PDA

View Full Version : just got kubuntu

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 24th, 2007, 03:01
I just bought a second hard drive, and decided to install Linux Kubuntu on it. I like it, though it will take some getting used to. next im gonna install Mac OSX with osx86. if you guys know any good tips or things i should know about linux/kubuntu, please tell me.

TeenDev
May 24th, 2007, 03:28
lucky... I've been trying to put on ubuntu but I don't have an internal CD drive... I have to go out and buy one myself...

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 24th, 2007, 04:14
how do you not have an internal cd drive??? honestly, they are like 5 bucks.

ExcruciationX
May 24th, 2007, 04:26
Kubuntu sucks.

It doesn't come with squat when it comes to software, and it's pretty buggy (correct me if I'm wrong--I've only used the PPC build). Use Fedora, Suse, or Mandriva.

Cap'n 1time
May 24th, 2007, 05:52
Kubuntu sucks.

It doesn't come with squat when it comes to software, and it's pretty buggy (correct me if I'm wrong--I've only used the PPC build). Use Fedora, Suse, or Mandriva.

er... Mandriva (Mandrake's shit), Suse (Novell's crap), and Fedora (Redhat pretending to be useful) three of the most hated linux distros of all time which are all managed by failed companies that tried to commercialize linux and make you pay for updates and support. No one respects these distros anymore.

If you want freedom with actually useful support and a very nice package management system... stick with something debian based... Ubuntu is the best distro I have ever used (Not counting Slackware in its prime).

ExcruciationX
May 24th, 2007, 06:03
Yeah, Debian's Package System is good. You can always just run a downloaded package from the desktop and never run into problems.

I don't like having to download all the software I'm going to use from a bunch of different mirrors. The distros I listed contain all that in 6 ISO's.

parkermauney
May 24th, 2007, 06:37
SUSE came with SO many f'in packages preinstalled, but sucked WAY more than ubuntu on my pc.

Cap'n 1time
May 24th, 2007, 07:00
Yeah, Debian's Package System is good. You can always just run a downloaded package from the desktop and never run into problems.

I don't like having to download all the software I'm going to use from a bunch of different mirrors. The distros I listed contain all that in 6 ISO's.

I used to think like that till I realized that the packages updated like every fricken week. It is sort of a pain for people without high speed and Suse comes with an INCREDIBLE amount of software on it... but most of it is stuff you'll never need in my opinion. I prefer just to DL the stuff I want and while it may take longer, I get EXACTLY what I want in addition to the constant update notification. I was sort of an underground fan of Suse before they started brown nosing novell (although I think MONO# is totally awesome regardless of its ties to novell)

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 11:59
there is no reason why you cant boot from a external cd drive teendev.

Change your boot sequence.

XioN980
May 24th, 2007, 12:26
Fedora is possibly the worst OS in existance, so are all redhat distro's, good choice with Kubuntu, ubuntu is better though, kubuntu just has kde and is harder to get going, ubuntu is much kinder

My piece of advice, give yourself as much permissions as you can, thats what pisses me off about linux, you shouldn't have to do give yourself permission when you've logged on to a secure user account, at least with Vista UAC (the thing linux users bitch about) you can disable it and install programs without having to give yourself access to the folder you install too.

Back on topic.... ubuntu doesn't make it easy, you have to log on as root and give permission to individual files, some distros make it easier, including plain old debian.

just my two cents worth!

Hope it helps

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 24th, 2007, 23:16
how do i install something without that install manager thing?

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 23:25
sudo apt-get install (what you want)

if its a tarball you extract it, and run the installer or make a installer.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 25th, 2007, 20:50
thats not very detailed. when i download a program like aim or firefox, i extract the files, and there is no installer in them.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 21:01
for firefox type in terminal

sudo apt-get install firefox.

Is it a tar ball your trying to extract?

Oh wait, thats is it for same for kde?

i hate kubuntu.

