View Full Version : Constant Freezing

platinumdragon
May 25th, 2007, 17:56
My Info:
Mobo: T071
Firmware: 3.40 OE
EBOOT: PSP-290 Version .499
GPS Device: None yet but I have a 290 coming and the FAKEFEED set to 1
Also I have the newest, I think, usbaac.prx and usbgps.prx files.
Mapthis! is in GAME340 folder and firmware is set to 1.50 kernel have tried 3.40 kernel, have also tried GAME folder with 1.50 and 3.40 kernel

MapThis! will load fine, I can load the maps it came with and any of the maps I create. And I can zoom and scroll around. But about 10 seconds after I load them they will freeze.

platinumdragon
May 25th, 2007, 19:32
I see a lot of issues with 3.40 on the board. Is there a way to back track to DA firmware 3.30? Also, what firmware is optimal, 3.30 Rev A or Rev A2?

MSI
May 25th, 2007, 19:50
Once I upgraded to 3.40 OE from 3.30 OE mine also started to hang much more often (this is a TA-082) when zooming in and out. I'm going to try and get another memory card and see what happens. But there's also another thing that is not very clear to me - what do the LOC numbers really mean. I understand that it stands for Location but what do the 0,1,2 mean. It seems that my PSP gets a fix with 1 or 2 much faster than with 0.
---------------------------------
3.40OE TA-082 with PSP-290
.499 Mapthis with 3.40 PRX

atari800
May 25th, 2007, 20:25
I have 3.40 and gps-290
I experienced freezing but I think it was something to do with my maps
I recreated a map and placed it on psp and it is fine now

Also it could be something to do with the speed of the map retrieval - if you MS is fragmented.

Try this:
Connect PSP up to PC and copy then entire PSP contents to a directory (c:\psp-temp)

Once completed - format the stick using the PSP

Connect PSP up to PC and copy then entire PSP-temp directory back to PSP

I got the 8 gig stick and takes about 10 minutes to copy - 5 seconds to format - 10 minutes to copy back
*stick is pretty full

platinumdragon
May 25th, 2007, 21:03
I ended up getting back to 3.30 OE-A.
Then I did some kind of flash formatting thing.
Then I took all of my crap off, formatted the card and then put the crap back on.
Now it's performing a lot better, but still freezes every no and then.

My card is a Sony MemoryStickPRODuo High Speed 2GB.

Do you think I need maybe a Sandisk instead?

I have 3.40 and gps-290
I experienced freezing but I think it was something to do with my maps
I recreated a map and placed it on psp and it is fine now

Also it could be something to do with the speed of the map retrieval - if you MS is fragmented.

Try this:
Connect PSP up to PC and copy then entire PSP contents to a directory (c:\psp-temp)

Once completed - format the stick using the PSP

Connect PSP up to PC and copy then entire PSP-temp directory back to PSP

I got the 8 gig stick and takes about 10 minutes to copy - 5 seconds to format - 10 minutes to copy back
*stick is pretty full

cuizable
May 25th, 2007, 22:00
I have 3.40 OE and TA-079 mainboard, mine freezes sometimes and every freeze occurs when I'm zooming in or out on a map, I think it is a little bug..
But this is homebrew and it's normal for it to have bugs, I'm sure Deniska will fix this on the next release.. :)

atari800
May 25th, 2007, 22:23
Try a smaller map
Or recreate your map
It *might* the map file could be damaged when it froze while it was accessing it, leaving at corrupt.

I dont experience freezing any more. And I am using Hybrid Maps

I am using a Sony Memory Stick PRO Duo
8gb MagicGate

It's a little slower than my 1 gig card but I prefer space over speed

platinumdragon
May 26th, 2007, 00:23
What are "Hybrid Maps"?

MIB.42
May 26th, 2007, 04:14
What are "Hybrid Maps"?

Satellite + street renderings.
These are stored in JPG, while "street only" is in PNG ( generally )

MIB.42
May 26th, 2007, 04:20
I ended up getting back to 3.30 OE-A.
Then I did some kind of flash formatting thing.
Then I took all of my crap off, formatted the card and then put the crap back on.
Now it's performing a lot better, but still freezes every no and then.

My card is a Sony MemoryStickPRODuo High Speed 2GB.

Do you think I need maybe a Sandisk instead?

