PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a UMD replacement Holder!

Greensprout
June 3rd, 2005, 15:57
Hey!

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy UMD replacement holders, I don't mean the ones you put the full UMD in I mean the actually plastic and perspex 'UMD Disc cover'

View the pic, the clear part of the plastic has come away from the white bit and the PSP can't read the game..
http://img234.echo.cx/img234/576/image2403ae.th.jpg (http://img234.echo.cx/img234/576/image2403ae.jpg)

xuphorz
June 3rd, 2005, 17:11
Hey!

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy UMD replacement holders, I don't mean the ones you put the full UMD in I mean the actually plastic and perspex 'UMD Disc cover'

View the pic, the clear part of the plastic has come away from the white bit and the PSP can't read the game..

I've emailed sony asking about this, they should respond by next Tuesday.
I certainly hope this isn't fake

Greensprout
June 3rd, 2005, 18:44
I've emailed sony asking about this, they should respond by next Tuesday.
I certainly hope this isn't fake

This is not fake, I'm gutted.

I've since ordered both a high protection case with extra UMD storage and also some UMD protective holders.

As they say protection is cheaper than the cure! (Too late now).

If you want more pics i can take you some.

Thanks for you help Xuphorz.

Greensprout
June 4th, 2005, 10:59
anyone else have any ideas?

wraggster
June 4th, 2005, 11:05
i had the same problem with my world tour soccer game but i managed to make the plastic bits join together again.

its very annoying

Greensprout
June 4th, 2005, 11:23
i had the same problem with my world tour soccer game but i managed to make the plastic bits join together again.

its very annoying

I did do that for a couple of days, but now it's completely seperated.
Do you know if they're going to sell replacemnt ones?

gam3r
June 4th, 2005, 11:57
I dont think they sell replacement ones o.0. Maybe sony will replace it for you. I was wondering, what happends when you put the disc into a nmormal cd rom drive ?:p

leigh
June 4th, 2005, 12:53
i doubt sony will replace anything for you, seeing as they do not want people to import the console or games in the first place. they will proberly say to contact the seller?

Greensprout
June 4th, 2005, 13:23
they will proberly say to contact the seller?

Contact the seller.. would probably be a bit hard as a friend of a friend got me it from Thailand! :(

Greensprout
June 4th, 2005, 13:27
what happends when you put the disc into a nmormal cd rom drive ?:p

I'm at work now and all the pc drives are like laptops with the clip bit in the middle, so without taking out the middle metal bit i can't do it here.

I'll give it a go when i get home though..

leggy
June 4th, 2005, 15:44
Contact the seller.. would probably be a bit hard as a friend of a friend got me it from Thailand! :(

This is the problem for most of us who imported the PSP or games - getting repairs or replacements :(

leigh
June 4th, 2005, 18:11
Doh!!!

ganon
June 4th, 2005, 18:41
so what does the case just cone off or something

SchmuckofNI
June 4th, 2005, 18:45
I have the same problem with lumines, for some reason the case is a little cracked so the psp doesn't read it in the least bit... So I am thinking about taking apart my demo disc and using its case to replace lumines. Will post back here if any other developments occur.

Greensprout
June 4th, 2005, 20:11
so what does the case just cone off or something

I happened to me due to putting games in the case that came with the value pack and them getting pressed up against the PSP.

The see-thru bit must be just glued in some way to the white bit and it just gives way eventually :(

SchmuckofNI
June 4th, 2005, 23:12
Anyone know how to fix it?

xuphorz
June 5th, 2005, 00:36
Anyone know how to fix it?
the sony plp closed for the weekend, so i'll probly get the email reply on monday

SchmuckofNI
June 6th, 2005, 11:38
Hmm I hope sony or someone releases replacement cases. It would be really lame if you can't repair broken cases.. :/

Greensprout
June 6th, 2005, 15:36
Hmm I hope sony or someone releases replacement cases. It would be really lame if you can't repair broken cases.. :/

I would have thought some of these Jap sellers on Ebay would have been able to get someone to make these..

xuphorz - You had a reply from Sony yet?

xuphorz
June 6th, 2005, 17:43
I would have thought some of these Jap sellers on Ebay would have been able to get someone to make these..

xuphorz - You had a reply from Sony yet?

got it right now

here's the exact quote from my email:

The most effective way for us to assist you is by speaking with you directly. Please call our
Consumer Services Department at (800) 345-7669. Our representatives are available to assist you,
Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Standard
Time.

