PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: "They just don't get us!"

Triv1um
May 29th, 2007, 17:58
Via Wii UK (http://www.wii-uk.net/phpnews/news.php?action=fullnews&showcomments=1&id=561)

According to Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony simply don't understand what they're trying to do.

In what will surely prompt some kind of caustic exchange between the companies via the media, Nintendo of America's George Harrison described to Wired his views on his two competitors:

"We can already see some of the things [ Microsoft and Sony ] tried. For last year's E3, at the last minute, Sony rushed out their Sixaxis controller as an effort to respond to the Wii remote. We saw Microsoft roll out Viva Piņata as their killer app for the Pokemon set. And neither of those worked really well.

Part of this is, I think it's not in their DNA. They're really good at reaching a certain customer, and have a real difficulty understanding how we succeed with the customers that we have," said the senior vice president of marketing and communications."

Claws are well and truly out.

I particularly love the line "They're really good at reaching a certain customer." What Harrison actually means is, "They're really good at making moronic games for morons. Explosions, hookers, and baseball bats." Wonderful.

Nintendo do seem to have been rather arrogant and bullish of late - it must be the summer heat. Or the fact that, at long last, they've launched a games console that's actually exceeded their sales expectations.

DS not included, of course.

souLLy
May 29th, 2007, 18:36
Arrogant or not, I bet a massive amount of gamers would agree with them

Demolition49
May 29th, 2007, 19:26
indeed.

Shadowblind
May 29th, 2007, 19:44
Lol, hookers, bats...thats the kind of game I HATE!

Sorry, but in this regard I agree with Nintendo.

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 19:52
yep i have to agree with nintendo

Balthasar00
May 29th, 2007, 20:45
"They're really good at making moronic games for morons. Explosions, hookers, and baseball bats." Wonderful. +1

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 20:46
+1

:confused: what do you mean by "+1" ?

Shadowblind
May 29th, 2007, 20:48
I think he means "Thats a good point". I may be wrong though...

alienanthropologist
May 29th, 2007, 20:55
Nintendo aren't being arrogant at all. They are making a very good point, and even if they were arrogant about it, they would still be right.

Accordion
May 29th, 2007, 21:08
Arrogant or not, I bet a massive amount of gamers would agree with them

unfortunately so.

the trouble is nintendos market isnt gamers at all.

i also found the remark that the sixaxis failed very funny, yes it is a gimmick, but it still exists, and will remain a part of the control scheme in many games [uncharted, and ratchet for example]

i take comfort in the fact that the gimmick controller i bought gets much more use than the gimmick console.

[im really hating the Wii right now, motly because i feel nintendo conned me into buying it, so far all they have proved is that gamecube games with less buttons and motion control sell really well, unfortunately i like to have fun and experience new games that last longer than ten minutes]

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 21:31

how can you say that :mad:
nintendo has made some of the best games ever

N64 - Zelda oot
Gameboy - pokemon
GC - metriod prime
Snes - super mario world

the list goes on and on.

and you cant say people who buy the ps3 are gamers because there not who ever buys a ps3 has too much money (lucky S.O.B's) or needs a life with real people.

Triv1um
May 29th, 2007, 21:52
Woah, he is right.

Games buy PS3 or a Xbox

People who play games buy Wii.

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 22:02
Woah, he is right.

Games buy PS3 or a Xbox

People who play games buy Wii.

wrong.
why even say the word "ps3" the only 2 consoles are xbox 360 and wii the ps3 is dead no one cares about it.

alienanthropologist
May 29th, 2007, 22:14
unfortunately so.

i also found the remark that the sixaxis failed very funny, yes it is a gimmick, but it still exists, and will remain a part of the control scheme in many games [uncharted, and ratchet for example]

i take comfort in the fact that the gimmick controller i bought gets much more use than the gimmick console.

[im really hating the Wii right now, motly because i feel nintendo conned me into buying it, so far all they have proved is that gamecube games with less buttons and motion control sell really well, unfortunately i like to have fun and experience new games that last longer than ten minutes]

I love how people can't take it. I just love it. They get really angry (see above: "hate") and start kicking and screaming and saying such ludicrous things as "Nintendo's market isn't gamers" :rofl:

And to be honest, I just can't get enough. I'm looking forward to Nintendo continuing to thrash PS3 every month and these people getting really wound up about it.

