PDA

View Full Version : PS3 update 1.80, and psp update 3.50

Accordion
May 23rd, 2007, 16:20
from:http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4372&NewsAreaID=2

Press Releases

23/05/2007 09:49
PS3 Firmware Version 1.80 Announced

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3’s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3’s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3’s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

- ends -

Notes

1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA – Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

NoQuarter
May 23rd, 2007, 16:49
wow,that almost tempts me to upgrade one of my 3 psp's

blackrave
May 23rd, 2007, 17:07
Superb news for PS3 owners. It's just getting better and better non-stop. I need to get a PS3 soon! As I only own a PSP, the PSP update isn't that big to me. But Remote Play through the Internet sounds really neat.

Thanks for the news (I came here to post it myself, though. :p)!

Accordion
May 23rd, 2007, 17:28
i cant reallt see the point of remote play... the console cant do anything else while its in remote play mode, so it would be a huge waste of power to leave it on while you go away.

a future update should allow F@H to start up much faster, so it could be used in short bursts rather than need to be loaded like a game.

May 23rd, 2007, 17:38
I bet all those people who said that Sony were stupid for the removal of the Emotion Engine are kicking themselves now.

kaffie
May 23rd, 2007, 17:56
I bet all those people who said that Sony were stupid for the removal of the Emotion Engine are kicking themselves now.

lol

and i have a pain free arse :P

F9zDark
May 23rd, 2007, 18:44
I don't know if this coming to the US or Japan, Joystiq said, rather definitively, thats its for European consoles.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has just announced the list of features included in the PlayStation 3's 1.8 firmware update, currently scheduled for release tomorrow, May 24th, on European consoles.

May 23rd, 2007, 18:47
I'm sure it's announced for a worldwide release, just like every other update.

DPyro
May 23rd, 2007, 19:00
All updates should run on all PS3 consoles.

Basil Zero
May 23rd, 2007, 19:49
Awesome news for PS3 owners, bad news for us PSP owners who are with Customfirmware, that is unless DA releases his next customfirmware.

DarthPaul
May 23rd, 2007, 23:05
Amazing!! I'll buy the PS3 in 1 week,this is going to be awesome.

Cloudhunter
May 23rd, 2007, 23:27
i cant reallt see the point of remote play... the console cant do anything else while its in remote play mode, so it would be a huge waste of power to leave it on while you go away.

a future update should allow F@H to start up much faster, so it could be used in short bursts rather than need to be loaded like a game.

In future, multitasking should be enabled for remote play, so you can do other things as well :)

Cloudy

zevende
May 24th, 2007, 01:17
WTF! No upscaling on component? This firmware isn't worth it.

DPyro
May 24th, 2007, 01:23
Theres nothing they can do about it, no DVD player allows via component because of the MPAA.

F9zDark
May 24th, 2007, 01:40
SCEA Confirms its coming to the US so good news there.

As well, PS/PS2 games can be upscaled with component or HDMI. DVDs sadly require HDMI. But since I don't have an HDTV yet, this doesn't really concern me.

However I am more interested in:

-DLNA support, which should allow us to stream music, movies and photos directly from our PC.
-Transfer of PS1 and PS2 saved games to AND from the PS3 HDD.

steve-b
May 24th, 2007, 17:38
Anyone tried the upscaling yet? How does that work? Does it just double the pixel numbers and take averages to fill in the gaps or whatever? I'm not really sure that 'upscaling' will make all that much of a difference. Anyone care to educate me?

Accordion
May 24th, 2007, 17:43
apparantly it can work quite well with the correct settings, there are some image links over at gamefaqs, but most of the hosts are exceeding bandwidth. there is image smoothing as well, o get rid of jagged edges

means nothing to me until i get a hi-def tv though...

NoQuarter
May 24th, 2007, 17:48
Yeah the DLNA thing look pretty interesting since I was planning on setting our network up to stream content among the boxen.Maybe it'll make things easier.I gotta say I don't trust sony very much when it comes to our privacy.We need some packet sniffing to find out exactly what info it's sending back to the PSN.Using remote play across the internet requires your PSN password,I guess it's to locate your ps3 or it actually goes through their network.Which IMHO is a mixed bag.

Accordion
May 24th, 2007, 17:50
Yeah the DLNA thing look pretty interesting since I was planning on setting our network up to stream content among the boxen.Maybe it'll make things easier.I gotta say I don't trust sony very much when it comes to our privacy.We need some packet sniffing to find out exactly what info it's sending back to the PSN.Using remote play across the internet requires your PSN password,I guess it's to locate your ps3 or it actually goes through their network.Which IMHO is a mixed bag.

ha
though i have noticed that the inernet status light never goes off... hmm.

even the wii has information explaining your emails are not private...

NoQuarter
May 24th, 2007, 17:55
Well to put it bluntly,what concerns me is linux running in the hypervisor and the information on that partition...

Oh well, needed to learn those network tools anyway :P