PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Europe unable to date big four

JKKDARK
May 24th, 2007, 02:22
via Pro-G (http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/23-05-2007-5550.html)

Following news that Nintendo of America will release four of its most anticipated titles in 2007, the European wing has been unable to offer any details regarding the games' release dates across Europe.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is scheduled to launch in the US on August 20, with Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime also confirming that Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass will find their way to US stores before the year is out.

When asked for European release dates, a Nintendo UK rep said that no dates for these titles have been announced.

Given Nintendo's track record for heavily delayed European release dates, PAL gamers can be justifiably pessimistic about the big four making it to their local store this year.

Shadowblind
May 24th, 2007, 02:48
I dont get it--Aren't the US and Europe versions alike except for language [in some cases]?

How hard is it?

Basil Zero
May 24th, 2007, 05:38
I dont get it--Aren't the US and Europe versions alike except for language [in some cases]?

How hard is it?

Its all about marketing, thats why, and the add-ons of the languages, and some minor changes such as take outs and all.

werpu
May 24th, 2007, 06:33

How hard is it?
Yes, and languages can be translated parallely and normally it is done during the development process of the game (dont know if Nintendo has cought up to that, this thing in programmers circles is called i18n ing a program)

The funny thing is Nintendo probably even has the easiest task on translation because they do not do voice overs just plain old text.

Modchips are very popular over here exactly because of that reason while Nintendo sends out furios letters that you should not use them.

All I can say is Nintendo get a clue, either release the games timely or drop the region codes like you did on the DS, the DS has no problem to sell European versions, but no one complains that some games have a two years delay.

As for delays, we dont even have a release date for super paper mario.

werpu
May 24th, 2007, 06:37
Just forgot, this really is mostly a marketing thing, the funny thing is, while we are the last big region to get the Nintendo games, we are the ones who pay most.
N games usually are between 50 and 60 euros over here which is roughly 70-80 Dollars and a VC game is 13-14 dollars for 1000 WII points!

All this stuff made me revert back to PC gaming, where such delays do not really exist and the games are significantly cheaper.

Baboon
May 24th, 2007, 08:56
This is so anoying... its making me contemplate getting a modchip now. :(

I recently emailed nintendo service centre (UK) about this and all they emailed me back was: "Unfortunately, games from America will not work on a UK Nintendo Wii and visa versa.

The US and UK both have different television systems (NTSC/PAL) which is why the consoles are sold region-locked".

...tell me something I didnt already know. lol

Pal gamers always get a shite deal. :(

Gold Line
May 24th, 2007, 09:07
i need SSBB asap :(
i hope we in the uk get it before 2008

werpu
May 24th, 2007, 10:30
Actually PAL NTSC is a non issue nowadays most tv sets in Europe are quite happy with Pal60 (almost all of them) so the refresh rate converts pretty fine, most modded consoles simply switch the tv into pal 60 mode for that reason. The entire pal argument is a thing of the 80s were PAL60 tvs were not the norm...

The main problem really is marketing and the region codes which basically makes it easy to delay things because there are no grey imports!