PDA

View Full Version : Third Party Publishers Hurt by Nintendo’s Success

JKKDARK
May 19th, 2007, 03:58
via Advanced Media Network (http://www.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=9764)

The April NPD numbers have finally been released, and it looks like Nintendo has been performing all the right moves.

The company sold a combined 831,000 Nintendo DS and Wii units over the monthly period with an estimated 63% of total Wii games and 79% of all DS games sold developed by Nintendo themselves. Yet Nintendo’s success has come at the expense of many third-party publishers who depend on the younger demographic for a huge chunk of their monthly revenue.

Take for example Electronic Arts, whose sales fell an estimated 44% to $37.9 million in monthly revenue. EA’s Medal of Honor: Vanguard for the PlayStation 2 and Wii sold only 56,000 units combined, while only 53,000 copies of Tiger Woods PGA Tour for the Wii were sold. Indeed, Pacific Crest’s Evan Wilson stated that a recent "shift in interest to Nintendo products has clearly stolen share from third-party games across all platforms." He continued, "This has had the greatest effect on Electronic Arts due to its size."

Other companies that saw a slide in software revenue included Take-Two Interactive, which had a 54.5 percent decrease in sales ending at $19.8 million. THQ suffered a 27.6 percent fall to 13.4 million for the period.

According to UBS analyst Benjamin A. Schachter, “A key to the successes of many publishers during the last console cycle was market share gains at the expense of first-party publishers. We are concerned that this cycle may revert somewhat back to greater share gains for the first-party players, particularly as Nintendo rebounds and Microsoft focuses on and improves its AAA titles."

Veskgar
May 19th, 2007, 08:01
GOOD!

Not only is Nintendo king of the Video Game world once again but they are shaking the industry up by basically being an example of DON'T DEVELOP CRAPPY RECYCLED GAMES!

There is a lack of truly unique, wonderful, and engaging games from 3rd parties. At least as far as the DS Lite and PSP are concerned.

Not all 3rd party developers are on my blacklist. Square-Enix for instance has shown to be very strong with both Nintendo and SONY.

I hope this is another step towards better games. I'm sick of seeing people being ripped off by games like "Pimp my Rid", "Winx", etc. to name a couple PSP games. I'm sick of Movie games being terrible, such as TMNT for the DS and PSP.

Something needs to happen and Its good to have Nintendo leading the way.

alienanthropologist
May 19th, 2007, 17:29
GOOD!

Not only is Nintendo king of the Video Game world once again but they are shaking the industry up by basically being an example of DON'T DEVELOP CRAPPY RECYCLED GAMES!

There is a lack of truly unique, wonderful, and engaging games from 3rd parties. At least as far as the DS Lite and PSP are concerned.

Not all 3rd party developers are on my blacklist. Square-Enix for instance has shown to be very strong with both Nintendo and SONY.

I hope this is another step towards better games. I'm sick of seeing people being ripped off by games like "Pimp my Rid", "Winx", etc. to name a couple PSP games. I'm sick of Movie games being terrible, such as TMNT for the DS and PSP.

Something needs to happen and Its good to have Nintendo leading the way.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Basil Zero
May 19th, 2007, 19:38
Nintendo is king of gaming, their showing their colors from the NES era WOOT!!

Nintendo 4 Life!

Shadowblind
May 19th, 2007, 20:51
I don't know...go Nintendo, but...hurting my favorite third party publishers isn't what I'd call good...

Rafaelfrota
May 19th, 2007, 20:51
And what?
EA is not selling games because they mostly suck =P
If they want to compete with BigN, make real games.

Joe88
May 19th, 2007, 20:52
GOOD!

dont forget namco
katamari damacy :D

iceman100
May 19th, 2007, 22:04
These stupid assed companies don't know anything, and if you want to make money stop making shity game period.

ab88
May 19th, 2007, 22:05
Take for example Electronic Arts, whose sales fell an estimated 44% to $37.9 million in monthly revenue.

EA is not selling well because the make uber shit. I cannot see why they made so much money in the first place. Remaking the same crap over and over EVERY year. :mad:
Also as soon as you bought one of their games another one was out and yours was worth $5 at any game store :[

Edit: Lol I just remembered when NBA fans complained to EA because they felt cheated for buying their stuff.

Joe88
May 20th, 2007, 00:48
EA is not selling well because the make uber shit. I cannot see why they made so much money in the first place. Remaking the same crap over and over EVERY year. :mad:
Also as soon as you bought one of their games another one was out and yours was worth $5 at any game store :[

Edit: Lol I just remembered when NBA fans complained to EA because they felt cheated for buying their stuff.

yea
keep releasing sports games thats the exact same for the year before except for the new player >.>

only things I enjoy from EA now is burnout, and even that there starting to screw up a little, burnout 5 better be good ...
also Black, was different, I would like to see many a sequel to that

Shadowblind
May 20th, 2007, 01:00
yea
keep releasing sports games thats the exact same for the year before except for the new player >.>

only things I enjoy from EA now is burnout, and even that there starting to screw up a little, burnout 5 better be good ...
also Black, was different, I would like to see many a sequel to that

Now that I think about it...I can't think of 1 game from EA that I like.

ShinMike
May 20th, 2007, 02:39
just c&c3 but yeah.. they are burning their games too fast, battlefield is a joke, madden and etc..

kyus
May 20th, 2007, 16:13
"OHNOEZ.

A company that have been unfairly held beneath us for ten years have finally risen again to bite us in the ass. Whatever shall we do boss? "

"What genres haven't we ruined sofar?"

"Uh... I dunno. Skating games?"

"Let's make a game called Skate then."

"But sir... Nintendo... They're..."

"Enough! I demand my bath of dead baby guts and drug money!"

Cap'n 1time
May 20th, 2007, 16:32
As said before. If third parties want to compete they better start making quality games. Nintendo has never in their history released a complete flop of a game (not even Custom Robo was that bad).

XDelusion
May 21st, 2007, 05:25
AWSOME! And people said Nintendo was going to kill themselves with the Wii, that GFX make or break a good game! Ha ha ha!

I_Highway
May 22nd, 2007, 01:23
Now that I think about it...I can't think of 1 game from EA that I like.

Well, I bought The Godfather for Wii, and I am glad with it. Another game I liked from them was Road Rash, but it was 15 years ago...

But at least people are buying quality games, and this can lead to a new generation of games, when most of them are good, or the maker is going to bankrupcy.

werpu
May 22nd, 2007, 11:31
As said before. If third parties want to compete they better start making quality games. Nintendo has never in their history released a complete flop of a game (not even Custom Robo was that bad).
Ahem Zelda 2 was dreadful...
So was Super Princess Peach.

Cap'n 1time
May 22nd, 2007, 16:57
Ahem Zelda 2 was dreadful...
So was Super Princess Peach.

People that say Zelda 2 was dreadful never gave it a chance. I like that game a lot.

I have never played Super Princess Peach but I doubt it was that awful.