PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Portable soon to become Playstation Phone

JKKDARK
May 24th, 2007, 02:25
via Playstatic (http://www.playstatic.com/news/502)

In a strange turn of events, well, an ambitious one at least, Sony and BT (British Communications) have just announced that the versatile little gaming-guidebook thing, the Playstation Portable, is turning into a phone.

Plans to add “wireless broadband communications functions, including high quality handheld video calls, voice calls and messaging” to the Playstation Portable were announced yesterday by BT and Sony.

Over the course of a four-year contract, the two companies have resolved to develop a “raft of extra features”, which will be available across a wide range of SCEE territories, starting in the UK and branching out.

Steve Andrews, BT chief, Mobility and Convergence, said:

“The combination of SCEE and BT working together is a natural fit. Sony is a world-class company producing some of the world’s most innovative electronic devices and BT is at the forefront of communications with the 21CN global platform. The PSP is an excellent device for both gaming and communications, because of its high quality screen and audio capabilities. With over 8 million PSPs shipped across Europe, we are very excited by the opportunity to give customers a whole new communications experience, connecting and seeing friends across the world through BT’s technology.”

David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, said:

“It is very exciting for us to be partnering with BT on such a unique project. The opportunity to combine our market leading expertise with BT’s knowledge in communications opens up many possibilities and we look forward to bringing many exciting communication functions to PSP fans.”

mavsman4457
May 24th, 2007, 04:11
This has got to be the biggest news about the PSP that we have ever heard. PS1 emulation might compare to this but this is huge.

Kloe
May 24th, 2007, 05:05
i doubt this will really work in the US, at least in the midwest where I live... not much wireless around here, only tiny hotspots in certain cafes and homes. If they have a plan to solve that issue then I might get excited about this.

Basil Zero
May 24th, 2007, 05:33
“It is very exciting for us to be partnering with BT on such a unique project. The opportunity to combine our market leading expertise with BT’s knowledge in communications opens up many possibilities and we look forward to bringing many exciting communication functions to PSP fans.”

hahaha, i find that funny, especially after all the horrid advertisements that sony made for psp.

DarthPaul
May 24th, 2007, 06:26
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-gets-video-voice-calls-and-messaging-64048.html

Isn't this the same?

titch.ryan
May 24th, 2007, 09:17
wow his will be great.

Buddy4point0
May 24th, 2007, 09:40
the psp started back at 1.0 and every1 said omg portable 3D, then at 2.0 OMG internet, 3.0 added OMG ps1 emulating, and now this. the psp is really becoming a useful all perpous device.

Baboon
May 24th, 2007, 10:01
Over the course of a four-year contract, the two companies have resolved to develop a “raft of extra features”, which will be available across a wide range of SCEE territories, starting in the UK and branching out.
.”[/I]

Fookin ell... the UK is never first regarding release dates! lol

ahmedm00
May 24th, 2007, 10:12
This news is absolutely amazing! seeing as i'm in the UK :p but.....does this mean to accommodate the new services Sony will introduce a brand new PSP console? or do u reckon the features will just be added into newer firmware releases?.....:confused:

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-gets-video-voice-calls-and-messaging-64048.html

Isn't this the same?

Also yeh this is the same news, but just with more info! :p

bah
May 24th, 2007, 11:24
I agree with Kloe, If its just VOIP over WIFI then its not really a phone to anyone outside of a city with truly pervasive free hotspots.

Even with that, you cannot truly roam from one hotspot to the next.

When I read the headline I though there was going to be some form of GSM addon to create a phone of proportions not seen since the 80s :)

Still neat I guess.

Cloudhunter
May 24th, 2007, 14:33
Well, I think this is great news. My guess is it will be some BT/Yahoo offering.

I like this news especially, as I'm in the UK AND my ISP is BT|Yahoo internet.

Cloudy

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 15:54
Can no-body understand the work PLAYstation?

