PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2d Back in the Works.

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 04:02
Well, I was going to keep it a secret until it was a little bit further in, but you should all know by now, I get too excited to share with people.

So, my old project Halo 2d, as many of you know, has not had any news or updates since late last year, so, I decided to start working on it again.

New features include, a fully working Menu (not finalized yet, but this may be how i keep it, still needs some stuff though), An intro (gives it a more professional touch), and I fixed the projectiles (they would always be facing right even when shot to the left).

No release yet, but I am including a video to go with this post. I sure hope you all are as excited as I am to get this project back on track. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/R3j9KuU0qpI

Mark30001
May 24th, 2007, 04:05
This is looking very nice! Keep it up! :)

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 04:06
Thanks, I was hoping you could embed that video, so that users dont have to go to the youtube page.

Buddy4point0
May 24th, 2007, 04:11
i think u can just use (flash)url(/flash) replace () with [] to embed a video

ICE
May 24th, 2007, 04:12
no prob.

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 04:17
thanks
you can take that out of your post now, i will put it in the first post

madcupid
May 24th, 2007, 04:22
that game looks really nice man!!! im definetely going to get as soon as you release it...thanks alot!!!

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 04:34
:) glad to hear your compliments, makes me want to push this thing out even faster.

Gene
May 24th, 2007, 04:56
YEAH! I thought this project was forgotten!
Thank you for keeping it alive!

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 05:09
Well, It has always been in the back of my mind. I guess all the excitement around the halo 3 beta jumpstarted me back into coding/graphic designing for this. Im really excited and happy to be back.

EvilDooinz
May 24th, 2007, 05:33
anyone know the definition of copyright infringement? well here ya go. just a lil reminder.

Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized use of material which is covered by copyright law, in a manner that violates one of the original copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works that build upon it. The slang term bootleg (derived from the use of the shank of a boot for the purposes of smuggling) is often used to describe illicitly copied material.

For electronic and audio-visual media, unauthorized reproduction and distribution is often referred to as piracy or theft (an early reference was made by Alfred Tennyson in the preface to his poem "The Lover's Tale" in 1879 where he mentions that sections of this work "have of late been mercilessly pirated.") The legal basis for this usage dates from the same era, and has been consistently applied until the present time.[1] Critics of the use of the term "piracy" to describe such practices contend that it unfairly equates copyright infringement with more sinister activity, though courts generally hold that under law the two terms are interchangeable. [2]

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 05:40
Until I recieve a C&D from Bungie themselves, I will not quit. I don't see why people like you are complaining, like i'm stealing anything from you. I'm not stealing anythign period. I own everything I rip sounds and graphics from. It's not my problem if other people do not. The worst anyone has ever gotten from using copyright images or sounds in their homebrew games is a C&D letter. Further action of course taking place if the party refused to C&D.

btw, the music is ripped from the Halo 3 Beta which is free. So, I'm not stealing anything. If you're talking about copyright infringement on the title, big deal. People get too upset over a few words and images.

EvilDooinz
May 24th, 2007, 05:45
ya but you distribute them with copyrighted materials and that make it illegal for anyone that wishes to play/download your game so excuse you. you are hurting me and everyone here that might actualy download this.

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 05:49
I've released two previous versions of this software across many pages of the web, not once has bungie warned me to stop. They frankly don't care, bungie is one of the most considerate when it comes to fan-made content. like I said, a C&D will be issued if I do anything out of their boundaries of "safe".

The only times I have seen this done are when official models have been used in a mod/game such as the halo models used in Half-Life 2 mods such as Garry's Mod.

Have you seen Halo Zero on pc? It did not get a single C&D and it was a full fledged 2d halo knock off.

anyway, im not here to argue, I released this info in hopes that people would be happy, so lets turn that frown, upside down.

p.s. if your so worried about getting in trouble for downloading this, dont do it. simple as that.

DarthPaul
May 24th, 2007, 06:23
p.s. if your so worried about getting in trouble for downloading this, dont do it. simple as that.

Ahahaha served!! Well said.

By the way nice game! It's looking very good. I played last versions and they rock,but this one looks even better. Glad to see you're back Master,and good luck with your project.

EvilDooinz
May 24th, 2007, 06:33
thats cool much props then ill definalty give it a try thanks for the info sorry to flame :P

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 06:35
lol, no probs, anyway, yah, expect a release in a week or two, hopefully with some enemies and some weak a.i. (still don know yet so dont be expecting miracles)

by the way, good to see someone else from colorado on these boards. I think that makes 3 of us now :P

DarthPaul
May 24th, 2007, 07:08
lol, no probs, anyway, yah, expect a release in a week or two, hopefully with some enemies and some weak a.i. (still don know yet so dont be expecting miracles)

Anything will be welcome. ;)

Psyberjock
May 24th, 2007, 10:00
Well, I don't mean to flame either, but here's a couple words of advice.

The name is cool. No one thinks this game is created by microsoft or bungie; we all know that it is a homebrew version created as a TRIBUTE to the magnificence that is Halo.

But since Bungie did not actually have anything to do with the game, you might consider removing that "Bungie" splash screen. This is somethat that I'm quite sure that even the PC version of HALO 2D did not do. It's like the crappy Chinese handheld that says PS3. Brand names do NOT like to share their hard earned name. Not even with people who idolize them. Sure you can take your chances, but why bring everything to a screeching halt if you don't have to.

Maybe try changing it to a screen that says something like, MAD props to Bungie for creating the original.. blah blah blah...

At least then it is blindingly clear that you are not trying to defame / steal their "good name."

Secondly, PLEASE clean your camera lens. LOL... I can't believe that the camera actually focused on the dirt on the lens. 1) Your camera is pretty damn good at macro. 2) Your lens is dirtier than Paris Hilton!

