PDA

View Full Version : Compare these DBZ versions #1

Mark30001
May 21st, 2007, 01:53
A serious poll to see which overall version (music, etc) from the videos people prefer.

http://www.youtube.com/v/e-W5K4sjZlA
English - FUNimation

http://www.youtube.com/v/IbdQyHia0rs
Japanese

Shadowblind
May 21st, 2007, 02:09
The english version seems to be a little better quality...that may be due to the fact that it came after.

P.S.: I've seen every episode of DB, DBZ, and DBGT :p

S34MU5
May 21st, 2007, 02:09
I preffer both,
as you can see they have little differences in script but I wouldn't mind watching either

kcajblue
May 21st, 2007, 02:44
the animation and music is better in the english.
because it came after the japanese one like shadow said.

but i dont like english dubs.
i prefer subs.

Gold Line
May 21st, 2007, 02:51
the eng one has better music

Kaiser
May 21st, 2007, 02:55
uncut funimation version > original Japanese.

quzar
May 21st, 2007, 04:05
I don't see a difference in the animation. It would simply be the source video quality. The music is fine in both, but the japanese DBZ music is CLASSIC japanese DBZ music. All the fight scenes have that similar music. I've always thought that the funimation fight music was a bit too subdued.

The voice acting in the japanese version beats the english one hands down though. I don't know what it is about english anime voice actors but it seems they either try to emulate the sound of the japanese version (and do so poorly because those same sounds don't translate) or they just do whatever the hell they want (i remember seeing an interview on an american anime thing where it had the voice actors saying "a lot of times we take liberties with the dialog and just adlib"). What they should do is try to understand the story for context and... ACT.

kcajblue
May 21st, 2007, 04:58
in english dubs.
they dont put any emotion into what theyre saying.
sometimes it doesnt bother me.
but other times, it gets annoying as hell.

steve520
May 21st, 2007, 05:05
I Still Like Japenese Versions just because they like curse at each other and it makes me laugh

Kaiser
May 21st, 2007, 09:41
I Still Like Japenese Versions just because they like curse at each other and it makes me laugh

Those are mistranslations done be fansubbers. Their really isn't anything really crude aside from the odd mention of "hell" and the bad guys tending to say that they're going to "kill" instead of "destroy"

The unedited FUNimation version fixes all of that anyway.

Shadowblind
May 21st, 2007, 12:38
If you think about it, "destroying" someone is much more brutal then simply killing them. Destroying them would be to obliterate every aspect of their persona, so it could mean anything from torture to instant death, whilst killing....often implies death, no means of brutality.

JKKDARK
May 21st, 2007, 13:40
i like both

quzar
May 21st, 2007, 23:48
Those are mistranslations done be fansubbers. Their really isn't anything really crude aside from the odd mention of "hell" and the bad guys tending to say that they're going to "kill" instead of "destroy"

The unedited FUNimation version fixes all of that anyway.

That's not necessarily true, because in the spanish official dubs I've seen a lot of times you'll see people go on with j*der and HP and such. I would bet that the language used actually is a bit rougher than the english dubs (unedited or not) would have us believe.

ryan2006
May 22nd, 2007, 00:05
Both are pretty good ive always liked the dubbing for dbz it like the only anime i could watch dubbed btw has any one played naruto ultimate ninja on ps2 my god i couldnt play the game the dubbing was that bad :( im hoping they dont ruin uzamaki chronicles asweel.

SnesR0X
May 23rd, 2007, 06:19
well, DBZ was my favourite show for a long time, and I watched the Funanimation version, and the jap just sounds messed up to me. I like Goku in the english one way better. The Cartoon network version, is the worst stinking piece of crap I have ever heard

Cap'n 1time
May 23rd, 2007, 06:28
http://images.countingdown.com/images/countdowns/movies/3295182/3295182_main.jpg
BOW TO KING KAMEHAMEHA OR YOU WILL PISS OFF THE VOLCANO!

SnesR0X
May 23rd, 2007, 06:37
The dude who made it, his wife thought of the idea of naming it after Kamehameha

Mark30001
May 25th, 2007, 06:31
well, DBZ was my favourite show for a long time, and I watched the Funanimation version, and the jap just sounds messed up to me. I like Goku in the english one way better. The Cartoon network version, is the worst stinking piece of crap I have ever heard

Cartoon Network? The US Cartoon Network only broadcasted the FUNimation version (And Pioneer from episodes 1-53), while elsewhere (Canada & UK) broadcasted the Ocean version.

kcajblue
May 25th, 2007, 06:33
you sure do know your dragonball stuff.

and btw. check out the what instrument you play thread.