PDA

View Full Version : [PS3] 1.80 DVD Upscaling Tested

Triv1um
May 24th, 2007, 20:49
via I4U News (http://www.i4u.com/article9126.html)

Today marks the official availability of the 1.80 firmware update for the PS3. After trying for an hour to be able to get the update from Sony’s already overwhelmed servers I was finally successful in getting the update applied.

I have always had my PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my Viewsonic N4251W 42” LCD HDTV. I have watched upscaled flicks for a long time now on my main living room TV set via my Denon S-301 upscaling 2.1 home theater system. I was quickly hooked on the huge improvement in image quality I saw from standard DVD quality video to the upscaled 1080i quality.

We put our kids to bed early here and usually when it comes time for the wife and I to watch some flicks we end up watching in the back living room so we don’t wake the kids with the surround sound from the main living area. I always hated to do that because the back living room is where we had to watch movies on the PS3 and the lack of upscaling was very apparent in each DVD we watched.

Thankfully, now that the 1.80 firmware is out I no longer have to make sacrifices on the image quality of my DVDs by watching them on the PS3. The video upscaling in this firmware update takes normal DVDs to 1080i on my HDTV, just as expected and they look great.

In fact, the upscaled movies on the PS3 look every bit as good as they do on my Denon S-301 home theater, and that system runs about $1500. Couple my PS3 with the SLS Q-Line Silver 5.1 surround sound system, I have connected via the digital audio output and I have a home theater package that sounds better and produces video every bit as good as the Denon S-301, for less than the Denon S-301 costs. Moreover, I get the added advantage of being able to play games as well as watch movies with the PS3.

---------------

I havent yet to try it, but it seems like it works well :P

SmashinGit
May 24th, 2007, 22:01
Totally agree. I am blown away by the quality of image from my dvd's. I had plans of getting rid of my dvd collection and going blu-ray, not anymore. This update is a significante improvement from the last firmware.

ngin.small
May 24th, 2007, 23:30
I agree this firmware update is amazing, my DVDs, ps1, and ps2 games look god like :) im in freakin' love my ps3 even more now!

hksrb25s14
May 25th, 2007, 01:24
there's upscaling on PS1 and PS2 games???

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 01:27
yes there is =)

mnuhaily22
May 25th, 2007, 08:52
Hell YA!!!!!!

VFerg
May 25th, 2007, 18:11
This works excellent! I have only tried some dvds but will try some ps2 and 1 games this weekend. And sony said that this was something they were not sure they were able to do! And bam it was just released without warning, I love it! I still havent tried those other features out yet, and that connect to media server thing I dont understand what thats for as well.

Neox69
May 31st, 2007, 13:58
Regarding the Media servers, I somehow have been able to connect my PS3 through the Vista media center option. I have no content on the Vista so I have to work with it over the weekend. That feature surprised the hell out of me!