PDA

View Full Version : Geodata for Europe, someone plz help us :p

danielme
May 20th, 2007, 18:06
Aren't there any way to rip geodata from a purchased program like for example Microsoft's Auto Route?

MS-AR has lots, and lots of geodata from pretty much all of Europe. I played around with MS-AR 07 and the databases that ships with that program to try and export some geodata, but MS-AR uses data stored in MS-files that don't make any sense!

The only export function in MS-AR is export to Pocket Streets (*.mps), when you open this file in a text-editor you get some readable ASCII-text with the street and place names, but coordinates are in some probably encrypted MS-format (I am a complete nooob in programming). MS have some free *.mps maps for download here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f616e67b-1879-434c-be64-0fb8cf65d64d&DisplayLang=en): These are maps of major cities in USA, Canada and Europe! (from 2005, but better than nothing).

It would be awesome if someone could make a converter/ripper or something to get geodata for Europe from databases like Garmin, Tom-tom, MS-AR etc... or is it illegal to use it's databases on your PSP from software you have purchased???

I know there are some pretty good coders with skilz out there, please help us Europeans! :)

PS:
Thank you Deniska and all others involved in MapThis and GMDL for excellent work! :thumbup: