PDA

View Full Version : DCEmu Asks - What Inspired You to Buy the Consoles You Own?

wraggster
May 27th, 2007, 21:45
ahh its nice to actually sit at my laptop and do a bit of posting and with all the negativity from other sites towards consoles i thought it would be nice to remember what inspired us all to buy the Consoles we own.

Ill start myself and let others follow and either agree or disagree with my views.

Sony PSP.

When i first received my PSP i was amazed at the graphics, PS2 Quality graphics on a handheld, the ability to play DVD Quality movies. The system really packed some major processing power for a handheld console. The possibility of games never seen before in the palm of your hand was amazing.

Nintendo DS

Ive always been a Nintendo Fan and the game Mario 64 on DS promised Nintendo 64 graphics on a handheld. Graphics were better than GBA but on the first games not much difference, the area the DS really impressed me was the Dual Screen and the new avenues that opened up, the thought of games such as RTS and Sim games coming to the DS made it one of the most exciting consoles in a long time. Also playing the likes of Mario Kart on Wifi against anyone in the world is simply awesome.

Nintendo Wii

The first time i spotted the E3 video of the Wiimote in action i knew that the Wii would be a new era in Video Games, the thought of playing sword games, golf games and the likes of the Star Wars lightsabre games with a wiimote had me drooling at the mouth. The promise of Worldwide Wifi gaming is also a massive factor.

Xbox 360

The original Xbox was awesome for FPS games and ports of PC Classics to the console and the first time i seen an Xbox 360 game playing on a HD TV i was majorly impressed. The graphics were of a quality i had not seen before. The Xbox Live Network is another great plus for playing against people worldwide.

PS3

The PS3 is more than just a console its an HD Multmedia Center and the games when playing via an HD TV look for sure from a different generation from the ones we are used to. Blueray films are amazing, the quality of the picture at 1080i is draw dropping.

Theres just a few of my thoughts about the current generation of mainstream video game consoles. Despite all the negativity we have systems that are bringing some incredible games into our homes and in a way we never dreamed of years ago.

http://digg.com/playstation_3/What_Inspired_You_to_Buy_the_Consoles_You_Own

What inspired you to buy the consoles you own ?

kcajblue
May 27th, 2007, 21:48
PSP

my brother gave me his old one because i helped him buy his new one.

DS

i bought it because i wanted to have a lot of fun with my family and friends.

Wii

i still need to get mine. :(

Xiofire
May 27th, 2007, 21:49
Im a fan of all video games, so bought all consoles.
In order of "bestness"
Xbox 360
Nintendo DS
PS3
PSP
Nintendo Wii
(Please dont flame, just my personal preference)
-Xiofire

splodger15
May 27th, 2007, 21:57
PSP
I was overcome by the GFX at the time on the console also I was inspired by the great homebrew scene so I went out and purchased one.

Wii
Purchased one waiting for it to come I should recieve it on tuesday.
I purchased this console as the controller movement inspired me to get one the way you would move the controller to and the mods you can have for it aswell.

PS3
Planning on purchasing one of these later in the year looks a nice console plus I have always preferred a Sony console to a Microsoft console ;)

ICE
May 27th, 2007, 22:07
Wii
got tired of playing alone and now everyone from my neighbor to my mom wants to play too.

PSP
near ps2 graphics plus media playback on a handheld. nuff said ;)

DS
3d graphics plus touchscreen should= great FPS. still waiting...

^ ^
in order of bestness :D

Cloud_35
May 27th, 2007, 22:25
PSP
Loved my cousins' one, I wanted one,and there it was

GBA
It was the ultimate in portable gaming
NGC
Residnet Evil 4, got it sold after i beat it ........

Wii (Coming Soon :D)
The control, the games, the weight loss..............

A newly equipped PC
I had 16Mb of video, Pentium III and Win 98, It just died in front of me some days ago :(

gunntims0103
May 27th, 2007, 22:26
PSP
The graphics, MP3, Photo viewing, Web browser, and GTALCS was what made me buy my PSP. When i first got it. My PSP was on 2.00 firmware. I never knew about the homebrew scene so i updated to 2.60, then found out that there was a 2.00 downgrader. I followed the homebrew scene for some time. Once eloader from Fanjita was out, That when i really started to get into homebrew. When Sony dropped 2.70 i was at a dilemma. Either update to 2.70 to play new games or wait it out for a downgrader. My luck paid off as Dark_Alex released the 2.60 downgrader. Thats when my homebrew experience truly started. Here i am now, a happy OE user. In my opinion the PSP, when homebrew enabled, is the best handheld :)

WII
I got interested in the Nintendo WII from the innovated way you actually play the games. The first time i seen a commercial for WII sports. I was absolutely fascinated.

Demolition49
May 27th, 2007, 22:27
of the current gen consoles i have:

WII

when i saw how you could play games on wii it blew my mind away and still does so, its greatly innovative and ill always been a nintendo lover but when this hit the shelves it just stole my heart <3 :rofl:

PSP

the psp was an amazing media center and had a reasonable price, i wanted to experience this level of graphics and fuctionality on a handheld, the big screen was a plus too. Plus i wasnt really familair with sony so PSP gave me an in on what sony was like. The homebrew scene of PSP is just simply thriving and it really kept me entertained with my psp.