Here is a little evaluation I did a while ago on MemoryStick attributes... You can answer your question after reading this:

http://www.psp-hacks.com/downloads/MSTest.pdf

You can also run this code to check your results:

http://dl.qj.net/MSTest-v1.0-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/819/catid/151

atari800
May 26th, 2007, 07:19
hybrid is
plain old yellow and white
versus
the map with trees and buildings
*like google earth

Ranmax09
May 26th, 2007, 10:23
I had the same problem and I solved it by disabling some of my plugins on recovery mode.

Hope this helps :)

killer@all
May 26th, 2007, 12:10
It was the same prob with my mate , he also diabled a few plugins from the recovery mode and it helped him too

;)

mymegamouth
May 26th, 2007, 13:42
MIB.42, if you use hybrid maps, are the maps smaller if you use the old, properly working files structure?

Optic
June 4th, 2007, 20:13
Hello,

Recently i purchased a PSP and the PSP-290, I directly installed FW 3.40oe-a on TA-082. I also have these freezing problems with Mapthis v0.499, I have a Sony MS 4GB and a 1GB Sandisk .With the 1GB card i have less problems than with the 4GB. Most of the freezes happen while loading a large map. I have found out if I first open a small map and than a large map, it loads correctly without problem. But it still freezes sometimes while moving/zooming.

I want to try the thing with disabling the plugins in Recovery menu, but there aren't any. Did I forget something?

Greetz.

platinumdragon
June 4th, 2007, 20:39
Hello,

Recently i purchased a PSP and the PSP-290, I directly installed FW 3.40oe-a on TA-082. I also have these freezing problems with Mapthis v0.499, I have a Sony MS 4GB and a 1GB Sandisk .With the 1GB card i have less problems than with the 4GB. Most of the freezes happen while loading a large map. I have found out if I first open a small map and than a large map, it loads correctly without problem. But it still freezes sometimes while moving/zooming.

I want to try the thing with disabling the plugins in Recovery menu, but there aren't any. Did I forget something?

Greetz.

I'm having pretty much the same results. I just got my PSP-290 today too so I'm sure I'll have a whole bunch of new questions. Although right now it's realy cloudy so I'm not even going to mess with it.

FatesWebb
June 4th, 2007, 20:44
I know that optic said that he has 499 but if you are getting freezes when loading maps make sure you have 499, and that your map is not zipped up.

Optic
June 4th, 2007, 21:32
They aren't zipped (I think), in the map folder are a few GPSFS files and some .PNG pictures.

MIB.42
June 5th, 2007, 23:23
MIB.42, if you use hybrid maps, are the maps smaller if you use the old, properly working files structure?

Tile size is the same size (256x256), the number of tile in the files are also same, size of the GPSFS might be a bit different, maybe less a bit, but it depends on the satellite images... The non-satellite images are stored in PNGs, thus the size differs greatly compared to the hybrid/sat images...

fak3
June 8th, 2007, 12:41
same problem here with cf 3.40 oe-a and a t-082 psp.. and i also have no plugins installed.. whats the problem with these freezes?

AJ_NZ
June 10th, 2007, 08:12
Hey everyone, this is what I have found to fix the freezing issue:
Start Mapthis, open your smallest map (I use the global map) before moving or changing zoom levels, press the start button and change the CPU clock speed to 333. Then press select and open the map you want, move and zoom all you want. The chance of freezing at 333 is virtually zero.
If you have a GPS reciever now press start and goto GPS info, press the down key and change the speed to 111, this will ensure you get a fix on the satellites. Once fixed, go back to your map and turn on GPS mode, once your position is located change the speed back to 333.
Easy Peasy.

Optic
June 11th, 2007, 10:11
Mine works automaticly at 333mhz, i once changed it to 111mhz but it was too slow. I still have a lot of freezes at 333mhz, but less than 111mhz.

fak3
June 11th, 2007, 17:03
Hey everyone, this is what I have found to fix the freezing issue:
Start Mapthis, open your smallest map (I use the global map) before moving or changing zoom levels, press the start button and change the CPU clock speed to 333. Then press select and open the map you want, move and zoom all you want. The chance of freezing at 333 is virtually zero.
If you have a GPS reciever now press start and goto GPS info, press the down key and change the speed to 111, this will ensure you get a fix on the satellites. Once fixed, go back to your map and turn on GPS mode, once your position is located change the speed back to 333.
Easy Peasy.
thanks, now i have less freezes even if sometimes still freezes specially when i try to zoom in/out.. :(

Optic
June 13th, 2007, 22:27
I have found something new ,I have less freezes by doing this:

Format your memstick with your computer to by clicking "start->execute", than enter in the window:
" Format R:/FS:FAT ". The " R " stands for the drive letter of your memstick, this may differ with your drive letter, change it if necessary . When you do this ,your stick will be formatted in FAT (Fat16) in stead of FAT32 when you do it via your psp. It means your stick works faster.
You will see a ms-dos screen, it will say what you must do to continue, if it gives you a warning about clusters, press Y (Yes/No). Now its done, you may make manually maps (ISO,MUSIC,PHOTO,...) in the drive directory.