SchmuckofNI
June 6th, 2005, 21:35
It almost sounds like Sony repairs the case for you. Or maybe not.

Greensprout
June 7th, 2005, 15:35
Finally got thru on the number after going thru touch tone options for 2 minutes then been on hold for 4 more whilst the call got transferred then.. I finally got thru..

BUT not good news..

The Sony guy said Sony DO NOT and WILL not be reproducing after market disc surroundings.

His reason was that if they did produce them it would encourage piracy.

He suggested that they wouldn't break with normally use and would only break thru neglect or taking it apart.

I told him it was in my trouser pocket and I'd sat on it.
He said (smuggly) exactly that's neglect..

I said what happens when other people call with the same problem will Sony release replacements. He said it won't happen to other people unless they neglect the UMD.

I asked what I was supposed to do to play the game and his best answer was 'Buy the game again!'

Looks like I'm not playing this game again..

I HATE SONY! Sounds like there not interested in helping just in case I'm going to be pirating their software!

Anymore ideas? :(

xuphorz
June 7th, 2005, 16:45

ouchers.......
well, heres an idea:
there's this special kind of glue you can get at hardware store, it's meant to hold plastic together. maybe try using this special glue?

shizzle
June 7th, 2005, 17:28
i wouldnt put super glue in my psp?

xuphorz
June 7th, 2005, 18:24
i wouldnt put super glue in my psp?

not super glue, it ONLY sticks to plastic.
just apply a very thin coat around the outer circle of the claer plastic disk, then put it back where it goes, but tilt the UMD sideways, soyou can keep it above the actual disk, wwhill keeping it in place

Greensprout
June 7th, 2005, 18:27
I don't think it will be that easy to get it in a position to glue it :(

xuphorz
June 7th, 2005, 18:41
I don't think it will be that easy to get it in a position to glue it :(

try this: here (http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-272-all-purpose-and-misc/model-and-hobby-cement-174052.aspx)
I've used this stuff before, and it'ss pretty easy to work with. I found it at my local hardware store also.
oh, it's pretty thin for glue also, so it should hold it in place without being a bother to the psp

SchmuckofNI
June 7th, 2005, 18:44
Man that sucks, I'll probably end up buying the same game and end up selling my previous copy to a pawn shop. At least then I'll get some of my money back..

fukyou.
June 7th, 2005, 22:03
i got a better idea buy the game new open it up take new disk out go back to store say its broken get another new game and sell it on ebay or keep it or swap it for a new game or even store credit whatever u can get :)

Vimes220
June 8th, 2005, 00:12
Finally got thru on the number after going thru touch tone options for 2 minutes then been on hold for 4 more whilst the call got transferred then.. I finally got thru..

BUT not good news..

The Sony guy said Sony DO NOT and WILL not be reproducing after market disc surroundings.

His reason was that if they did produce them it would encourage piracy.

He suggested that they wouldn't break with normally use and would only break thru neglect or taking it apart.

I told him it was in my trouser pocket and I'd sat on it.
He said (smuggly) exactly that's neglect..

I said what happens when other people call with the same problem will Sony release replacements. He said it won't happen to other people unless they neglect the UMD.

I asked what I was supposed to do to play the game and his best answer was 'Buy the game again!'

Looks like I'm not playing this game again..

I HATE SONY! Sounds like there not interested in helping just in case I'm going to be pirating their software!

