PDA

View Full Version : PSP Game Sales Slump in Japan as DS Games Soar

wraggster
June 4th, 2005, 23:57
There's no doubt who's winning the battle for game sales in Japan. In the light of a paltry selection of recent releases, the PSP can muster only 4 games in the top 50 sellers, while the DS has 6 in the top 20 alone.

The spring season is typically slow for game sales, but Nintendo seem to have got things right, releasing Nintendogs right before the golden week of national holidays in Japan.

Meanwhile the DS surged ahead of the PSP in terms of units sold.

Is the sheen coming off the PSP in its mother-country?

nexis2600
June 5th, 2005, 00:27
Give it a week. A new Falcom RPG ported to the PSP by bandai just came out plust there are quite a few kick ass games out this month in japan. All game sales right now are not really that much. So a game simply pushing 100k would get 1st easly.

Cap'n 1time
June 5th, 2005, 00:36
I love nintendo.. but nothing for the DS has impressed me thus far in the software department... what exactly does japan have for the DS that is so amazing?

shizzle
June 5th, 2005, 14:20
The psp is dear compaired to psp. I suppose all the parents are buying ds for their kids...

Cap'n 1time
June 5th, 2005, 14:51
The psp is dear compaired to psp. I suppose all the parents are buying ds for their kids...

i think your completely wrong. i think it has less to do with age groups and more to do with price and fanboyism. Nintendo is pretty much what makes japan so well known in the video game world.

shizzle
June 5th, 2005, 14:57
i hate nintendo. They can knock out the best consoles yet they can never back it up. I mean what was on gamecube.resident evil, i would like to get a revolution but i know itll only have kids games on it.

leggy
June 5th, 2005, 18:45
I think the price is the main problem the PSP has and will have when it is released here.

It is too expensive!

Vimes220
June 5th, 2005, 23:31
you could say that the PSP games are more in depth taking longer to complete so therefore you don't go through them as quickly.

You could say its the price

You could say that its the age range

hell you could say its alot of things but lets face it when it comes down to it the DS is out selling the PSP in the games section but i dont gare cos....

GT4 will be realeased soon

soj
June 6th, 2005, 02:10
Give it a week. A new Falcom RPG ported to the PSP by bandai just came out plust there are quite a few kick ass games out this month in japan. All game sales right now are not really that much. So a game simply pushing 100k would get 1st easly.

i agree, think its a bit early to gain any conclusions from the sales, the numbers wouldn't tell alot untill after most of the marquee titles have been released for the systems.

Cap'n 1time
June 6th, 2005, 03:29
i hate nintendo. They can knock out the best consoles yet they can never back it up. I mean what was on gamecube.resident evil, i would like to get a revolution but i know itll only have kids games on it.

we have been over this here on DCEMU about 1000000000000 times, and seeing that you have a history of trying to flame people new to our forum im not going to hold back much here.

Blood, guts, gore, and bad language dont make good games. Gameplay, story, and inovation does. Nintendo has tested this theory time and time again in games like: SUPER MARIO, SMASH BROTHERS, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, ETC, and even third party companies, such as Capcom produces Viewtiful Joe (Which for no reason carried a Teen rating), Megaman was never exactly the Grand Theft Auto of the day either. Calling a colorfull, inovative game for any age a KID GAME is just ignorant. If half the people would shut their mouths and play the games for a while they wouldnt have such an idiotic opinion.

check out: Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda, Wario, etc and if you dont get addicted to these games... well your opinion dosnt matter much here anymore.

Finanly, you can read in my signature that im not much of a speller, but at least I try. Perhapes you could try a little harder to type so we can read things eh?

shade
June 6th, 2005, 07:05
Its like a game of table tennis, going from one player to another. DS has some good software relesedvery close to each other like Nintendogs, Naratu 3, Gundam and Bombermen, its leads in the sales. Same thing will happen with PSP. I'm glad the competition is that close as I don't want Nintendo to get knocked out and they need some stiff competition to keep them on there feet.
Japaneese like the DS as it's something different and kind of gadgety, they like the pSP because of it's multimedia capabilities.