Elven6
May 27th, 2007, 22:28
Dreamcast: I bought it in the summer of 06, I was amazed by how graphically powerfull it was, capable of displaying better more detailed textures then a PS2 and GC (8MB vs. 4MB, 6MB). I really love the games that are on it, and of course the great homebrew scene, sucks how its gone now.

Xbox/Xbox 360

After the N64 was nearing the end of its short life time I needed another console, at first I wanted a PS2, until I went to a cousins house and saw him playing Halo, then I bought a Xbox. Since I had a big library of first Xbox games and I loved Perfect Dark the 360 was the best choice.

PSP I didn't buy it for the mediocre graphics, or the crappy Dreamcast ports, but more for the homebrew!

Sega Genesis Sonic of course!

N64 The great games it had, it had a lot of great party games that could keep you entertained for hours!

yaustar
May 27th, 2007, 22:30
Sony PSP
Shiny new technology. Who could resist. However, it didn't live up to my expectations of what a portable handheld console could be. Many of the games feel as if they should be played on a living room console rather then a handheld.

Nintendo DS
I was and still am a Nintendo fan. Many of the games are unique to this console and that alone makes it worth owning. A true pick up and play handheld console. (Still debating on getting a DS lite over my old DS)

Nintendo Wii
E3 2006. 'nuff said.

Xbox 360
Got a great deal off a friend, Live arcade and online gaming.

GP2X
The community and the fact that it is the successor to the GP32 was enough to warrant the purchase. Great emulators and homebrew plus a decent media player.

Malksta
May 27th, 2007, 23:03
PSP
Being amazed at the graphics for a handheld It seemed like it would be great fun to play with, and then I read in a magazine about Homebrew I was eager to buy one.. so I did :)

devmas
May 27th, 2007, 23:22
Ah, as for me...

NES and SNES:
My brother had those systems, so eventually, he gave me his NES and then later his SNES.

N64:
When I got $150 in 1998 (I had just turned 8 years old), I had the big decision of either going for the Playstation or the N64. I made a list of pros and cons, including the slow memory cards, slow loading times, and large disk space for the Playstation, and the fast cartridges for the N64. Most people (in school) told me to get a Playstation, but I felt compelled to get an N64. So, for Christmas, after giving in my money, I got my N64 and some really strange (I guess it could be rare?) version of Ocarina of Time.

Gamecube:
After a bunch of years, in 2003, I had more money. I decided that I would be a Nintendo guy, as the Nintendo stuff seemed more interesting to me.. because they have all the cool franchises I grew up with. So I got a Gamecube with a free Zelda: Collector's Edition, and then later I got Metroid Prime and some other games.

DS:
I have no idea at all, but the DS attracted me so much. The one game I really wanted was Feel the Magic: XY:XX. (I was always like, "Do you believe in magic?") It came out November 21st, 2004, and by Christmas, I had enough money to buy it, so then I ordered it online. It took me a while to get Feel the Magic, though... and then that one game messed up, too.. :(

Systems I Want:
Wii... and maybe a PSP if I can get a 3.03 or less one for $100 USD or less. (I use everyone else's PSP's because I downgrade everyone's in school...)

JKKDARK
May 27th, 2007, 23:40
Dreamcast
The amazing arcade ports and the online play touched my heart. Sadly it was discontinued after 2002 in America and Europe, but we still get official releases on Japan. And Sega Europe and Sega Japan supported Phantasy Star Online servers until April 7th 2007, thanks Sega!

Saturn
The prefect system for 2D games and shooters.

Nintendo 64
You didn't need a memory card since most of the cartridges had it inside. Sadly it didn't get the same successful games like the SNES, but I really enjoy this system.

Game Boy Advance SP
Probably the best handheld ever released. I love the RPG's released on this system. Also thanks to the Game Boy Advance, we got amazing 2D Sonic games.

PlayStation 2
A console full of games. Everything you want, everything is on the PlayStation 2. Lately I love this system because the Compilation games, like Sonic Mega Collection Plus, Sonic Gems Collection and Sega Genesis Collection, and don't forget the Sega Ages games released on Japan. Since I never got a PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 is backward compatibility with PlayStation games, I decided to buy PlayStation titles and enjoy these classic games.

PlayStation Portable
You can do a lot of things on this amazing handheld. Watch videos, listen music, play video games with nice graphics, etc.

Nold
May 27th, 2007, 23:51
Sony PSP.

Why should I buy a PSP if i have a DS Lite? I can watch videos if i want, listen to music and run gradt homebrew (DSLinux, DS Organizer, Moonshel...)

so why should i buy one?

Nintendo DS

I have nearly every Nintendo console, and if i heard of the DS i wanted to buy one, i ordered one just before the european release and i loved it!
After a few mounth don't looking at the DS I found the homebrew scene and now: I f***ing love my DS :D:D:D I do everything with it ^^ liste to music (even in the shower) Play games, surf the web and and and!
As my old ds was borken :( after 2 years of use, i bought a DS Lite and its even much much much better than the old one... I'm in love xD

Nintendo Wii

Seems to be a great system... will get one if it's cheaper...