How about ringing back and telling them that as they are concerned about sftware piracy, you will take them the original damaged disc and case so that they can see that you are not actually long john silver!

failing that offer to take the original case and disk to them and shove it firmley up their arseholes. :p

Greensprout
June 8th, 2005, 08:25
How about ringing back and telling them that as they are concerned about sftware piracy, you will take them the original damaged disc and case so that they can see that you are not actually long john silver!

He hinted that I'd taken it to bits myself (for piracy reasons) and it's my own fault.. :mad:

Vimes220
June 8th, 2005, 16:38
He hinted that I'd taken it to bits myself (for piracy reasons) and it's my own fault.. :mad:

thats slander :eek:

Greensprout
June 8th, 2005, 17:01
I'm sure Sony will have to replace these eventually, there are a few people who've had similar experiences with cracked cases on here, so there must be quite a few others out there.

PimpMasterToTheMax
June 24th, 2005, 17:29
I've had the same problem with a couple of my UMD's. Sony sure screwed the pooch with this crap, especially considering their years of experience with the original MD's. I mean, come on, not even a sliding door? Unless they're counting on replacement purchases...

Anyway, I don't know where to get replacement cases either, but a suggestion for fixing the case is to separate the remaining portion (along the center of the white plastic), then it's easier to glue the clear plastic back in place. After the clear plastic is dried, then you can put the disc back in the case and glue the two halves back together. Hope that helps.

JcBoyCool
June 24th, 2005, 18:25
Even if sony will not make replacements some 3rd party developer will. Just might take awhile :(

fantoboy
June 24th, 2005, 21:08
here's an underhanded solution:

EBgames sells a 3 dollar guarantee on games called a GPG (gameplay guarantee)
This guarantees a game for a year if anything happens to it. EB employees are under extreme pressure to sell GPGs to make certain quotas. You may be able to go to an EB and just pay for the guarantee, and they'll switch it out for you on the spot. If your local EB is highly moral: buy the game with a GPG, come back with your broken one, switch it out, then return the sealed one with the receipt later.

compliments of an eb employee myself

BaconButty
June 24th, 2005, 21:18
Well we really shouldn't have to rely on tricking games shops to take back dodgy UMDs. This seems to have happened quite a bit. Sooner or later, Sony are going to have to start replacing them.

criptix
October 3rd, 2005, 02:34
My umds are coming apart because of those stupid UMD protectors by pelican...... If sony gives me the same answer I will say guess im gonna have to download the game since sony wont replace what i rightfully bought. This kind of
response by them shows that sony doesnt care about the gamer..... i hate most
nintendo games but they are the best in customer service they will fix anything even if its your fault.

Greensprout
October 3rd, 2005, 06:14
They really need to do something about this, because it must happen to alot of people.

I thought one of the Japanese companies on Ebay would be selling replacements by now.

shank69xo
October 9th, 2005, 08:59
I had a similar problem with my UMDs. The clear plastic circle on the top got partially broken from the white outer part. So the clear circle would push down and sit on the UMD. I fixed 3 of them with this problem, but the fix doesnt look pretty. I carefully lined the pieces up and made sure it was in place. Then used finger nail glueand spread it over the top with a toothpick. Let it dry slightly, wipe the excess off, leaving a small film of glue over the entire area where the clear circle meets the outer white plastic. After it drys it is stronger thena new UMD, but ugly as poo.
Hers a picture of the end result
http://img2.uploadimages.net/890218IMG_0428_(Custom).JPG
http://img2.uploadimages.net/625398IMG_0429_(Custom).JPG

multimediaman
April 11th, 2007, 16:54
I have a solution for this problem. please go to this website. www.multimediarecovery.com. We specialize in fixing these

Triv1um
April 11th, 2007, 17:03
This is ridge racer?

It happened to mine too, i used glue to fix it together. lol

umdfixkit
November 16th, 2007, 11:07
Hi,

We have the solution to fix your broken PSP UMD case. The UMD Fix Kit, check it out http://www.umdfixkit.com (www.umdfixkit.com) for more info.

UMD Fix Kit provides UMD Replacement Case.