PDA

View Full Version : 1.80 Firmware: Sorry PAL, No Backwards-Compatability Relief

wraggster
May 26th, 2007, 22:17
via kotaku (http://kotaku.com/gaming/abandon-all-hope/180-firmware-sorry-pal-no-backwards+compatability-relief-263774.php)

Not that pertinent to Americans, but PAL PS3 owners hoping for some kind of update to the PS3's backwards compatability list with the release of the 1.80 firmware are shit outta luck. We contacted SCEE to see if any games would either be added to the list, or at least have their status changed, and were told:

This upgrade focused on upscaling and there were no significant backward compatibility enhancements. As we have pointed out on many occasions, our engineer's focus is now on innovative applications and services for PS3 and not B/C, so you are not going to see major changes in future updates.

I think now's about the time to give up hoping for any significant additions to that BC list. Hope you all held onto your PS2s.

Shrygue
May 26th, 2007, 22:29
I was hoping that version 1.80 would provide more backward-compatability to PS2 titles on UK PS3 units. Shame... :(

Triv1um
May 26th, 2007, 22:40
Ro be honest the upscaling was enough.

Very pleased indeed.

Accordion
May 27th, 2007, 00:08
from what ive heard, some of the games broken in 1.7 have been fixed [again] maybe ?

Cloudhunter
May 27th, 2007, 01:47
I think now's about the time to give up hoping for any significant additions to that BC list. Hope you all held onto your PS2s.kotaku need some less emo news writers...

Cloudy

mikebeaver
May 27th, 2007, 01:49
What ever, I have a nice slimline PS2 that never gets used, and at least 2 old PS1 originals, so I dont really need it to play them any way, besides the fact that when I get one it will be an import one so that it works properly anyway :)

Welshboy
May 27th, 2007, 02:59
You know when your playing a PS2 game on a UK PS3 does it also come out at HD resolution? or does it revert to normal PS2 resolution?.......always wondered that as I don't own a PS3 yet.

Havie
May 27th, 2007, 07:24
Whatever he says I've got games that didn't work that now work with 1.8. Out of my PS2 collection I had about 10 games that didn't work and now I have 2, so go figure....

And yest PS1 and PS2 games can be upscaled.

yoshinatsu
May 27th, 2007, 07:54
Whatever he says I've got games that didn't work that now work with 1.8. Out of my PS2 collection I had about 10 games that didn't work and now I have 2, so go figure....

And yest PS1 and PS2 games can be upscaled.

Indeed. Even if you haven't noticed, the compatibility list is really good at the moment. At first I was disappointed with the PS3 NOT having backwards compatibility. But I thought, all of my games are backups, so it's gonna take a while to play my backup PS2 games on my PS3 or I'll buy some of them original. Then again, why pay something MORE, while the US guys got something BETTER for less money...:(
But I also know that. Some "analyst" mentioned that Europe is the key to the next-generation winner. And I believe that. No one ever game attention to Europe. But they suddenly saw that Europe actually has more games sales and more gamers (of course in terms of total population) than the US. They released that Europe is not Australia, with 10,000,000 people, and I see Nintendo and MOSTLY Sony (excluding the PS3 B/C issues and the PS3 release date delay) approaches Europe. Take some exclusive services (Chotto Shot, Passport to..., Loco Roco was firstly released in Europe, some PSP software Sony released, MANY PSP games released first in Europe or ONLY in Europe) That goes for developers, too. Urban Chaos, Europe first. Tomb Raider Legend & Tomb Raider Anniversary, Europe first, Shinobido - Way Of the Ninja & Shinobido - Tales Of The Ninja, Europe ONLY, and many other recent games. And many of the games we've never imagined to have, finally got on European shores.

RicardoG
May 27th, 2007, 12:42
Who said that there was no B.C. update?!
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence - now works
Final Fantasy XII - there used to slow de music when you would save your game and now is like playing no PS2.
Matrix:Path of neo - now works with some flaws at the begining.
So far so good.
Dont trust SCEE, after all the updates are not created in Europe it self.

Cloudhunter
May 27th, 2007, 13:48
... They release a new update and you say don't trust them?

SCEA, SCEE etc, are part of a single organisation.

However, glad to know that there have been updates.

Cloudy

jonezybaby
May 27th, 2007, 14:03
i no the manager of gamestation, wen 1.7 was the latest update he sed sum along the lines of "there were 2600+ games avaliable on ps2 and 2000ish are playable on ps3" so even if u think the b/c is shit 2/3 of games work!

Basil Zero
May 27th, 2007, 20:59
Every game I have for PS2 and PS1, have no errors whatsoever on the ps3 b/c list.

So I'm not worried...for now..

Xiofire
May 28th, 2007, 02:15
Some B/C has been updated. My copy of MGS 2 gave me to uncompatible screen, after the update, works great. And its upscaled! HD visuals on SD content FTW!
-Xiofire

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
May 28th, 2007, 14:09
Every game I have for PS2 and PS1, have no errors whatsoever on the ps3 b/c list.

So I'm not worried...for now..

i agree all my games work now.

Triv1um
May 28th, 2007, 14:27
Metal Gear Solid 2 substance doesn't work.

That is the only one i really want to work.