Xbox 360 & PS3
Why should I buy one? I have a PC :D:D
And the 360 and PS3 can't do anything my pc can't :D:D

Sousanator
May 28th, 2007, 00:03
colecovision
- needed something that wasnt an atari

nes
- needed something with better graphics

genesis
- got to love sonic

playstation
- loved the sony tvs, plus 3dness

gameboy/ color
- needed games on the go

dreamcast
- burnt games ftw

playstation 2
- became a fanboy

psp
- fanboyish continued

n64
- needed to play super mario 64 with authencity

wii
- need to excercise my lazy bum

Elven6
May 28th, 2007, 00:12
dreamcast
- burnt games ftw

You pirated great games? You Bastard!

steve520
May 28th, 2007, 00:16
PSP- Because i seen the kickass graphics and how you could listen to music and videos

Nintendo DS- because it was free so i took it

Nintendo Wii- Because it looked fun and more actiony

Basil Zero
May 28th, 2007, 00:23
In order of favorites:

PSP---1 game made me want to get it, and the multimedia features, the game that made me get it was Darkstalkers Chronicle. Bought it in May 2005, best Game console I've invested on.

DS---Hearing about R4 and the games that are on it, made me get this baby 3 weeks ago (May 07) WOOT..

PS2-The awesome third party titles like Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Tekken and others made me get this babe back in July 2002.

GCN-Loved Nintendo and still do, Bought this especially for the reason that SSBM came out, bought this babe back in December 2001.

N64- 2nd system and wanted to play 3d games, bought this babe back in June 1998

SNES- 1st GAME SYSTEM, Parents bought, back in February 1991

GBA- Bought back in 2001, wanted to increase GB game collection

GBC- Wanted to play pokemon, got it back in 1998

acn010
May 28th, 2007, 00:31
Im a fan of all video games, so bought all consoles.
In order of "bestness"
Xbox 360
Nintendo DS
PS3
PSP
Nintendo Wii
(Please dont flame, just my personal preference)
-Xiofire

same here, except for the Wii, i won on a giveaway thing XD

Hiei311
May 28th, 2007, 00:42
psp- got this bad boy when homebrew started appering on the scene, and went through 2 of these
1st. fake downgrader
2nd. friend kicked my psp lcd screen in lol
now im on my 3rd with a 3.40OE-A, and it kicks ass

PS2- devil may cry, resident evil, jak, tekken, killzone
all that good shit

dreamcast- first gamesystem i had that used burnt games and homebrew.....still have it and play carrier

PS3- blueray, awsome console, home is comin soon
and have high hopes of dark alex hacking it lol
cant wait for killzone ratched & clank and all the kick ass ps2 sequals to come out...dont for get ff13 =]

wii- just resident evil 4 for it.....dont like 1st person
shooters thats what ps3 is for, but sports kick ass and mario...and zelda....and tramacenter

xbox360- ehhh only reason i got it was for dead rising halo 3 and gears of wars, im not a sony fanboy or anything but i dont like microsoft system poor services...and there big meany poser faces

please dont flame me :thumbup:

jwilds73
May 28th, 2007, 01:19
N64 I bought it at launch for Zelda which kept getting pushed back I was sick of Mario 64 and Mario Kart and traded it for the PSX

PSX Got in trade to a friend for a N64 and never looked back.

PS2 I knew it was an out of the box DVD player and was reverse compatible with my PSX games so I had to get one.

GBA SP I needed a portable gaming fix back in the days before the PSP

PSP As soon as I found out you could run emulators and homebrew on it I got one this was shortly after launch of the system.

Dreamcast inspired by this site which I originally found in my quest to learn all about PSP Emulation and Homebrew I purchased one after finding out it could run CDR's without a mod chip have about 100 games for it now.

Saturn Love of RPG's made me purchase this console which I have modded and have around 50 games for so far.

Wii I purchased this for Zelda. After Nintendo screwed me at the N64 launch I've finally given them another chance. Also knowing that it was backwards compatible with the GameCube I picked up a controller, memory card and the Legend of Zelda Collection from the Gamecube.

DarthPaul
May 28th, 2007, 01:25
PlayStation:

My dad bought me this one when I was a kid...we loved it. The great 3d-graphics,the CD player,it surely was something new and different.

PlayStation 2:

I was impressed with the original Playstation,then I saw that a new one was coming and of course bought it too.
Following the steps of the PS1,this have CD player,and the addition of DVD Player made me go crazy for it. From here on,I became a Sony fanboy.

PlayStation Portable:

I never liked hand-helds,but when I saw that Sony was releasing one,I couldn't resist. I bought it the same day it came out at morning. Now,it's my precious treasure. :)

PlayStation 3:

Still don't have it,but I will in a few weeks. Couldn't buy it the same day it came because my step-father borrowed money off me. Dang,but it'll be coming very soon,and it'll be very welcome with all of his ancestors.

Dull Blade
May 28th, 2007, 01:27
Dreamcast Didn't know about the homebrew scene at the time. But i loved shenmue, MVC2, Power stone, and the sonic series. So basically the shire greatness of its games won me over.

Game Cube Didn't really know what i saw in this system. probably my least fav. The real reason is Resident Evil 4, and for that reason alone, that is why i dont regreat my descision.

