PDA

View Full Version : PS3 sales incur all-time low in Japan

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 18:54
Via Punch Jump News (http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=4238)

Sales for Sony Corp.'s Playstation 3 fell to an all-time low in the latest weekly retail sales data for Japan.

Media Create Co. on Fri. reported that the PS3 sold 8,659 between May 14 and May 20. The sales number is below last week's previous low of 8,839 units.

Additionally, no PS3 titles ranked in the top 50 game sales for the week, unchanged from the week prior.

The struggling console is less popular than previous Playstation consoles, including the PSP handheld at 27,505 units and the Playstation 2 at 10,881 units sold in the same period.

U.S. sales figures for the PS3 in Apr. were equally unencouraging, moving only 82,000 units in the month.

Sony this month posted a $563 million loss in the fourth quarter of the fiscal year on PS3 build costs and lower-than-expected sales.

This week it said that it may release an 80GB version of the PS3 hardware to the U.S. and other territories. The new hardware SKU is due for Korea in mid-June.

--------------

Not good huh? Haha

Buddy4point0
May 25th, 2007, 19:14
haaahahaha. lol u always read about oh highest sales!
we made the most money. and now... ps3 lowest sales.
lolololol! thats halarious

smiles
May 25th, 2007, 20:41
You should rephrase that the PS3's "lower" sales. If you want the lowest I'm sure the XBOX 360 gets that award.

gdf
May 25th, 2007, 21:55
ehhhh...no. 360 has sold better than ps3 in all territorries except japan. considering how popular ps2 was compared to the original xbox (many times) then i would say that sony have lost lots of ground.

Welshboy
May 25th, 2007, 22:10
Early days lads......early days. Everyone went mental for the N64 when it was released as well.....then look what happened. The console transition is still in its infancy really, when newer games are released and more HDtv's are sold to encourage buyers to purchase a next gen console things will really begin to take off.

smiles
May 25th, 2007, 22:28
ehhhh...no. 360 has sold better than ps3 in all territorries except japan. considering how popular ps2 was compared to the original xbox (many times) then i would say that sony have lost lots of ground.

Exactly right and just as the topic stated this was for the Japanese market. Were the 360 is practically non existent and failing miserably.

While the PS3 is not doing as well as the PS2 did in Japan the same should be said of the XBOX. The 360 is doing much worse even in Japan then the original XBOX did.

alienanthropologist
May 25th, 2007, 22:31
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure when some decent games are released on it, it will pick up.

On other news, pigs can fly.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 22:31
Yeah, the japs dont seem to take to XBOX at all.

The PS3 will never have the success that the PS2 had, no matter how much we wish.

I just hope my 500 pounds wasnt all a waste

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 22:39
Japs hate Xbox (from what Ive heard) due to it not originating in Japan. Extremely rude, yes I know...

Still, Japan is the PS3 hometown. this can only mean bad news...