Nintendo for Kids? I would like to see a 7 year old kid t get all 150 stars on Mario 64DS and complete Zelda OOT. Despite what the competition say and some analylsts say Nintendo have never said that they are aiming a kids only, infact they said that they are aiming at everyone. I know more kids with playstations then nintendo consoles, infact aI know no kids with cubes, they are all adults.

ptr.exe
June 6th, 2005, 10:42

I can't believe people still try this arguement, as it's been disputed on about every forum millions of times over.

If your too ignorant to realise that 'mature' content don't make a game, then i pity your obvious insecurity about how others view you; if a games good then what does it matter what it looks like? afraid your friends are gonna laugh at you cos your games got cel-shading?

Once you get past the 'kiddie' graphics these games are amazing, although not true for all kiddie games obviously :p Games like Zelda:WW, Viewtiful Joe, ICO get ignored due to graphical style being not 'real' enough.
I play games for escapism, i don't want to do things i could do in real life, what's the point?

aseddon130
June 6th, 2005, 16:06
we have been over this here on DCEMU about 1000000000000 times, and seeing that you have a history of trying to flame people new to our forum im not going to hold back much here.

Blood, guts, gore, and bad language dont make good games. Gameplay, story, and inovation does. Nintendo has tested this theory time and time again in games like: SUPER MARIO, SMASH BROTHERS, THE LEGEND OF ZELDA, ETC, and even third party companies, such as Capcom produces Viewtiful Joe (Which for no reason carried a Teen rating), Megaman was never exactly the Grand Theft Auto of the day either. Calling a colorfull, inovative game for any age a KID GAME is just ignorant. If half the people would shut their mouths and play the games for a while they wouldnt have such an idiotic opinion.

check out: Mario Kart, The Legend of Zelda, Wario, etc and if you dont get addicted to these games... well your opinion dosnt matter much here anymore.

Finaly, you can read in my signature that im not much of a speller, but at least I try. Perhapes you could try a little harder to type so we can read things eh?

no shizzle has a good point, Nintendo have started to go downhill since the GC, the GC was awful, not graphically and the performance of the games on it, but just the overall library of the GC was bad, meaning the 'Exclusive To GameCube' games:

Metriod Prime i did not like (before you all start flaming me - i really did give the game a chance, but i didn't like it at all)
the Zelda wasn't too bad although i didn't really give it a proper chance since it didn't draw me back to it at all,
Mario Kart was crap and VERY boring, the N64 one is 100 times better,
Mario Sunshine was ok i suppose but not half as fun as Mario 64.
The only game that impressed me and had me going back for more was the Metal Gear Remake, which was fantastic ... other than that, all the games were either crap or better on the XBOX ...

the same can be said for the DS now, only one game on that is worth getting (Mario DS) and none of the others look good or appeal to me personally, I dont have Mario DS yet because A) I'm skint (lol) :p and B) i can play it on my N64 or my XBox anytime i want - the reason the DS is doing better in Japan is that they like different kinds of games to us really, they like stupid little cutesy anime-style turd and they have more games out on the DS than anywhere else in the world - games that are not out in the US and UK because it doesnt appeal to the US / UK market .... the same goes for Japan, when GTA PSP comes out, its guaranteed to be a massive hit, whereas in Japan it only appeals to a select few and won't do as well over there,

Same goes for many types of games, Japanese do not necessarily like games we do, such as Action FPS games and such, and most of us won't like most of the games that come from there!

so to close the opinion, its a simple case of 'each to their own' - everybody prefers a certain type of game, just because you do not like their preferences doesn't mean u can criticise them

PS - when i say 'you' i aint referring to u 1timeuser - im referring to any random person :D