X-Box The raw power of the machine (at the time) and the great games. Fable, Halo, the Godfather, GTA (insert number here). However, it isnt a dreamcast so it cannot be my fav, more like an almost first, but second.

*** There are more, but I couldn't be bothered to list them all. Just my 2 favs and least fav***

Xiofire
May 28th, 2007, 02:11
X-Box The raw power of the machine (at the time) and the great games. Fable, Halo, the Godfather, GTA (insert number here).

Gotta agree with you there. Fable was an AWESOME!! game, and cant wait for Fable 2 on the Xbox 360. Anymore details on it or are they still campaigning about how unique your pet dog will be?
-Xiofire

SiDCrAzY
May 28th, 2007, 02:40
In no particular order and all of course in my opinion.

GP2X - Great community, homebrew, and emulators. Not one day has passed that I regret purchasing this neat little gadget.

NES - First time I played one it was my cousins, when I was about 5. So three years ago I finally decided to purchase one myself.

SNES - I had played the NES before and this was a SUPER nintendo? Count me in!

Genesis - Hmm, I bought the Genesis 3, a real super small version of the Genesis, after getting bored with my SNES. I bought "Jam Pack" I believe that's what it was called with it at Wal-Mart.

N64 - I loved Nintendo games and again my cousin had one so I got hooked on Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros.

Dreamcast - I got it in a trade with my friend. Lots of good games, I wasted my life away on Power Stone 1+2.

Gamecube - I bought it around the time Super Smash Bros: Melee came out and I had to have one for this game, I didn't really like the game as much as I thought I would, but I enjoyed some other great games on this system, like Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos.

PS2 - I don't really remember why I bought it, but I had and still am having some great times with this system.

Xbox - Also don't remember why I bought it, disappointed with it and sold it soon after.

PSP - It seemed like "the thing" to have at the time it came out and I got suckered in. Never really liked it much and sold it.

Never have wanted a DS and I don't plan on purchasing one ever. However I hope to soon be the owner of a 360, Wii, and PS3. In that order probably.

KeenCommander
May 28th, 2007, 02:45
Genesis - Sonic!
SNES - Donkey Kong and Super Mario All-Stars
Saturn - It was free :)
N64 - I absolutely adore Super Mario 64, and in general it's one of the best systems ever. I own 2.
Dreamcast - Soul Calubur, Street Fighter III, Marvel vs. Capcom 2
PS2 - Guitar Hero
Wii - Really innovative, virtual console, to actually be able to play Gamecube games, Twilght Princess (which I still don't have :( )
PSP - The homebrew (I just ordered it about 5 minutes ago so I don't actually have it...yet)
DS - Portable Super Mario 64
GBA - It's just awesome, portable Super Mario World
GBC - It's a GameBoy, how could you NOT want one

That's my list.

Aryn
May 28th, 2007, 02:58
PSP
I bought it because it showed a lot of promise as a portable device due to its capabilities. :p

Ninendo DS
I purchased this system because I developed a strong dislike for SONY and Nintendo seemed to be the "nicer" company at one point and I decided to switch brand loyalties.

Sega Dreamcast
I purchased this system because I could get somewhat decent games for it at cheap prices.

Nintendo Gamecube
I purchased it because a friend of mine brought his over and I loved the party games that were available for it. The Gamecube was also a bit cheaper than the PS2.

felonyr301
May 28th, 2007, 03:25
Xbox- wanted it because it was the best console of it's time come on rip music into the hard drive and listen to it in music was a nice plus. Best Launch line-up too- PGR,Halo,Dead or Alive. Started the online gaming-Halo on xbconnect, Halo 2 and PGR 2.

PSP- Bought it for watching high quality videos on the go (widescreen a plus) and equally because of it's homebrew capabilities. Without homebrew I would of just bought a video player.

Xbox 360- Same graphics or even better than the PS3 but cheaper. Wireless everything, Xbox Live destroys whatever PS3 can come up with and it has spoiled me lol. Started the downloadable demos online and vids so I'm never bored and Arcade is nice. Best controller since the PS2 period.

N64- Come on all the instant classics that we know. Has my favorite game of all time- Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and many more.

fpcreator2000
May 28th, 2007, 03:37
The Genesis Was a gift from my dad when I asked him for a NES, way to go dad!

N64 was a christmas present and Mario 64 got me,
Then Mario kart, and then star fox.

Bought a Dreamcast after the console died due to all the great fighting games on it.

Bought a Psone when it died due to the good capcom games on it.

Bought a Sega Saturn for the same reason as the dreamcast years after the system died.

Got my hands on a Phat Gameboy, then traded a friend for a Gameboy Pocket.

Bought a Gameboy advance because it was the next logical step, then upgraded to GBA SP classic.

Got my hands on a Neogeo Pocket bundle with 10 games because Snk vs. Capcom kicks ass.

Bought an Xbox for one reason only, HALO 2 w/ xbox live, nuff said.

PS2 because capcom loves sony.

Gamecube because.... It's nintendo.

Got the PSP two months after launch because it was either Ipod or the PSP. Psp is like a swiss army knife thanks to the homebrew scene. THANKS TO EVERYONE on the scene for making it happen.

