PDA

View Full Version : just a random question...

mesosade
May 21st, 2007, 09:32
Hey guys mesosade here (yet another magic disappearence) well anyway... who thinks...

that deal or no deal is fake and your reason?

S34MU5
May 21st, 2007, 10:25
Fake in what way?

White_Hawk_UK
May 21st, 2007, 10:40
Why would it have to be fake? There's nothing to it; a contestant stands before a load of boxes, picks a bunch to discard (theoretically on the way to having just one remaining), and a phone rings every now and again with an offer of a compromise rather than going on to a conclusion governed by pure chance. Everything else about it is essentially redundant, as each show could be concluded in about five-minutes-flat if not for all the bulls**t crammed-in to fill time.

As for the prizes; the show's creators simply play the law of averages. Regardless of how the contestant plays, the results are still governed by random probability. As the boxes are eliminated, the probable win amount changes, and the dealer's offers reflect this.

While the maximum possible payout in the unlikely event that all contestants somehow hit the jackpot is a sizeable, but known and fixed amount, over a given time (one 'season' of the show, for instance), the show's creators estimate the average win. Generally, prize payouts are merely a fraction of the revenue generated by a show of this type, and payout amounts can be forced nearer the average by a dealer who plays the numbers and convinces a contestant to accept a lower payout than their potential jackpot.

It is neither complicated, nor IMHO particularly entertaining. Why would such a pointless and overspun show need to employ subterfuge?

So, while I don't believe Deal or No Deal to be fake, I do think it's a load of b*****ks...

pt9087
May 21st, 2007, 11:56
I think its fake!

ExcruciationX
May 21st, 2007, 13:25
I don't think it's fake, just set-up in a way.

It's mostly retards that play it.

bah
May 21st, 2007, 14:03
I dont know about elsewhere, but the Australian version is just stupid, I wouldn't say fake.

Its a complete game of chance and 'greed'. Most game shows have some form of test of a contestant's knowledge, they decided to have a game show without a game.

What makes it stupid IMO is the really annoying host who's job it is to congratulate a contestant when they pick a case with a low amount and somehow imply they should have chosen 'better' if they choose one with a high value.

'Bad choice, lets hope your next one is a little better'.

ITS A GAME OF CHANCE WITHOUT SKILL, the only variable in the players control is to take an offer or not.

The fact the show is popular does not reflect well on human kind.

mesosade
May 21st, 2007, 14:50
me and my mate were arguing on it... just wandering what everyone else thought.

Raekwik11
May 21st, 2007, 15:24
he doesnt really talk to anyone on the phone.
(and this is kcajblue, using his bros account.)

Sonicboy 101
May 21st, 2007, 15:46
he doesnt really talk to anyone on the phone.
(and this is kcajblue, using his bros account.)

So he talks to himself?

gdf
May 21st, 2007, 22:05
no shit kcaj.

well he gets shit from the producrers but obviously not a real bank dude. i can't stand that show or that ****ing cnut edmunds.

pibs
May 21st, 2007, 23:13
i think all gameshows are fake in some ways since some(most) are edited

Cloudhunter
May 21st, 2007, 23:38
He does actually talk to someone. He is actually playing against a real banker.

It's not fake, just random probability.

You have a 1/25 chance of getting the 250,000, and a 5/25 chance of getting one of the "power five". Simplify that, and you have a 1/5 chance of getting one of the "power five".

Cloudy

kcajblue
May 21st, 2007, 23:52
So he talks to himself?yes.
he just makes up some fake conversation.

no shit kcaj.

well he gets shit from the producrers but obviously not a real bank dude. i can't stand that show or that ****ing cnut edmunds.i bet that dude is just a dummy or something.

ryan2006
May 21st, 2007, 23:56
every one knows edmunds is a really a lizard dont they?

dejkirkby
May 22nd, 2007, 08:17
He does actually talk to someone. He is actually playing against a real banker.

It's not fake, just random probability.

You have a 1/25 chance of getting the 250,000, and a 5/25 chance of getting one of the "power five". Simplify that, and you have a 1/5 chance of getting one of the "power five".

Cloudy
The "banker" is actually a producer on the show. It was revealed on The Chris Moyles show AGES ago.

bah
May 22nd, 2007, 08:31
In the aussie version there is no phone, just a siren and a new offer comes up on the screen and on a display somewhere in the studio I guess.
They talk about the offer coming from 'the banker' though.

The 'banker' making the offer is most likely a computer that gives a figure based on some set method.

I dont know about the US version, but there is certainly no worker from your local bank thinking 'dam, he picked the low cases'.

gdf
May 22nd, 2007, 13:43
He is actually playing against a real banker.
Cloudy

dude i never thought you could be that gullible...

ExcruciationX
May 22nd, 2007, 18:56
The Banker in the U.S version is somebody named Peter Abbay.

White_Hawk_UK
May 23rd, 2007, 11:40
'Banker' is just a title for whoever crunches the figures on the show - and they do crunch some numbers. The things is, those numbers are fairly simple to crunch (as CloudHunter points out), so anyone could be the banker, as all they need do is offer an amount that is:
1) below what the contestant can be expected to win.
2) still be appealing to the contestant.

Why should it be gullible, considering this, to assume their is a 'banker'? Even if it's just Edmond's grandmother sitting back-stage with an abacus.

I still don't know how or why a show like this one would be 'fake' in any sense of the word... unless the intention was to suggest that it is rigged? Even so, the only 'rigging' is allowing the contestant to assume that they have any control over the odds. To argue that there is/isn't a banker is like arguing that the lottery is 'fixed' because the guy who pulls the lever isn't actually a qualified professional lever-puller of the Lever-Puller's Guild, certified by The Global Instute of Manual-actuation Professionals (GIMP).