PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2 Vista coming May 31 in US, June 8 in Europe

Shrygue
May 24th, 2007, 19:58
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/24/halo-2-vista-coming-may-31-in-us-june-8-in-europe/)

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/05/halo2_vista_425px.jpg

After a long wait, Halo 2 is coming to Windows Vista-equipped PCs June 8 in Europe; the North American version, which was originally pushed back to May 22 but obviously missed that mark, will arrive May 31. The game will retail for £34.99 / $49.99, respectively.

When reached for comment, a spokesperson for Microsoft said, "Halo 2 for Windows Vista did not release to retailers on May 22, as previously announced and will now ship from manufacturers on May 31. Shadowrun will be the first game to debut the highly anticipated Games for Windows – LIVE system on May 29. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers."

PC gamers have been waiting over two and a half years for Halo 2 to break free from its console chains.

parkermauney
May 24th, 2007, 22:18
Just for vista? This is major bull shit.
This will just double the piracy of vista.

wolfpack
May 24th, 2007, 22:47
or a hacker will make a patch so then itll work on XP :p whaddya bet thatll happen too

dankbeats
May 25th, 2007, 00:19
The embittered PC gamer side of me refuses to buy this game. I mean at least port it within six months like the GTAs.. 2 years?! Vista only ?! Gimme a break. The only way I'll buy this game if they patch it to include online co-op.

White_Hawk_UK
May 25th, 2007, 00:27
That's a tall order, WolfPack - I doubt anything lower than DX10 could be re-jiggered for it.

What a let-down. :(

Video_freak
May 25th, 2007, 01:32
$50?! I already own the XBox version!
I need a Script Kiddie version that works on XP, just like Halo 1. :)

Hey, just wondring, will a 256 MB 7600 GT factory overclocked GPU, 2.6 dual core CPU, and 2GB RAM cover it? It should, right?! :(

I have some extra RAM lying around but the GPU may take a little money to upgrade...

White_Hawk_UK
May 25th, 2007, 13:05
Having had a look through the game's features and specs, my opinion is that it'll be impractical to try to get this working in anything other than Vista. Between Windows Live and 'Tray and Play', not to mention a reliance on DX10 architecture (and all the system code that DX10 hooks into), it'll be a while before anyone even comes close to an unofficial back-port.

Essentially, you'd have to replicate or fake a vast chunk of Vista in order to support the game. It'd be easier just to get Vista.

It has been mentioned several times in several places, and I have to agree - the release of Halo 2 will likely coincide with a massive jump in Vista piracy.

I just feel bad for the majority of PC owners who don't have Vista-capable machines. For an awful lot of people, the actual cost of Halo 2 will be several times the game's RRP.

Bad show, Mickeysoft.

devdj
May 25th, 2007, 15:27
just go to projectw.org for a crack and did ya all hear about jack thompson is going after halo 3 now ya know what that means its going to be a laugh jack thompson vs bill gates. bill gates can buy and sell his ass to terrorists.

S34MU5
May 26th, 2007, 12:53
June 8th is my birthday :D

but it willl be delayed now for the "nudity"

parkermauney
May 28th, 2007, 04:39
Well, turns out it was just a .ASS error.