PDA

View Full Version : The State Of The Station: The Peter Dille Interview

wraggster
May 19th, 2007, 07:19
Heres an excerpt

GI: One of the things that was discussed was the fact that the PSP will have some sort of online network for downloading content. Are you talking music and movies? Is that the plan, and will it be through Sony Connect?

Dille: We were a little bit coy about revealing all of the plans, but I think all of the above. We’re looking at downloading games, and you can do that now via the PlayStation Store on PS3. Download it on the PS3, slide it over to your PSP, take a PS1 classic or other content directly to your PSP. The missing ingredient for us has been making it easier for consumers to get video content or music content to the PSP, because the device has this awesome technical playback capability, awesome screen built for video and yet we don’t make it terribly easy for people to access any content. So we’re looking to fix that. We’ve got a lot of people hard at work on it we look forward to rolling that plan out and that service out later this year. But be patient, we hope it won’t be much further.

GI: Will this be something you’ll be able to do over Wi-Fi, or will you have to connect your PSP to your PS3?

Dille: We haven’t really announced details, but, again I think if you look at that product I think you can get a bit creative and say, it already connects to the PS3, it’s got Wi-Fi connectivity, I think both paths are open to us.

GI: Was the Home feature created as something responding to a need or a want that PS3 owners have expressed? That they want some open world or was it more something that you created and hoping that they’ll adopt?

Dille: It wasn’t in response to what they wanted, because when Home was started there were no PS3 owners so we didn’t know what they wanted. Home has been in development for a while. It would have been nice to have had it on November 17th, but our perspective is don’t announce things too early. You never have a second chance to make a first impression. I think Home really demonstrates the creativity and unique approach that we have to this business. When we were preparing to launch PS3 a lot of people said, “Okay, I guess they’re going to match Live feature by feature and we’ll just expect a derivative approach.” That’s not Sony’s way of doing things. We take a step back and say, we want online gaming for sure. Resistance you’ve got 40-player multiplayer on November 17th. Check that box. But Home from my perspective leapfrogs the competition. What’s going on with community in the console environment, because now you’ve got a true 3D based community. You’re not going to see anything like Home on any other platforms. I think it really speaks to the creativity and individuality you’ve seen in PlayStation products throughout the years.

Full Article (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200705/N07.0518.1518.01359.htm)

Buddy4point0
May 19th, 2007, 14:24
hmm this sounds really cool. i cant wait for it.

Basil Zero
May 19th, 2007, 19:27
same here, I cant wait for it either