network. For instance if you have a second DS start network a game, and do search for local games from your second DS.
If you have a PC on the same network then host a game with that, then look for it with the DS.

Both the server and client need to be on the same subnet for searching to work. If not, you'll need to use the on-screen keyboard to manually type in the address that you want to connect to.

Anyway, I'm just leaving for my summer holidays! Back in a week...

simonjhall
September 21st, 2007, 14:38
I didn't want to start a new thread, so am sticking this here:

I've written many of the big new features for the next major release of the Quake DS game, but before continuing work on them (eg bug fixing, performance enhancement etc) I'd just like to know what other niggly bugs people found that tarnished the quality of the previous build.

Obviously ommitting stuff like "it's really slow in places" and "some times the textures tear" as I know about that :-)

Also, what other minor features would you guys like? Again, let's avoid "ooh better framerate!" and "mp:h tap jumping".

I'll then try and add in the ones which don't take too much time or are unreasonable given the hardware...

souLLy
September 21st, 2007, 14:51
I think the only thing that really stood out for me were the explosions being textureless- I know you're well aware of those but i figure it's worth stating the obvious regardless.
I'm pretty sure lighting is one of those things that isn't high on the urgency list (or maybe even not possible) but I'll throw that in too.
:P

sethsez
September 21st, 2007, 17:15
This has probably already been answered, but is there any way to lock mouselook? If you look in a certain direction and then walk a few steps it'll snap back, which can make using the stylus difficult.

There's probably a really simple answer to this but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

Sir_Voe
September 21st, 2007, 19:01
Great to hear you're back at it :) . The only thing I could come up with is that on very rare occasions the player can become stuck and unable to move. This mainly happens on inclines, which can be fixed by simply jumping, but I've also had it happen by the triangular light emitting things (like in the first room in the first episode) where I had no choice but to enter the menu and restart.

simonjhall
September 22nd, 2007, 14:18
Cool, I'll see if I can have a look at finding where the stickiness on surfaces is coming from (lol) and yeah I know all about that lamp in the entrance to e1m1 - its so stupid when you get stuck in it!

The mouse look / view snap thing is by design in the Quake code, and this is how regular PC Quake functions. It's GLQuake which doesn't code it correctly and as a result there is never any snapping. I'll have a look to see if I can add something to replicate its behaviour via a switch in the menu or something.

Lighting is a pretty tough one since there's no hardware support for doing it properly. Me and someone else have been toying with another way to do it, but there's a good chance it'll completely clobber the system. It would make it look really nice though, and we've not ruled it out completely... (btw it would only be for slot-2 cards too)

Properly rendered sprites and particles are at the top of my list. So expect to see them!

More ideas? :thumbup:

Echo1
September 22nd, 2007, 15:52
All I ask is that you do the best you can as I appreciate your work. :)

slayerdemon555
September 22nd, 2007, 16:46
I cant find the shareware version of this game, link was broken, can somebody post it?

simonjhall
September 26th, 2007, 23:21
I've seen these Malice cut scenes so many times recently that I thought I'd kill five mins by recording a (very aliased) video!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SM78Ra1g6VI

BTW the colour is MUCH better on the real thing - it's just a camera thing. You'll be able to see it first-hand pretty soon now...
EDIT: definately better colour: http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7509/imgp0656qy8.jpg

stevo11185
September 28th, 2007, 02:50
you must release this now =)

Akoi Meexx
October 5th, 2007, 12:20
Running the MP version on a CycloDS Evo with a kingston 1 GB. Working great with little slowdown, but my PC is hosting. ;)

One thing I'd like to see, if possible, is maybe be able to place the quake.nds file anywhere in your card structure, and have it load a settings file from that same directory to get the path for your paks and the like.

I try to keep a neat file structure. <.<