NoQuarter
May 25th, 2007, 21:12
i think he's looking for some gooeee.
Try the adept package manager under add and remove programs in the main menu

apt-get definitly works in kubuntu and is really convienient if you keep a terminal open,ehhh I like kde even if it is ram heavy.The computer I'm using right now can certainly handle it with two gigs of ram and 4.0 Ghz amd

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 26th, 2007, 04:40
........The computer I'm using right now can certainly handle it with two gigs of ram and 4.0 Ghz amd

GODDAMN!!! actually, kubuntu was giving me some trouble, so i switched to Ubuntu. so is there a way to install an app without an install manager?

Cap'n 1time
May 26th, 2007, 07:10
GODDAMN!!! actually, kubuntu was giving me some trouble, so i switched to Ubuntu. so is there a way to install an app without an install manager?

You can certainly compile and build things from source. You are better off looking for *.deb files as they generally help you figure out exactly what packages you need. Most the things you are looking for exist already in the usual Repositories, however there are even more packages that are not officially supported (but are perfectly safe generally) in the "Universe" and "Multiverse" repositories. I'll link you to some good stuff.

Also please check out the ubuntu help community page.. I find myself running to it a lot.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

How to enable Universe and Multiverse Repositories (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu)
Enabling Restricted Formats (Such as WMV, MOV, MP3, ETC) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats?highlight=%28restricted%29)
Enable GFX Cards Acceleration (for games and stuff) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Live/Feisty+/Hardware/Video_Restricted?highlight=%28driver%29%7C%28restr icted%29)

And for finding the packages you want:
Using Synaptic (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Synaptic?highlight=%28synaptic%29)
Installing and Converting Redhat RPM's (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RPM/AlienHowto?highlight=%28RPM%29)
Using the aptget system (use synaptic if you need a GUI, but this is good to know also) (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGetHowto?action=show&redirect=AptGetHowTo)
IF YOU MUST COMPILE THINGS FROM SOURCE (Only if the package isnt already in the repository because it can be a real pain the the ass) this should help you. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware?highlight=%28compiling%29)

This will hopefully get you started and a bit more comfortable with your ubuntu system.

Also some times you will download these Binaries that come in *.sh form. Those might be installers. To use those open up your terminal and cd to that directory. and simply type in the name of the binary.sh... or ./whatever the name is.sh and it should work just fine.

This all assumes you are using the latest version of ubuntu or kubuntu. Some of the stuff above wont work with an older version.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 26th, 2007, 20:39
i go to www.mozilla.com, and download firefox. are you telling me that there is no way to just install it from that easily like windows?

Cap'n 1time
May 27th, 2007, 01:09
You can do that simply by running the installer binary (you probably have to use sudo to do it though) but I don know why you wouldnt simply download the one with the package manager... It's the same thing....

Things are not like windows and probably never will be. Go ahead and get used to that. You must know what you are doing (and learn what you are doing) to enjoy a linux machine... though Ubuntu makes things really really easy for you. Like I said, check out the ubuntu community page and learn as much as you can.

parkermauney
May 27th, 2007, 21:52
It's in the package manager.
Or just f'ing run
sudo apt-get install firefox
it's not hard!

kcajblue
May 27th, 2007, 22:07
this is why i got rid of ubuntu.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 00:49
hey cap'n, shouldnt you ban yourself for putting something illegal in your sig? thats the key to unlock the hd dvd thing

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 00:52
ill just stick with the install manager. if i want something that it doesnt have ill go to the ubuntu community page.

acn010
May 28th, 2007, 00:55
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
nobody knows >.> <.< >.>

Cap'n 1time
May 28th, 2007, 03:10
hey cap'n, shouldnt you ban yourself for putting something illegal in your sig? thats the key to unlock the hd dvd thing

Please explain to me how having an hex string in your sig would be illegal... Thats sort of like saying it's illegal to take a picture of someones house key. Regardless of what you may have heard from some morons on the internet, there is no way to make a phrase or in this case a hex string illegal. Please dont spew bullshit in an attempt to get on my bad aside.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 04:10
im not trying to get on ur bad side. but i do think if i made a thread with that string in it, or if i put that in my sig, i would get an infraction or something.

kcajblue
May 28th, 2007, 04:24
Please explain to me how having an hex string in your sig would be illegal... Thats sort of like saying it's illegal to take a picture of someones house key. Regardless of what you may have heard from some morons on the internet, there is no way to make a phrase or in this case a hex string illegal. Please dont spew bullshit in an attempt to get on my bad aside.if you scan a key you can get one of those key guys to remake the key you scanned.
just some random thing to tell since you mentioned a picture of a key.