Bought the Wii because it's a Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, Super Nintendo, Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and a Gamecube all in one. Bring on the CD systems Nintendo, but I love your work.

Bought a Phat Nintendo DS because it was the next logical step after a gameboy advance.

The ones that are left are:

PSP (Most played)
Wii (Not played as one wants)
Dreamcast (Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Fight for the Future. It's a (at least) once a year ritual)
Sega Saturn (Modded but not really played)

I regret selling the Neogeo Pocket to my friend:( , but the lack of a backlight was annoying:mad: since I only had time to play it at night, but thanks to E[mulator] on the PSP, the pain of foregoing such an item is not as bad.

Broadus
May 28th, 2007, 03:48
I got the PSP because it impressed the hell out of me, and it does all kinds of insane crap that no other portable electronic I've ever owned does.

I got the DS primarily for Advance Wars DS, because my dad and I love playing Advance Wars together, but also the DS often gets great exclusive titles.

I still have two Gameboy Advance systems. I'm not sure why.

I got the Super Nintendo years ago for the nostalgia of it, but now I've got like every SNES game I've ever wanted to own in cartridge form so the collecting is over.

I got my PS2 because I was trying to get all "next-gen". I wanted a Gamecube, but my brother wanted a PS2, but I'm happy that we got the PS2 anyway.

My brother gave me his Game Gear. That thing was magical, back in the day. But now the PSP can emulate it, which makes the games much easier to see.

acn010
May 28th, 2007, 03:58
OMG!!!!!!! I STILL CANT BELIEVE OF M Y NEO GEO POCKET!!!
it was long time ago and also it was expensive when i saw it( i just had to buy it, dificult to search AAA batteries

Hiei311
May 28th, 2007, 04:12
get chargeables at walmart...or radioshack

remansano
May 28th, 2007, 04:20
PSP
I bought it because of:
- Star Wars: Battlefront2
- Battlefield2 (what the hell happened to that one??)
- Homebrew + Hardware Specs

By the time I bought the PSP, the SNES emulator was still under work but I was sure that it could do A LOT of things altough Sony could not realize its potential.
Oh, and it's full potential will never be unleashed untill we have a chat client (like MSN) with voice and video (using the chotto-shot). And a P2P file transfer client I could leave the PSP turned on downloading some homebrew direct from another PSP's memory stick from the other side of the world.

EvilDooinz
May 28th, 2007, 04:55
Got my PSP mainly because I can develop on it and making console games is something i've wanted to do for along time so it was only natural to buy a psp its the easyest to get started developing on IMO.

Thought about getting an xbox 360 for development but found out you need to have and live subscription to xfer the apps to your xbox and could not share them so I diden't buy one. the XNA game studio rocks tho. lol. I still might get one if the service is updated.

alucard001
May 28th, 2007, 04:59
PS3
Kingdom Hearts III

EmO.KiD
May 28th, 2007, 05:17
HAVE:
psp- got it cause of the damn commercials and look.. when i finaly got it i realized it had onli one good game and i didnt have it gta... I was also pissed at the small memory that came with...so i gave it 2 a friend 2 borrow. then i found out it could play nintendo games and homebrew... i havent stoped playing it scince..

DS - common sense.... nintendo has amazing games...and they always try to come out with new ways for us gamers to play!

Gamecube - Bought it cause i dont like any games that come out of playstation there all shit... and i hate halo so god damn much its not even funny.. i also wanted 2 play summore great mario games And SSB and zelda games SHAWEEt!

n64- common.... when they were 1st out... even my grandfather wanted one..

Would Burn If Got As Present:
PS1
PS3
Xbox1
Xbox360
Any Sega COnsoles... sonics ok... but lets face it.. all the guy freakin does is run and i have never found a use for the shields.

Consoles i want:

WII- Hands down the greatest system of all time..

PS2- just for guitar hero

Nes- for mario games ... and other great games

Snes- basicaly the same concept as nes...

One last thing 2 say.. dont name a game final fantasy if its not the last one... call it Fantasy.. cause ur and idiot if there is more then one ending to a story which can clearly never end... its like a retard trying to hump a doorknob.

[Roger]
May 28th, 2007, 05:44
NES i got this one as a present around 1989 it was cool and all but i didnt get the feel for it since i was like 3 years old so i ignored it and traded it for a electric piano in 1993

Snes i got by during summer vacation when i was 10 years old it only came with NBA JAM 1993 it also made boried but i still have it, it possible fill of dust and spiderwebs

Sony PS1 i got it as a junk, my dad got it around 1998 and he got it for 20 bucks and that how i got really in to gaming, Gran Turismo series and MGS got me start as well

Sony PS2 it got this jewel around 2002 my mom bought it for me and it was worth it because i got high grades in my school and i still use it GTA, GT3&4, and MGS2

Sony PSP i was shocked when it was coming out and wanted one but no cash, but my friend got his from a friend he let me play his psp, but then in college he need money for books so i bought it from him and never let it go since then

Axelius
May 28th, 2007, 07:12
The really cool design and its Media-functions made me buy a psp...
But I don't have any other new consoles (just the older ones: GBA, GBC, GB (the big one), and N64, don't know why I bought them, all my friends had them, so I had to get them too)

Hiei311
May 28th, 2007, 07:21
PSP
- Battlefield2 (what the hell happened to that one??)

yea wtf ever happend to the psp version???
that pissed me the hell off...now im gonna go on google and find out :p

Flatlander
May 28th, 2007, 08:23
i ONLY bought a psp for homebrew haha.. saw flash flash revolution and was obsessed!!!

ab88
May 28th, 2007, 09:11
PSP:
i ONLY bought a psp for homebrew haha.. saw SNES emulator and was obsessed!!!