!!! BACK-UP YOUR MEMSTICK BEFORE FORMATTING !!!

I use a memstick of 1gigs (runs faster than my 4gigs stick), and cpu speed @ 333mhz.

I have made a translation of a tutorial on a dutch forum: http://www.psp-media.nl/tutorials/10289-tut-maak.html

Good luck.

Optic
June 14th, 2007, 11:06
This morning i made a long trip with the car and haven't had any problems. I can now open large maps without freezing at loading. On normal use i haven't had any freezes so far, but if i try it to freeze it happens rarely (zoom in and out constantly and very fast).

loki192
June 17th, 2007, 03:11
Hey all.

I've been having a similar problem - and I've experimented with some prx/FW/mapthis combinations and found the most stable combo for me is:

map this! v0.498
3.03 OE-C
both 3.03 prx files

I haven't been able to crash this combo yet - I can load up a map of my area (~80mb) and zoom in and out like crazy and it's fine.

I'm going to try making a BIG map, maybe ~600mb or so, and see how that goes - I'll post my findings here

loki192
June 17th, 2007, 07:00
UPDATE:

loaded up a big map (669MB) and could not get it to crash even after 5 mins of frantic scrolling and zooming.

looks like my stability problems are solved - i'll take it for a drive tonight....

will let you guys know if it ever crashes.

Optic
June 17th, 2007, 10:41
Yeah, I know it works better with lower firmwares. But the freezing problems are particulary happening with firmware 3.40oe-A. I would like to get it fixed without having to downgrade again.

chris.thesandman
August 9th, 2007, 05:19
okay so i'm running 3.40oe as well along with a psp-290 and a sandisk 4gb memstick. I've been running this for a few weeks and still problems with freezing and driving around. I've tried small and large maps, I have no problem getting sats whether 111mhz or 333mhz and still the same problem.
Maybe this might be fixed with version 0.5?

(fingers crossed)

Denisottawa
August 9th, 2007, 05:58
I have 3.4 OE (TA-082)
Using PSP-290 for 2 months and happy with it.

Freezing problem was present since the beginning with all the cards and MapThis versions, but my experiments showed that MapThis v.0498 is the most stable version for my PSP.

maddrummer
August 9th, 2007, 07:39
Here's how i fixed my freezing issue. - it appears your memory stick files are fragmented.

try this
1) format mem stick (back up all your stuff first)

2) copy MAPTHIS WITH MAPS as the FIRST program back in /psp/game352 (or whatever) ... I repeat again - FIRST

3) copy the rest of your stuff.

- what it does is that the map files will be 'together' and not have fragmentation issues which hangs up my psp.. Am currently using a 60mb map

alford_marcus
March 11th, 2010, 08:01
Hi,

Anyone know the cause of why Map this! freezes after a 5-10 minutes?

My Info:
PSP3000
Custom firmware 3.7
16Gb Memory

I am using map this! 5.20 with a GPS-290

All the power save settings are turned off
I tried smaller maps but still the same problem.
I use GMDL google non satellite maps.

The problem only happens once i turn the GPS on. The GPS works fine until it freezes. It seems like it is drawing too much power? Ihave even had the charger plugged in while doing this and it makes no difference.

Anyone had the same problem? Any advice could help out.

Thanks.
Marcus.

Maser_Mister
April 8th, 2010, 23:33
Hi,

Anyone know the cause of why Map this! freezes after a 5-10 minutes?

My Info:
PSP3000
Custom firmware 3.7
16Gb Memory

I am using map this! 5.20 with a GPS-290

All the power save settings are turned off
I tried smaller maps but still the same problem.
I use GMDL google non satellite maps.

The problem only happens once i turn the GPS on. The GPS works fine until it freezes. It seems like it is drawing too much power? Ihave even had the charger plugged in while doing this and it makes no difference.

Anyone had the same problem? Any advice could help out.

Thanks.
Marcus.

I have exactly the same problem

PSP 2000
CFW 5.50 GEN D 3
4 GB Sony memory stick magic gate