PDA

View Full Version : PSP gets video, voice calls and messaging

Shrygue
May 23rd, 2007, 19:39
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=25252)

Sony has signed a four year contract with BT to offer video calls, voice calls and messaging to the PSP.

Using VoIP technology, PSP users will be able to communicate over the internet, with plans for PC, mobile phone and fixed line integration scheduled for the future.

"The PSP is an excellent device for both gaming and communications because of its high quality screen and audio capabilities," offered Steve Andrews, chief of mobility and convergence for BT.

"With over 8 million PSPs shipped across Europe, we are very excited by the opportunity to give customers a whole new communications experience, connecting and seeing friends across the world through BT's technology."

The service will roll-out in the UK, with other European regions to follow.

"The opportunity to combine our market leading expertise with BT's knowledge in communications opens up many possibilities and we look forward to bringing many exciting functions to PSP fans," commented David Reeves, president of SCEE.

eatnooM
May 23rd, 2007, 19:45
Iiiiiiiiinteresting.

DarthPaul
May 23rd, 2007, 19:45
Omg awesome!! But...only UK? Whyy!!

Basil Zero
May 23rd, 2007, 19:47
Wow, a nice feature i say, perhaps this is something that they planned to combat the Iphone which is even more expensive lol

Buddy4point0
May 23rd, 2007, 20:17
very cool indeed

Gold Line
May 23rd, 2007, 20:27
UK only! finally we get something before the US does :)

ICE
May 23rd, 2007, 20:35
i want more info. and a u.s. date.

blackrave
May 23rd, 2007, 20:38
We (Europe) did get Go!Cam before the US as well. :)
This sounds like it could turn into something good. It's a shame it's only going to be available in the UK, though. But I'm sure they will expand contracts to other countries if this won't be a failure.

carlitx
May 23rd, 2007, 20:56
wtf come to canada the Uk best friend, and forget the US with the whole Yanks vs brits thing back way back wen

HumanIce
May 23rd, 2007, 21:31
The service will roll-out in the UK, with other European regions to follow.

what about iceland in europe? will it be one of those other european regions to follow? becaus we in iceland almost never get anything, and they were even gonna skip the MGS:PO to iceland as it did say on some news web site.. but then i found it in a store in iceland o_o and bought it. on a ....very late.. date.

zarcon6
May 23rd, 2007, 22:23
well if its VoIP like the story says then we should have no problem importing it to the us.

PSP 101
May 24th, 2007, 01:18
This sounds promising.

Milotisx
May 24th, 2007, 01:59
UK only! finally we get something before the US does :) WAHHHHHHHHH I HATE YOUUU lol jk but really i like it. sounds nice

IM back!
May 24th, 2007, 02:54
what about the us?

Veskgar
May 24th, 2007, 04:13
So at last Europe gets something cool before the rest of us.

Something like this would be great in North America. The PSP just needs a really cool headset.

I would love to be able to pop into a Starbucks and start making video calls.

The PSP just needs a good headset. I've seen some ugly SONY one but would prefer a Plantronics one.

mavsman4457
May 24th, 2007, 04:27
They need to come out with a new version of PSP that is slimmer and has a camera included on it along with bluetooth so we can use bluetooth headsets with our PSP's and a standard speaker and receiver on the PSP so we can talk on it like a normal phone. Wouldn't that be a treat. Along with a good amount of flash memory. That would kill the DS and the iPhone even though the iPhone is aimed more towards the business rich man while the PSP is aimed at teens and kids. I would love to see a PSP like that. If it had a touchscreen, R2 and L2, and two normal analog sticks (none of this nub crap) then I would pay $300 for it and hope that the firmware could be hacked. That would be the perfect PSP but they'll probably save that for the PSP2. Oh yah and I forgot about rumble and motion sensing so it can be used as a controller for the PS3. That would be incredible. One more thing: a couple more memory card slots of different kinds like 2 memory stick slots and 2 SD card slots. Along with a couple of miniusb/normal usb ports so there can be addons to it. That would be the perfect PSP.

mnky
May 24th, 2007, 09:36
what about iceland in europe? will it be one of those other european regions to follow? becaus we in iceland almost never get anything, and they were even gonna skip the MGS:PO to iceland as it did say on some news web site.. but then i found it in a store in iceland o_o and bought it. on a ....very late.. date.

join the EU then maybe someone will care. When they say europe nowadays thats what they mean....

Cormin
May 25th, 2007, 09:51
somebody should make a skype client for psp before sony releases this.... would be hilarious