:) Edited to show why I bought mine.

I first found out by this (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2010776,00.asp) article on a magazine

SNES: Mario, DKC and KI.

PS2: GT4 and FF, great third party support comes in nicely :)

DS: Not really sure why, but right now is my favorite one.

Future: Wii, just for the fun of it. Maybe a PS3 when they are within a college student's budget :P

jamotto
May 28th, 2007, 10:30
NES: Wide selection of games.

PC: Could do programming. Great games coming out all the time. The games tended to cost less. Most of the time cheaper to upgrade PC compared with buying new console.

PSP: Needed an MP3 player. Ablility to play videos and very good selection of games was also nice. Homebrew and the chance to do some programming was icing on the cake.

Mr_Biggs
May 28th, 2007, 15:36
SNES:My parents werent big on games in 2005, because my oldest brother choked my older brother in the 80's over NES games. so when i found out i could make a SNES(my first played console) into a portable unit, i bought one and told my mom it was for my academic future. ::) The SNES was groundbreaking, it was the first console i played at neighbors' houses, Super Mario World was and still is the bomb. I have emulators for iton every piece of hardware in my house that supports them.

N64: Another console bought because it could be made portable, which was good in mommy's eyes. I bought the 64 because i saw it in EB Games for 18 bucks, with a copy of SM64 was right next to it for free when i bought the 64. it was in my house for 2 days before my mom went on a ranting fit and chopped up the AV and power cables. (good thing i have mad soldering skills and a neighbor who can hold my stuff for a while) We weren't spending enough with our parents, she said. ::) I liked the console because the controller was great for FPSes like Perfect Dark, a game which is best played on it's original console.

Playstation:By this point in time, i was wary of my parents and consoles. So, i had ben playing playstation games on my pc for the last half year of 2005, but the lousy gamepads and glitches in ePSXe really bugged me. so i talked to my neighbor, who owned 3 original ps1 consoles, and he sold me one with a controller, power cable and memcard. since i didnt get an AV cable, i got online, printed out a pinout, and hardwired a video and audio cable in(did mono, cause my stereo was in dire need of repairs at the time, so all i had for sound was the TV speaker). within 30 minutes, i was playing GTA 2. When christmas rolled around, i got a 30 dollar Visa gift card. :D blew it all on ps1 games an a memory card online at eb games.(by this time, i dug up an AV cable)

Side note:Remember the parents and hostility towards games? on christmas day, my mom lost some scrapbooking supplies, and accused my of taking them in retailiation of a previous game bashing(she purged a 12 GB hard drive i had that was full of ISOs, roms and such. big hurt on a dialup user). so she went all day screaming at me, trying to get me to tell her where it was. ive never seen the items in question, so all i can do is insist im innocent and she's loony. in the end of the day, she told me she doesnt want games in her house anymore. so i took my TV, Stereo, and consoles, and moved them into the garage. Fighting sniper wolf the last time in MGS felt authentic, since it below 30 in my garage. ::D

Sega Dreamcast:I barely remember the dreamcast from it's heyday, except for a VMU commercial. I decided to buy one when i saw an episode of "Icons" on G4 detailing it's history and sad demise. i becamed determined to find one and buy it when i found dcemu.co.uk(which was the dreamcast page in april 2006). when i learned i could run emulators, homebrew games, and backups without modification, i just had to get one. so i picked up the DC and accessories from a used book/movie/game store, for 25 dollars. they sold me a crappy memcard for 5. The first thing i played on it was HexQuake. mmm. I didnt own a commercial game until that summer, when i bought resident evil 3 and resident evil: code: veronica. the graphics of RE:CV blew me away. unfortunately, the memcard i owned was too compatible with RE:CV. so never got past disk one. but i quit caring in june, when i bought a....

Nintendo DS phat: My first and only real handheld. I became interested in it because of super mario 64, which promised Nintendo 64 style graphics. ok, so theyre on par with PS1, but still, the touch screen and microphone give new meaning to play, the innovative "non-games" such as Brain Training get your parents more interested in the whole "video machines" world, and games like Hotel Dusk keep you entertained and intrigued for quite some time.
But who cares about commercial games? I really wanted a DS because it had the same controls as a SNES, and, egad, a SNES emulator too? i gotz to have it! a month after i bought my nintendo ds, i bought a M3 SD perfect/Passkey 2 combo from divineo. to top it off, i bought a 512 MB SD card. I play a lot of backups on my DS phat, a lot of homebrew games such as quake and AmplituDS (v3 w00T!). but i love the DS because of it's media capabilities. WTF am i talking about, you say? what media capabilites, you say? that's the kicker. it has none without a flashcart. But when people see me, either holding my closed ds with headphones on, or staring at the top screen while the unit sits laptop style on a table, they get confused. but when they find that im listening to music or watching a DPG movie, they flip their lids, assuming they know about DSes beforehand. sometimes it can be fun to tell people about what you can do with a ds and FC, but it gets to be a pain in the ass when 10 seperate people ask you about it in a single day. thank god for pockets to cram the DS in so no one sees it. ;D for months this was the main attraction, until august 2006, when i bought a....

