PDA

View Full Version : can i copy a partition?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 00:59
i want to copy my entire partition with windows on it from my 80 gig drive to my 250 gig drive. can i do this and still have windows run fine?

JKKDARK
May 28th, 2007, 01:13
You can't move Windows. All you can do is copy all the files to the other hard drive, but you can't move installed programs.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 01:32
theres no program that will just like clone the drive?

Xiofire
May 28th, 2007, 02:37
I think thats what JKKDARK was trying to say.
Id install a fresh version of Windows on the new Hard Drive, move all your data across, and format the old hard drive. Dont take that for certian though, Im not an expert with computers and windows installing stuff.
-Xiofire

Cap'n 1time
May 28th, 2007, 03:14
It's possible to make a clone of a HD with your windows install and what not with software like Norton Ghost... However as suggested you'd be better off doing a fresh install.

acn010
May 28th, 2007, 03:27
ill go with you.... its pretty much simple to fresh install yet i dont know about the serial key that you have to activate

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 04:09
the install disc i have that came with my computer will only install on a drive that windows is on.

Cap'n 1time
May 28th, 2007, 05:46
the install disc i have that came with my computer will only install on a drive that windows is on.

Then Norton Ghost (http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=symnahho&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=106300&Env=BASE&productID=70058000&pgm=6037100) is your best bet. There are probably freeware alternatives but non come to mind that I liked. This will install all the drivers and everything though, so to prevent problems just make sure you dont change the hardware around until after you reinstalled the disk. You can find Ghost at your nearest Best Buy or the like.

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 14:43
Then Norton Ghost (http://shop.symantecstore.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=symnahho&Locale=en_US&ThemeID=106300&Env=BASE&productID=70058000&pgm=6037100) is your best bet. There are probably freeware alternatives but non come to mind that I liked. This will install all the drivers and everything though, so to prevent problems just make sure you dont change the hardware around until after you reinstalled the disk. You can find Ghost at your nearest Best Buy or the like.

ok, thanks.

Axelius
May 28th, 2007, 20:00
I once copied a partition using the tool Acronis True Image. It worked fine. But it wasn't my windows partition, but only my F-partition...However, all programs that were installed on F worked fine after that...

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 22:37
actually, what i ended up doing was just using some software that came with my drive to copy all of the files i could. so my windows install disc thought windows was installed, so it let me install it.

lol.mad
May 28th, 2007, 22:41
why don't you just buy an external hard drive case, and pop in the 250 into the comp, and put the 80 in the case?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
May 28th, 2007, 23:28
both my drives are in my comp.