PDA

View Full Version : Itagaki: putting Ninja Gaiden on PSP would upset fans

wraggster
May 20th, 2007, 22:41
via joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/19/itadaki-putting-ninja-gaiden-on-psp-would-upset-fans/)

Team Ninja founder Tomonobu Itagaki has always been known for commentary and behavior that, relative to most of the world, is pretty out there. His latest outlandish claim comes from an interview with GamePro where he explains why we'll likely not see a Sony PSP version of Ninja Gaiden.

Itagaki said that the design philosophy for the PSP is akin to that of a home console as opposed to, for example, the Nintendo DS' design as a portable platform. In that mindset, he said, the PSP's goal would be to replicate the home experience. The clincher: "I think if I were to develop this game [Dragon Sword for DS] on the PSP, most of my fans would be upset."

Using his same logic, consumers who buy the PSP want games that replicate the home console experience for play wherever they go. So no, we don't think fans would be upset if Itagaki gave them a Ninja Gaiden title that felt and played like its home console brethren -- it's exactly what they would want, in fact.

Dragon Sword, with its stylus-driven control scheme, is due out this Autumn.

Basil Zero
May 20th, 2007, 22:52
Thats quite stupid of him to say that, there's a huge fanbase on psp, that favors Ninja Gaiden, its pretty stupid of him to even think the PSP isnt worth for a game like Ninja Gaiden.

Buddy4point0
May 20th, 2007, 23:20
it wouldnt upset me. i would love it on psp

Napalm-Death
May 20th, 2007, 23:29
That guy is mental, I'd love to play Ninja Gaiden on PSP!

SpacemanSpiff
May 21st, 2007, 00:35
He probably feels the PSP couldn't do justice to the Xbox version, and I'm inclined to agree with him.

Shadowblind
May 21st, 2007, 01:40
Thats quite stupid of him to say that, there's a huge fanbase on psp, that favors Ninja Gaiden, its pretty stupid of him to even think the PSP isnt worth for a game like Ninja Gaiden.

Agreed. Although i'm not a big fan, its a fun game, so this guy can STFU about that...

jmendes
May 21st, 2007, 04:53
wtf? why would it upset anyone? ya took a crazy pill this mo'ning huh?

Ichijoe
May 21st, 2007, 09:40
The control mechanics of the PSP would (and have already), upset me more.
I sorry that most of you feel this way, but, I have to agree with Itagaki on this one.

The PSP, is just not suited to pseudo-3D Games.
There actually being no ~Right-Hand-Side Analog-Nub~ on the PSP, to help control the Camera. :(

...Hopefully the PSPē will correct this deficiency.

Gold Line
May 21st, 2007, 09:47
wtf its coming out for the ds so why not have it on the psp

deathspal
May 21st, 2007, 17:31
I think he is saying that porting the DS title over to the PSP would upset fans as it is a (more gameboy with a stylus) scaled down game, and that he feels that the fans of the PSP would want a game more comparable to what you would see on home consoles (xbox GC ps2/ps3). I don't see here where he is saying no title for PSP just not a port of the DS title

- DeathsPal

Sonicboy 101
May 21st, 2007, 17:35
That guy is mental, I'd love to play Ninja Gaiden on PSP!

Me too. :)

Veskgar
May 21st, 2007, 21:20
I think that is sort of dissing the PSP if he was talking about never putting a Ninja Gaiden game on the PSP.

Ninja Gaiden would rock on the PSP. It couldn't be a clone of the XBOX games but a new Ninja Gaiden game made specifically for the PSP would be a hit.

Hell, I'd even buy a remake of the orginal Ninja Gaiden Trilogy if they were of similar quality to what Capcom did with Mega Man.

The PSP is not undeserving of a Ninja Gaiden game. But I'm in no position to make that decision.