Microsoft Xbox: Thank God! yeah, i was 5 years behind, but better now than never, eh? I wanted this console because it had all my favorite FPSes that my pc couldnt run, such as DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2. the graphics and gameplay quality was amazing for a guy who was stuck with outdated game consoles and a pc that ran doom 3 at 15 frames a second. Within a few months, i owned 10 games. Things really picked up in november, when i bought a 1000 watt, 5.1 dolby digital surround sound system. after installing a coaxial digital out jack in my box, i was on a roll. the game that best shows the theater system's capabilities is Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory. voices are as loud as voices, ambient noise can be as quiet as crickets, or as loud as engine turbines. gunshots and explosions are delivered in the most base-pumping, cup your ears, true-to-life way. unfortunately, my parents could care less about anything over 100 watts. so when theyre home, i may as well give up playing if i need an action fix. but when they ain't, hoo boy.

Once i softmodded my xbox, i fell in love again with the system. NES,SNES,N64,GBA,PS1,Arcade... Quake, Doom, Duke... all in my room on my tv. i was as happy as a tornado in a trailer park. I later added a 120 GB harddisk from a dead pc, and loaded all my xbox games onto it so i wouldnt have to get off my ass to swap games out. In my opinion, a modded xbox is worth more than the 360 in it's current state.

So that's the skinny on what i own, and why. but, here's a look to the future:

Microsoft Xbox 360: Mmmm... all the goodness of the original xbox, in high def and more advanced graphics.

Quake 4, Gears of War, so many to name.
I guess am a whore, when it comes to the xbox name.

I will be working for my dad's construction company this summer, and I plan on buying an xbox 360 premium bundle, along with a 27 inch 720p set sometime later. This console had me as a solid fan since launch, when i first saw king kong runing on a demo unit. Amazing graphics, exellent choice of games, and a price that cant be beat. The PS3 is a joke in my opinion, with it's 600 dollar price tag, with the blue ray drive making up for the majority of that price. sony seems to be losing their grip in the market(well, the ps2 was crap IMO), and this may be their last console if they dont do something about this horrible price for a console with horrible games. but back to the 360. the failure rate does bother me, but i plan to test the console at the store i purchase it from. Homebrew possiblilties excite me as well, but in the meantime, i'll be using my xbox1 and the pc.

EDIT: 250th post! im a Regular!

NoQuarter
May 28th, 2007, 16:42
atari 2600: for only a $100 bucks you can play crappy ports of pacman,jk, in the eighties I just had to have one so my grandfather bought it for me for christmas.

NES: after playing SMB over my friends house I probably was a real pain for my parents for a good 6 months.That year I got a NES along with legend of zelda.

SNES: I had been renting this on weekends for a while when, I showed my dad pilotwings he went out and bought the system for me.Along with zelda :P

N64: Mario blew my mind when I saw it,first console I actually worked and spent my own money on.When Oot came out I was in heaven

Gameboy advance:Great system!! first handheld I ever had,I was addicted after that.I was leaving New Mexico to go to Virginia and needed something to do on the bus,so I picked one up and a copy of super mario advance.I've had 4 of these.

PS2: Tekken was enough reason to buy this system,Great library of games.

Gamecube:I've had 2 or three of these,Metroid was the reason I bought this system.I'm still pissed at nintendo over super mario sunshine,that game was gay.

Ds Phat:Purchased for the touchscreen and wifi I was a little dissapointed with the library for it ( that's funny now it has one of the best)

PSP:Ahh, handheld gold.Originally bought for the beautifull screen and graphics.First saw hombrew via kxploit and have been hooked,I've had about 10 of these things and currently have three of them.simply the best video game system ever( with homebrew of course) official games tend to be a little weak though,except tekken.

DS lite: eh,I like the black one

Xbox:Just didn't care about it 'till I found out you could put linux on it,we have about three of those so far...

PS3:tekken,linux,MGS4,tekken,psp connectivity,tekken,free online play,tekken,media center capabilities,tekken.

Triv1um
May 28th, 2007, 16:57
ive had too many consoles so im not going to list them all.

PS1

I was young when this was released, i wasnt really a huge Nintendo fan, so the PS1 was my choice. I had alot of good times on that baby.

Xbox

I didnt really have any reason to get this, i hated them. A few of my mates had one, so i played them in Live. Didn't like it never will.

PS2

I loved the PS1 so i nagged and nagged my mom to get me one of these babys, the first game i had for it was SSX. I still say this was one of the best consoles ive had.

PSP

At this moment my PS2 was the god of everything, a playstation portable just made me so excited, i had to get one at the release.

Xbox 360

The same as the XBOX-1st gen I didnt really want one, i dont like them, i never will. And also the same, alot of my mates had one, i played them online in some games.

