PDA

View Full Version : Sega Saturn runs slow

Stalker Ben
May 25th, 2007, 18:23
Hi guys,

I purchased a Japanese Sega Saturn (HST-0004) off of eBay and all in all, it looks to be in great shape and in working order. However, the system runs far slower than it should. Games run at (what I assume to be) 2FPS. I have multiple games and they all suffer the same malady. Even the Saturn boot splash runs slower than it should.

This is the first Saturn I've owned, but I've watched many game videos on YouTube and the like in order to know that games should not be running at such a low FPS. The system has good air circulation, so I am unsure what the problem is.

Is this common, or do any of you have an idea of what the problem could be? Or is the Saturn trash?

Thanks much.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 18:31
Well my saturn runs great.. erm.

It seems like it is trash to be honest, but im not sure

Is it modchipped?

Stalker Ben
May 25th, 2007, 19:12
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. No I don't believe it's modchipped, although I really wouldn't know how to check. It looks like it's in great shape though, not much wear and tear.

Welshboy
May 25th, 2007, 19:15
That's not to say that one of the components inside is damaged?? open it up and have a look?

Stalker Ben
May 25th, 2007, 19:18
Hi,

Will do shortly. I assumed most of the console would be fine if it works at all, but I'll tear it open shortly and make sure it's clean. Thanks for the idea.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 19:24
Yeah, and if it is modchipped you will tell, because its probily celotaped to the inside (mine is, haha)

JKKDARK
May 25th, 2007, 19:26
Maybe your Saturn len is not good ?

Stalker Ben
May 25th, 2007, 19:33
Hi guys,

I opened it up and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. I used some compressed air to make sure it is dust free, but am still having the same laggy problem.

Maybe your Saturn len is not good ?

I don't believe that could be the problem, because even the Sega Saturn boot splash screen lags, which doesn't require a CD at all.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 19:39
Well maybe your mobo is just on its last legs.

Welshboy
May 25th, 2007, 20:03
Yeah............I think the actual system has just "conked" out after prolonged use or being put in a cold /hot cupboard for ages. Get a refund matey boy!.

JKKDARK
May 25th, 2007, 20:15
Well, don't forget Sega Japan still repair Saturn consoles until September 2007 :p

Stalker Ben
May 25th, 2007, 20:16
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help. I'll assume the obvious.. the motherboard is going. I don't suppose a dead BIOS battery could cause anything like this? The console asks me for the time and date each time I start it up.

I ordered a cartridge that plays imports, so I might just stick with US consoles from now on.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 20:59
Well for the date and time thing it is the battery.

But that wouldnt make games/spash screen lag.

Mine has been dead for years.

Stalker Ben
May 26th, 2007, 03:42
Ahh, alright that's what I figured.

Thanks again for all the help :)

Stalker Ben
May 31st, 2007, 19:08
Just an update! I hooked up an N64 this morning... and had the exact same problem. So it was not the Saturn after all, but rather the stupid ports on the television. I am glad the Saturn is fine, but upset at the TV which is only 16 months old!

Thanks again for all the help :)

VampDude
May 31st, 2007, 19:13
Well, don't forget Sega Japan still repair Saturn consoles until September 2007 :p

Does that include European machines?

Good thing both of mine are still good! :D

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 00:09
Does that include European machines?

Good thing both of mine are still good! :D

Yes, you can send consoles from any region ;)

VampDude
June 1st, 2007, 19:30
Yes, you can send consoles from any region ;)

With the postage cost (to Japan and back) plus repair charges (I doubt they are cheap and SEGA need to make money somehow), it would probably be cheaper to buy a used one from eBay. Thou used Sega Saturn's are getting more and more expensive as we speak, I have 2 Saturn's (both oval and round buttoned versions) and hopefully another one soon (I want a Derby Stallion)...

...Back on topic of what you said, I'm sure that there are other places that can fix Sega Saturn's apart from Sega of Japan thou because according to Wikipedia Sega sold 10 million Saturn units worldwide. It would be one hell of a shame if they were all to become unrepairable by all means if no other people/companies to pickup where Sega don't want to continue, I think that if there is going to be no one to repair Sega Saturn's after September2007 I'm going to have to buy every single working/boxed Sega Saturn I can possibly lay my hands on before the value rises yet again

---Now I'm Going Completely Off Topic---

The prices on Saturn's are all over the place, just look. It was going down, now up??? hmmm...

I got my first Saturn just over 10 years and ago - it was £140 and came with Bug!

My second Saturn (to replace broken first Saturn) 9 years ago - was £99.99 (I eventually P/X'd it for a N64 game)

My third Saturn (after my boredom of the N64) which was a lowly 34.99 - which I eventually traded with a whole load've stuff and cash for a brand new Dual Shock PS1 (8 years ago)

My fourth Saturn (to replace my boredom from the PS1) 7 years ago - was £29.99 in a game store with a few games - That oval buttoned Sega Saturn now lives next to my TV in my room at my grandparents house (that I've not been back to since November 2004 - my Panzer Saga is there and I miss it :()

My fith Sega Saturn which I only just bought a few weeks ago on eBay (fedup playing emulated Saturn), I payed £35.00 (it came with 5 crappy sports games - now they're cool frizbee's)

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 22:52
But if you send your Saturn to Sega Japan.. your Saturn will be refurbished! (yeah it sounds fantastic).
There are A LOT of people in the world repairing consoles , so it's not a problem.

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 00:24
But if you send your Saturn to Sega Japan.. your Saturn will be refurbished! (yeah it sounds fantastic).
There are A LOT of people in the world repairing consoles , so it's not a problem.

Refurbished? Would they refurbish a plain black Saturn to either a white Saturn or a Derby Stallion? (Dumb question I know, and the answer is probably NO)

Hopefully there will always be people to repair Sega Saturn's thou, because if there wasn't then the Sega Saturn scene would well and truly die which would be a shame cause even thou the Saturn wasn't popular in it's day it had some of the best games ever made.

JKKDARK
June 2nd, 2007, 00:52
Refurbished? Would they refurbish a plain black Saturn to either a white Saturn or a Derby Stallion? (Dumb question I know, and the answer is probably NO)

Hopefully there will always be people to repair Sega Saturn's thou, because if there wasn't then the Sega Saturn scene would well and truly die which would be a shame cause even thou the Saturn wasn't popular in it's day it had some of the best games ever made.

Well I think Sega Japan will repair the console with the same stuff. What's Derby Stallion? a limited version? If it is, then you will not get one from them.

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 01:56
Well I think Sega Japan will repair the console with the same stuff. What's Derby Stallion? a limited version? If it is, then you will not get one from them.

Yeah, the Derby Stallion is a [Japan Only] limited edition Saturn (pictured below) I would do just about anything for one of these http://tachyondecay.net/blog/images/smilies/drool.gif

Pity SEGA won't turn my existing (round buttoned) Saturn into one! :(

http://i20.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/a1/bb/2cc4_12.JPG

Triv1um
June 2nd, 2007, 10:28
Ive got a stallion (i dont know whats what they were actually called though), you would cry if you knew how much i brought it for ;)

Yeah, its cheaper and easier to just buy a new one.

---

And going off topic, i have a model 1 and model 2 and a stallion :)

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 15:37
Ive got a stallion (i dont know whats what they were actually called though), you would cry if you knew how much i brought it for ;)

Yeah, its cheaper and easier to just buy a USED (edit: new -to- USED) one.

---

And going off topic, i have a model 1 and model 2 and a stallion :)

I might get a Stallion sooner than I think, theres a place in China that sells Saturn's (all models) cheaply enough :D