Cap'n 1time
May 28th, 2007, 05:42
im not trying to get on ur bad side. but i do think if i made a thread with that string in it, or if i put that in my sig, i would get an infraction or something.

No, you wouldnt. In fact if you look in quzars sig you will see we have a thread on it on this very site. There is nothing illegal about it.

Stay on topic or I'll close this thread. What are some of the programs you are wanting you cant find in the package manager? maybe I can be of some assistance.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 14:46
well i mean, there are probably some freeware apps that arent going to be in the install manager. it wont have everything. and also, whats the point of having a program available for download for linux on a site, if i cant do anything with what i download? eg. firefox, or aim

NoQuarter
May 28th, 2007, 14:53
Dude, it's easy!I really can't tell what your having trouble with.There are also other sources you can add other than the official repositories.

Ya know cap'n I take back anything bad I said about ubuntu last year,it rocks!!

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 15:31
Dude, it's easy!I really can't tell what your having trouble with.There are also other sources you can add other than the official repositories.

Ya know cap'n I take back anything bad I said about ubuntu last year,it rocks!!

all im saying is this:

i download a program from a website, like firefox, or aim.

how do i take what ive downloaded and install it?

Triv1um
May 28th, 2007, 15:46
Read the readme's in the tarball man!

Most commercial Linux programs come with some sort of readme's in them to tell you how to compile the install.

NoQuarter
May 28th, 2007, 16:11
./

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 16:55
ok. i mean people with a first hand expeiriance can usually provide an easier description on how to do things.

NoQuarter
May 28th, 2007, 17:34
Well,did you get your programs installed?
The Ubuntu community is huge,anything you need is more than likely only a search or a post away.

SpooForBrains
May 29th, 2007, 11:14
AvengedSevenfold_Fan, you're missing something fundamental about Linux. Linux distributions (like Ubuntu) have package managers. This is to make the traditionally quite hard task of installing software very VERY easy.

Debian / Ubuntu / Kubuntu have arguably the easiest package management system of all of the Linux distros.

To install something, open a console and type

sudo apt-get firefox

There you go, Firefox has been installed.

Someone somewhere took Mozilla's source release of firefox, spent a LONG time optimising it for Debian / Ubuntu, and making sure that YOU could install it easily with ONE command.

Now, if you want to download it from Mozilla's site yourself, and install it yourself, then you're welcome to. There's an installer inside the package you downloaded. But YOU DON'T NEED TO.

Unless it's something really esoteric, there will be a package for it in the package repositories which you can install with sudo apt-get packagename.

For AIM, for example, type sudo apt-get gaim. This will install the multiple-protocol messaging client gaim.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 29th, 2007, 23:46
AvengedSevenfold_Fan, you're missing something fundamental about Linux. Linux distributions (like Ubuntu) have package managers. This is to make the traditionally quite hard task of installing software very VERY easy.

Debian / Ubuntu / Kubuntu have arguably the easiest package management system of all of the Linux distros.

To install something, open a console and type

sudo apt-get firefox

There you go, Firefox has been installed.

Someone somewhere took Mozilla's source release of firefox, spent a LONG time optimising it for Debian / Ubuntu, and making sure that YOU could install it easily with ONE command.

Now, if you want to download it from Mozilla's site yourself, and install it yourself, then you're welcome to. There's an installer inside the package you downloaded. But YOU DON'T NEED TO.

Unless it's something really esoteric, there will be a package for it in the package repositories which you can install with sudo apt-get packagename.

For AIM, for example, type sudo apt-get gaim. This will install the multiple-protocol messaging client gaim.

THANK YOU!

Triv1um
May 29th, 2007, 23:55
I told you that about 3 pages ago =(