Torgod13
May 29th, 2007, 23:28
Look guys.... I have been in the gaming industry for over 16 years. I have a Wii.. and the 360 and 2 of every system in the past. I love my Wii, but the system is not targeted to the "hard core" gamer.. its just that simple. Their marketing strategy.. Guys with girlfriends who want them to play.. and young kids.. in general the "casual" gamer. Nintendo even admitted that. Sure they will come out with some mature titles, but that has never been their game. It's the cute system. And that works for them. Some of us older farts want a little more UMPFF in our games and that is where Sony and Microsoft has found its hold. We are the PC crowd that wanted to play something that we are used to on our TV's. There is nothing wrong with that. Why cant We just love our games and systems? I know we tend to play favorites because the cost of the next gen systems are a "bit" (Understatement) on the high side and may make them financially impossible to own every one. But don't be a hater because you cant afford every system. Capitalism is fun 'eh kiddiies??? Lets just love our games and be happy for your friends out there that have different systems. Stop the hate and lets play some games!!! (even if they aren't HARD CORE!!!!)

Accordion
May 29th, 2007, 23:59
I love how people can't take it. I just love it. They get really angry (see above: "hate") and start kicking and screaming and saying such ludicrous things as "Nintendo's market isn't gamers" :rofl:

And to be honest, I just can't get enough. I'm looking forward to Nintendo continuing to thrash PS3 every month and these people getting really wound up about it.

blind trUly!

my opinions are not based on market share or total sales, i have a Wii and a PS3 and for me, the Wii provides nothing, the only game i actually want is resi4 which is a gamecube title. NIntendo continues to prove that reselling old software and hardware in new clothes is a great way to make loads of money...so what? i want to play great games, its that simple.

as to ps3 owners being rich and lonely, not true. i saved up for both consoles working one day a week in between my uni course, by managing my resources i can save enough for what ever i want, if someone has the means they have the right to do what they please.

maybe if there wasnt so much concentration on which company is better, then maybe we would get better products rather than consant pr crap

eatnooM
May 30th, 2007, 00:48

Being a PC gamer, I'd have to say that the only thing that annoys me about the next-gen consoles is people being *****s about it. No names mentioned, though.

ganondorf
May 30th, 2007, 00:56
look, I bet if you lock a person in a room with nothing but a wii and a game for an hour, and then unlock the door after an hour has gone by, they wouldn't come out of the room.

Shadowblind
May 30th, 2007, 01:01
Being a PC gamer, I'd have to say that the only thing that annoys me about the next-gen consoles is people being *****s about it. No names mentioned, though.

And most people seem to hate PC gaming these days. PC gaming truly gives you the most amount of control for any console. See: Keyboard.

eatnooM
May 30th, 2007, 13:15
And most people seem to hate PC gaming these days. PC gaming truly gives you the most amount of control for any console. See: Keyboard.

Exactly. Never gonna find something like jump maps on CS on a console, because you'd just fall off. =)

sappo
May 30th, 2007, 15:22
It's a little bit arrogant from Nintendo, but they're right.

I like Counterstrike, but I don't like GTA. And playing Super Paper Mario is a lot of fun :D

They're just making fun games, and games are MEANT to be that. No uber-visuals will ever make a game a good game, if it has only that.

Triv1um
May 30th, 2007, 15:27
They're just making fun games, and games are MEANT to be that. No uber-visuals will ever make a game a good game, if it has only that.

That is maybe the best post i have ever seen on this forum.

That is so true, i am a ps3 user/fan and my favorite games i have still played is earthworm jim and wonderboy III.

So true, but this is untrue for wii (i.e. crappy wiimote)

alienanthropologist
May 30th, 2007, 17:07
That is maybe the best post i have ever seen on this forum.

That is so true, i am a ps3 user/fan and my favorite games i have still played is earthworm jim and wonderboy III.

So true, but this is untrue for wii (i.e. crappy wiimote)

Yeap, Wiimotes and fun are clearly incompatible. :confused:

Accordion
May 30th, 2007, 17:16
Yeap, Wiimotes and fun

true

but only digital buttons and no second anolog stick is very outdated.

a second anolog really is needed, i didnt like zelda partly because of no camera control, and prince of persia having you twist the remote to turn the camera is just plain stupid.

Balthasar00
May 31st, 2007, 00:54
As for rpg on WII,

PS1 took brillantly the lead where snes left. Then Ps2 went also that way since few years.. I believe that it would be great if actualy, the wii could take the torch too.

A popular system, easy to work with, not too expensive to devellope on.. Visualy limited, It sound like the perfect choice! :D

rpgs = great story, well develloped characters & good musical scores.. That the essential.

All shorts of things that the wii can do.

go for it.

darkness angel 777
October 28th, 2007, 20:08
right!

