PDA

View Full Version : Sony Sued in Blu-ray Patent Dispute

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 22:15
Via All Headline News (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7007455253)

Irvine, CA (AHN) - Target Technology has filed a lawsuit against Sony, alleging the entertainment company's Blu-ray disc format infringed a patent lowering the cost of optical discs. The lawsuit, filed in Southern Indiana U.S. District Court, requests a permanent injunction and damages.

Blu-ray discs are used by Sony's PS3 and high-definition DVDs. The Target patent enables the reflective layer of optical discs to use silver-based alloys rather than more expensive gold. The silver-based material is also more corrosive-resistant, according to Cnet's GameSpot.

The lawsuit doesn't say whether all or just some Blu-ray discs infringed the patent. Target was granted the patent in March 2006 after it was filed in 2004.

Sony declined comment, Cnet reported Friday.

Buddy4point0
May 25th, 2007, 22:18
haha, sony is trying to get money anyway they can cause of the ps3 failure, too bad they got sued for it lol

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 22:34
Now im starting to feel bad for Sony...I mean, they did some pretty bad things, but I learned I don't hate Sony as much as I hate Sony FANBOYS! :(

F9zDark
May 25th, 2007, 22:47
Target Technology is just looking to get some easy money. I hope the entire Blu-Ray Association smites these bastards.

I really love how society works. I am quite certain Sony applied for a patent on its BD reflective coating material, and yet the patent office didn't tell them there was already a patent on it?

So is everyone just supposed to stop inventing, advancing and improving on technology because there is no easy way to find out what products there are patents on?

DPyro
May 25th, 2007, 22:50
Damn patent squatters! :mad:

Shadowblind
May 25th, 2007, 22:52
I dont get why it matters. Are humans so pathetic as to sue another for what they MAKE THEIR DISKS OUT OF?! Seriously, whoever made that lawsuit probably doesnt give a rats a** about what it was made of. They just wanted the money.

Triv1um
May 25th, 2007, 23:04
Well isnt that what every sue is about?

If there was no money no-body would bother sueing.

Cloudhunter
May 26th, 2007, 00:56
Seriously, if they knew about bluray ages in advance, why didn't they sue before?

Cloudy

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 01:37
Seriously, if they knew about bluray ages in advance, why didn't they sue before?

Cloudy

Because, they wanted to wait until Blu-Ray has earned some serious cash and gained a good foot hold before suing.

Heres the reason from the article I read from Gamespot, which has more information than the one posted by the OP:

Target is seeking a permanent injunction preventing Sony from violating its patent rights in the future, as well as damages with interest, multiplied due to what it characterizes as deliberate and willful infringement.

Now this has some MAJOR repercussions (if Sony did violate any patents). First off, Sony wont be allowed to use the method or material in all future Blu-ray discs if this suit wins out. Secondly, they want Damages WITH Interest MULTIPLIED by (some number) due to "willful infringement". Since the patent for Target Technology was granted March of 2006, that gives them almost a year's worth of interest to rack up on...

I believe that if a company waits that long to file patent infringement cases, they should merely be dropped entirely. Because all that is doing is creating a system where people would rather wait to collect interest than have to save their business.

And also, if said company really made a disc reflective material (that, as far as I understand, can only be used in Blu-Ray discs) why didn't they bring this to Sony or the BR Association before?

Seems to me that this company got wind of the only way to make a reflective coating for the 'future' Blu-Ray discs (the patent was filed in 2004, even though it was granted in 2006) and was HOPING for this.

It would be like hearing about prototype hydrogen cars, then producing the only cost effective and feasible method of building a hydrogen engine's fuel injectors, patenting it and then suing any and all companies for using those same injectors later on, when they realized they are the best way to go.

acn010
May 26th, 2007, 01:50
i thought sony created such disk and the rights of such technology me confused

Shadowblind
May 26th, 2007, 02:02
Because, they wanted to wait until Blu-Ray has earned some serious cash and gained a good foot hold before suing.

Heres the reason from the article I read from Gamespot, which has more information than the one posted by the OP:

Now this has some MAJOR repercussions (if Sony did violate any patents). First off, Sony wont be allowed to use the method or material in all future Blu-ray discs if this suit wins out. Secondly, they want Damages WITH Interest MULTIPLIED by (some number) due to "willful infringement". Since the patent for Target Technology was granted March of 2006, that gives them almost a year's worth of interest to rack up on...

I believe that if a company waits that long to file patent infringement cases, they should merely be dropped entirely. Because all that is doing is creating a system where people would rather wait to collect interest than have to save their business.

And also, if said company really made a disc reflective material (that, as far as I understand, can only be used in Blu-Ray discs) why didn't they bring this to Sony or the BR Association before?

Seems to me that this company got wind of the only way to make a reflective coating for the 'future' Blu-Ray discs (the patent was filed in 2004, even though it was granted in 2006) and was HOPING for this.

It would be like hearing about prototype hydrogen cars, then producing the only cost effective and feasible method of building a hydrogen engine's fuel injectors, patenting it and then suing any and all companies for using those same injectors later on, when they realized they are the best way to go.

For freaking crying out loud SUMMARIZE, HUMAN!

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 02:31
For freaking crying out loud SUMMARIZE, HUMAN!

:confused:

I am sorry that my long posts bother you. But here you go:

-Company waits a long time to earn significant interest at Sony's expense.

-Company R&Ded ways to make Blu-Ray reflective material and patented it so other companies cannot use without paying them (whether or not they had any intention on making Blu-Ray discs, themselves)

-Company in my opinion did this only to make money through lawsuits, as they are not part of the Blu-Ray disc association, nor the founders of the technology.

Shadowblind
May 26th, 2007, 02:34
There thats better :p

1) Thats what I hate most about those people. They only sue after the company gets a good lot of money. Disgusting...

2) No comment

3) I know, thats what the worlds come too :(

steve520
May 26th, 2007, 03:13
HaHa thats is so funny

Dreamcast360
May 26th, 2007, 03:16
I find it funny how people are pissed off that Target Technology inc. is wanting to sue Sony for something clearly they own doesn't make any difference if it's only applied to BR technology or not clearly Target Technology own the process & or material used in that process if the tables were turned Sony would have no problem sicking there fleet of lawyers on anyone who infringed on there technology doesn't make any difference how long they waited the patient is still theres. I guess the funny thing of it is just think of it this way if you owned the patient you'd want to get paid too and wouldn't have the same outrage. Sony for it's part has done everything to cut the cost of it's console and media cost and by best estimates are still taking a huge loss this year and will be taking one by best accounts next year as well M$ same thing the only thing dragging it out of red ink or so they think is going to be Halo 3 but a doomed business plan is still that a doomed business plan and Sonys going to have to come up with something else besides infringing on other peoples patients to cut there cost to be competitive $600 is a big leap for anybody.

F9zDark
May 26th, 2007, 05:10
Had the tables been turned, you're right, Sony probably would sue. But whats most disgusting about this is the fact that this company waited this long to sue. They didn't come right out when the patent was granted to file a lawsuit...

I found their site at http://www.targettechnology.com/main/index.php

A quick perusal determined that they use this technology in DVDs.

I was under the impression that the reflective surface on a disc is partially what makes it different from other discs, but I have found no evidence to support this.

But then again I highly doubt Sony would willingly infringe on a patent held by another company. Seeing that that would not help them any...