ITs not just about the games anymore, it sucks.

cnewhall
May 24th, 2007, 17:28
When are people going to realize that a few gadgets with specific purposes are a lot nicer to use than a device that "does it all". If I'm going to play videogames I want to do it on something designed around playing videogames. Something I can hold for an hour without getting hand cramps. I like being able to do a few things on the PSP like view media but is it really neccessary to make phone calls from it. Don't most people just use their cell/house phone?

eatnooM
May 24th, 2007, 17:28
You can still play on it. Kinda makes sense for Sony to use the fact that they make other gadgets to help their gaming devices sell. I myself don't mind what else it has, just makes things more convenient for me :)

cnewhall
May 24th, 2007, 18:14
You can still play on it. Kinda makes sense for Sony to use the fact that they make other gadgets to help their gaming devices sell. I myself don't mind what else it has, just makes things more convenient for me :)

Yes, but look at the DS. It was designed only for gaming and it's a huge success. The controls work good, being set up for gaming and not gaming AND making phone calls, taking pictures, downloading rss feeds (that's why I have an iPod. it fits in my pocket and doesn't break when I drop it or bump it against something either), etc....

mavsman4457
May 24th, 2007, 19:18
Even with that, you cannot truly roam from one hotspot to the next.

Something that makes this possible should definately come out soon to give people opportunities to have internet wherever they want, on the go, without having to search and connect to a different hotspot every five seconds.

eatnooM
May 24th, 2007, 20:30
Yes, but look at the DS. It was designed only for gaming and it's a huge success. The controls work good, being set up for gaming and not gaming AND making phone calls, taking pictures, downloading rss feeds (that's why I have an iPod. it fits in my pocket and doesn't break when I drop it or bump it against something either), etc....

Well, the PSP isn't the DS. I, for one, am glad for that fact. I understand that the DS is selling better, and for good reason, but it would be a bit crap if everything was the same, wouldn't it?

I'll admit that I almost certainly will not use this VoIP capability when it comes out, but it's nice to be able to use it should I want to.

And about everybody being against games consoles being multimedia devices also, have you people never thought "I can't be arsed going on a game, I'll watch a movie or listen to some music instead". I'm quite partial to the concept of only carrying one thing around that gives me a choice from a multitude of activities.

Vega
May 24th, 2007, 20:31
This isn't practical at all..... but still interesting. No doubt it will fail, but at least its something new.

Games on phones are bad enough.. now phones in gaming consoles? HAVE WE GONE INSANE???!?!?

EDIT - do our american buddies get the BT / O2 network? i didnt think so....

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 20:35
People still arnt getting me.

its a PLAYstation.

Not a god damn multigadget piece of shit.

Just more ways to make money.

burrito
May 24th, 2007, 21:02
The psp is turning into N-Gage... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

eatnooM
May 24th, 2007, 21:06

its a PLAYstation.

I heard you the first time, but that doesn't mean that I share your opinion on the matter. Well, maybe in the case of this particular addition. They'd have to implement a VoIP solution pretty bloody well for me to use it.

Stone Temple Pilots
May 24th, 2007, 21:24
The psp is turning into N-Gage... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LMAO. You are absolutely right. If this thing obtains phone capabilities, then how long will it be before it gets crappy 2-D versions of popular games (i.e. Tomb Raider). This thing is gonna be extinct soon I bet.

JKKDARK
May 24th, 2007, 23:24
Well don't forget Nokia will launch the "next gen N-Gage". I hope it gets better sales and success than the old N-Gage

Cokemusic
May 24th, 2007, 23:34
If sony are so keen to increase functioanility why don't they go one step further and make homebrew availible to the masses :)

JKKDARK
May 24th, 2007, 23:40
If sony are so keen to increase functioanility why don't they go one step further and make homebrew availible to the masses :)

Because sadly the piracy will be bigger

Broadus
May 25th, 2007, 08:41
Phone? Eeeh.

PSP game piracy is pretty terrible. So many PSP games are extremely crappy because developers aren't making enough money off of PSP games, and thusly don't put as much money into them. Yet they still charge an awful lot of money for them!

cnewhall
May 30th, 2007, 00:54

its a PLAYstation.

My feelings exactly.