PDA

View Full Version : Possible Hardware issue?

PiSONG
June 2nd, 2005, 11:33
Hello :D

I always hate having my first post on a forum, being a question; however, here she goes...

After a couple of years without my old dreamcast (still had all the games though) I decided to pick up another one.

It's been a while, so there could be a simple answer to this; however. When I boot up the dreamcast it asks me for the date, and time. I set it like you normally do when you boot a console for the first time. However it doesn't appear to save. Every single time I turn on the dreamcast I have to re-set the date and time. I tried saving it to the VMU in the settings options, however it would not allow me to do so.

Does anyone have any idea of what could be going wrong? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

ptr.exe
June 2nd, 2005, 11:45
Welcome!

Yeah its a really simple problem, there is an internal battery that gives power to the memory, when the battery runs out the DC forgets the date when you turn off.
Its the same type of battery that goes in the VMU. To replace it open up your DC, look at the board at the front where the controllers plug in, there will be the battery, get it out with a flathead screwdriver (may be a bit hard as it is sometimes glued on) and replace with a new making sure the connections are still the right way round - you want the positive side facing away from the controller ports.

Hope that helps, if you need a picture just ask and i'll post one.

PiSONG
June 2nd, 2005, 12:21
Thank you so much :)

I can't believe I didn't even think of that. I was concerned it was an issue with the dremcast, storing, or recalling what it had stored within the RAM heh

No need for a picture, although I appreciate the offer

Thanks again :D

ptr.exe
June 2nd, 2005, 16:20
Okay, no worries, sorry if i sounded patronising but sometimes you get noobs who don't know how to open their DC, need help and demand a picture. I usually just give up on 'em :p

PiSONG
June 2nd, 2005, 16:54
hehe, no no. You weren't patronizing. I really appreciated the prompt reply.

I got it fixed too btw. You were right, it was the battery. Thanks again :)

PiSONG
June 4th, 2005, 04:01
Just a little update on the battery issue for those interested.

Now this may be common knowledge, however I had no idea of this...

The battery in the dreamcast is actually rechargable. I was able to get the old battery working again, simply by plugging the dreamcast in, turning it on for a few hours and leaving it to recharge the battery.

Now the old battery works as good as new, and cotinually charges as you play games and use the dreamcast.

Like I said, could be common knowledge, but it had escaped me :cool:

ptr.exe
June 5th, 2005, 20:13
Probably is common knowledge, but i didn't know :p

Good to know, i assumed it wasn't rechargable as the Saturn one wasn't.

Darksaviour69
June 6th, 2005, 13:30
i thought it was rechargable, so know i know. thats actually a very good idea ( i wish the saturn and xbox had the same idea)

ptr.exe
June 6th, 2005, 16:57
i wish the saturn and xbox had the same idea
It's a good idea, don't know why MS soft didn't think of it. btw, if you have the DC on for 2 hours it stays charged for 20 days, that's the maximum you can charge it.

Karny
September 26th, 2005, 22:22
*bump* ;)

Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but it is very relevant to me.

I've ignored my DC for nearly two years now (shame on me!!) and now it won't remember the time. I left it on for a good hour at least last night and this evening when I turned it on it had forgotten the time again.

Is there a known life for these batteries? If so, does anyone know where I replace the rechargeable one?

P.S. first post :p

ptr.exe
September 28th, 2005, 16:56
The battery is probably just fried, rechargable batteries typically have a life of 1000 charges before they start to get weak. You can just replace with any rechargable 3V battery. Look in somewhere like Maplin for what you need.

If you can't find a cell one like that, then get 2 rechargable AAA's and wire them to the same place. Just make sure the +ve and ground are going to the right places.