Nice looking game. I can't wait to try it!

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 14:15
lol, love the words of advice.

and yah,when i put bungie on the intro, I meant it in a mad props sort of way, not in a defaming/stealing way, but you're right, I should put something that gives gratitude and doesnt make it look like I am stealing their name.

About the camera lense, all I can say is lol, i mean, I know it is dirty, thats why it had such a hard time focusing, but at the time thatI was filming, I had no clue it was dirty. I did not feel lik retaking all that footage. But don't worry, next video will be cleaner looking.

Cloudhunter
May 24th, 2007, 14:30
Until I recieve a C&D from Bungie themselves, I will not quit. I don't see why people like you are complaining, like i'm stealing anything from you. I'm not stealing anythign period. I own everything I rip sounds and graphics from. It's not my problem if other people do not. The worst anyone has ever gotten from using copyright images or sounds in their homebrew games is a C&D letter. Further action of course taking place if the party refused to C&D.

btw, the music is ripped from the Halo 3 Beta which is free. So, I'm not stealing anything. If you're talking about copyright infringement on the title, big deal. People get too upset over a few words and images.

Even things with fan made art can be issued a C&D by Bungie/Microsoft. It's already happened at least once to someone making a halo mod on this forum.

Rips are highly illegal. You are effectively stealing material from the game. Legally, there is a very bad viewpoint on that.

I know it's in the spirit of praising Halo, it doesn't make it any less illegal. If I recall correctly, Copyright infringement isn't tolerated on this forum; however I could me mistaken.

Please don't take this in the wrong note though. This is just a warning.

Cloudy

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 15:02
I also didn't know it was classified as stealing if the game you are ripping them from is free. And i could care less if copyfright infringement isn't tolerated, as I have not infringed any copyrights as of yet. Have i released anything? no. whats the warning for then? As for the person that got in trouble for the halo mod, he got in trouble because he was using official halo models in IRIS. MODELS ARE A BIG THING, a small clip of music (not even the full song) playing in the background of a FREE game, I honestly don't think I will get a C&D. If I were selling the game, then yeah, I could expect that, but I'm giving away material that was free to begin with.

Mr. Shizzy
May 24th, 2007, 15:03
Great work MC :D Looks great :)

We need more great homebrew like this.

As far as copyright infringement goes, I don't see Bungee tracking anybody down over a 2D homebrew game. (I highly doubt it will effect Halo 3 sales)

Just keep doing what your doing :) If these guys don't wanna host it - fine :) There are plenty of places that will ;)

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 15:04
thanks Shizzy :) glad i get a compliment between all the bullsh*t

Cloudhunter
May 24th, 2007, 15:17
I also didn't know it was classified as stealing if the game you are ripping them from is free. And i could care less if copyfright infringement isn't tolerated, as I have not infringed any copyrights as of yet. Have i released anything? no. whats the warning for then? As for the person that got in trouble for the halo mod, he got in trouble because he was using official halo models in IRIS. MODELS ARE A BIG THING, a small clip of music (not even the full song) playing in the background of a FREE game, I honestly don't think I will get a C&D. If I were selling the game, then yeah, I could expect that, but I'm giving away material that was free to begin with.

No, they were fan made.

Besides, the beta music is still copyrighted.

Cloudy

Gold Line
May 24th, 2007, 15:23
looks cool i love the menu :D

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 15:31
thanks goldline, and I'm done argueing about this, i could care less about copyright infringement.

Cloudhunter
May 24th, 2007, 15:43
thanks goldline, and I'm done argueing about this, i could care less about copyright infringement.

Well, even if you don't, I'm sure the forum does, and so does the company you are using content from.

Cloudy

The King
May 24th, 2007, 15:47
thx for the info man wen i got my hands on the last version i staid for houres playin it non stop i hope this one is even more funner

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 15:53
umm, right. ur eithr being sarcastic or you are easily entertained. the last version just demonstrated the healtbar system and a few other things.

The King
May 24th, 2007, 16:02
at that point i was so board that anything would entertain me
my parents took away all my games to my aunts house i was on punishment
they take away the CD's and just leave me with the consoles so i was board and played the first thing i sa on my psp and found it entertaining

dejkirkby
May 24th, 2007, 16:28
I think the vid looked great, MC.
Keep up the hard work and remember where to go where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came!

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 16:31
the playground. woot! thanks dejkirkby, and you must've been board king :P

Shilo
May 24th, 2007, 20:58
Looking good :thumbup: I can't wait for the release :D

MasterChafed
May 24th, 2007, 22:23
Thanks Shilo :D

Briggzy11
May 24th, 2007, 23:33
Neo...I mean Briggzy11 is back from a long absense from DCEMU :)

&&& yes this game is gonna kick some ass now its back in development, this is one I did watch back last year :)

EDIT: Sorry for my rediciously large sig then lol

MasterChafed
May 25th, 2007, 00:13
currently working on : a.i.
gamesaves
multiplayer(good possibility this gets in)

chrono75
May 25th, 2007, 22:27
Excellent job man! Please know that people really do enjoy your releases =D Also, I think it's cool seeing all the new PSP homebrew games, you guys are doing pretty decent jobs and it's fantastic.

GREAT WORK! I'll look forward to trying it out myself.

potatoman
May 25th, 2007, 22:41
coolio. i wasnt aware u even stopped

MasterChafed
May 26th, 2007, 02:57
thankyou all :) glad to see such positive comments, I'm still working hard on this.

shad0w-zer0
June 25th, 2007, 03:11
im sorry to to so impatient but...when do u think ull finish this? and can u make it for firmware 3.50, plz?

shad0w-zer0
June 25th, 2007, 03:17
note: im not just sorry, im VERY sorry to be impatient