Wii

Too be honest i got the Wii as a thing to tide me over for the release of the PS3. It was to fill a gap, but its a fun console to play with alot of people. Crap to play on your own. So yeah, this was a time filler

PS3

Now this is the big daddy, ive been waiting for this mofo for ages, i wouldnt call myself a fanboy but the first 2 playstations were awesome, i knew this wouldnt let me down. It didnt.

The thought of having a music/video player aswell as a obsolete console just made me laugh.

Yeah ive had many many many more than that, but thats all thats worth listing i guess.

NeoTechni
May 28th, 2007, 17:49
PSP

Advanced processing power + 1.8 gigabytes of storage meant portable games that weren't possible before. And I'm a programmer, so that kinda stuff impresses me. That's my definition of innovation
Online multiplayer day 1
First system to have wifi (it was announced to have it 6 months before the DS was announced)
Multimedia capabilities + largest screen of any portable
Announced games list had a large amount that I wanted
Huge leap over the GBA
I felt it'd be the closest to HDTV gaming I'd be able to afford for a long time.
Homebrew didn't exist when I got it (day 1) but I'd have gotten one for that as I love being able to make games for it. It's even easier than developing for GBA

PS3
I loved the way PSP turned out, especially in comparison to how poorly DS turned out. I feel PS3 will do the same. (Also a main reason I'm not getting a Wii)
Advanced processing power + 50 gigabytes of storage meant games that weren't possible before, or on 360, especially with the standard harddrive
Multimedia capabilities + HDTV support + Surround sound support
Free online multiplayer
Linux/homebrew enabled out of the box
MGS4 + FF13
Backwards compatability
A large list of announced games that I want
DVD looks like crap, wanted bluray
No territorial lockout!!!

I didn't want to wait for PS3 to use my new HDTV
Halo 3 + Fable 2 + Perfect Dark Zero

DS
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl + Zelda Phantom Hourglass
DS lite is cute
Flash carts were readily available, and that's the biggest reason I felt a DS was worth getting as most of it's games I wouldn't be willing to pay for

XBOX
Halo
Built in harddrive
Best versions of multiplatform games
Just got a new job and large first paycheck
Needed a DVD player for the Family Guy boxed sets
Perfect Dark Zero was now supposed to be on it

Gamecube
Wind Waker
Perfect Dark Zero was supposed to be on it

GBA NES SP
Damned cute
The just announced DS had no link cable port, thus making it a lot less usefull since at the time I was obsessed with Four Swords for Cube

GBA
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire + Zelda LttP remake

Dreamcast
Read an article about how you could help people in PSO, and I love to help people. I rushed out to the store to get one the next day

N64
Played Goldeneye at a friends place, and wanted it and OOT

GBC
Heard about Pokemon, and also wanted Link to the Past DX

PS2
I was waiting for a slim PS2, and it finally came out
Huge list of games I wanted

PS1
Just wanted a game system

Gamegear
I'm a collector now

Tapwave Zodiac
They are rare, and I collect rare videogame stuff
Wanted the system Nintendo copied to get the DS

robman84
May 30th, 2007, 10:01
Gameboy: Tetris and Mario. My 1991 Summer holiday was great!

Commodore CD32: I was an Amiga nut, and wanted something with a CD player. Mothballed within a few months after I bought my first PC.

Playstation: Had been a gamer for about 18 years when this came out. I waited for launch day with anticipation of arcade quality 3d in my home. Was there on launch day and took Ridge Racer home with me. I wasn't disappointed!

N64: Wanted Zelda OOT, Goldeneye and Mario 64. Fabulous games.

PSOne: Needed a power supply for a PSOne LCD screen for a PC modding project. It was cheaper to buy a second hand PSOne than to buy just the power supply!

Dreamcast: Arcade quality ports. Soooo much better than my PS at the time. Samba di Amigo still warms my heart.

2nd Dreamcast: I love it so much I wanted one upstairs too for those times when I couldn't get access to the telly!

PS2: Gran Turismo 3 (I've still only got about 8 games for it after all those years)

GBA SP: Was just about to buy a GBA with a backlight mod when the SP came out. Great move! I *needed* to have Advance Wars in my pocket for an upcoming holiday!!

Xbox: Awesome games - reminded my of the Dreamcast I suppose. Availability of great cheap games now (e.g. 4 top-rated games for 20 quid) means I have something like 30+ games for this.

NDS: Tried the DS and the PSP when they were launched. Liked the DS games better, it was cheaper, and it would run my GBA carts too (Zelda, SMW, Advance Wars)

NDS Lite: So sexy. Mario Kart had just come out and I really wanted to play two player games with my son.

GC: Bought last week. I didn't have one, and had sold my N64 to finance a DS Lite. Fancied getting Rogue Squadron 2 and Zelda WW on the cheap. Got the GC and 3 top-rated games from a games shop for 35 quid.

I am yet to make the jump to "next-gen". A lack of time to play means I still have about 6/7 Xbox games I haven't even opened yet. Also undecided about which one I will get first, as nothing I have seen has screamed "You must get this" to me.

Next purchase will be big LCD telly, so no doubt the next-gen consoles will follow soon after.