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 20:15
Mostly their point is "we are trying to reach casual gamers too." Unfortunately they forgot about the hardcore gamers altogether, but....

Well, MS seems to be trying to take they advice. the whole deal about releasing more family classics, blah blah blah. Really, the XBLA has many family friendly games. Seen it, naruto...they're reaching both worlds.

C'mon Nintendo, come through for the hardcore gamers too! :(

When it comes to the Wii, FPS games simply just don't work. Parallel analog sticks is a little better, but they still feel like corn.

ICE
October 28th, 2007, 21:01
I really disagree with the statement that they've forgotten the hardcore gamers. SSBB, Mario Galaxy, Metroid.. I guess it all depends on what hardcore means to you.. I dont think hardcore means rated m. Hardcore is a game that someone who spends a lot of time gaming will love.

Ninty isnt necessarily after that twenty-something "all i wanna do is blow crap up" audience. They're after people who just want to play games. Whether you're casual about it or you want a 6 hour metroid session games are coming for you! The good thing is with so many devs moving over we might just start to see those "blow crap up" games too..

EDIT: OMG i didnt see you say FPS dont work on Wii.. Are you nuts or have you just never played metroid? Wii IR works MUCH better than IR on Metroid!!!! After playing it for 10 minutes I never wanted to touch analog ever again!

Shadowblind
October 28th, 2007, 21:39
3 games doesn't make a system hardcore. Upwards 50, do. hecks, its more hardcore then PS....wait......nvm.

I played Metroid Prime 3. While its decent with controls, games like Red steel, Far Cry and CoD3 were positively horrible.

i agree with you though on the games--- games where its all about drugs, murder and guts make me sick. You kill policemen, how in he** is that fun? Anyone explain to me how killing law enforcement brings enjoyment. I can almost guarantee your answer will be crap.

ICE
October 28th, 2007, 22:36
You have to understand one thing though. Ninty is JUST NOW gaining 3rd party support. Gamecube had literally none and this does take time. I wont lie and say that Wii's library is good now. However I will tell you that going from dead last in 3rd part support to having 50 hardcore games is a stretch. Ninty cant do this alone ya know?

Just be patient and give them the time they need. Wii is a FIRST gen console people. This is a whole new way to play and solid games will take time. Just wait until you play the upcoming games and I think people outlook for the Wii might change ;)

Junixx
October 29th, 2007, 04:18
I shall agree with the article...

pibs
October 29th, 2007, 06:32
http://grza.net/GIS/Altered%20Beast%20Rescue%20Thread.gif
this is pretty old couple months ago but still true

kurofox4444
October 31st, 2007, 03:16
I bought a Wii (and Metroid Prime: Corruption) just recently, and I really liked it. The system is extremely small and light (for modern day systems), the Wii-mote is very precise, and the family friendliness of it is a pretty good idea (me and my littler cousin played Wii-sports for hours :P). Metroid is fun too. Also, since my Game Cube broke a long time ago, it was nice to see the games i hadn't played for years. I also like Nintendo's approach of not really going with the flow of the other game companies.

But I'm a bit worried that I may have waisted my money (although better then if I wasted it on the other systems :D). There are around 1-2 other games I want, but it looks like that would be it... I know they come out with more and more games in time, and I know the games are meant to be family friendly, but it looks like the non family friendly games are completely out of the picture (and I don't mean "drug-hooker-cop-killing" games...).

Also, the Wii-mote, while allowing a lot of new possibilities, also seems to limit what can be played on the Wii. Unless the classic controller is like a normal controller (I don't have one, and I've never really seen one), I think they should make another type of controller for the games that wont really be able to use the Wii-mote/Classic/Game Cube controllers... The Wii-mote + Nunchuk (spelling?) combo worked good for Metroid, but most games don't have physics/game play like Metroid does. Metroid is more like a puzzle game compared to the normal FPS's...

(Sorry for the huge post, lol)

Cap'n 1time
October 31st, 2007, 04:40
I like nintendo for the DS. I dont really know much about the wii since I dont own one / couldnt find one on release so in order to be fair I will judge the comments of nintendo based around the handhelds.

Nintendo isnt exactly taking the "mature" (if you can call buying a game because it might have naughty language or gore in it mature.) approach with the DS, but the games are really REALLY cool... Especially when compared to the PSP's tiny library of decent at best games.

They are correct, Sony doesnt get it. in order to make a console sell you cant just throw in a few half assed "M" rated titles (and a few decent ones too) and poke fingers at the console who is more willing to produce "E" rated titles and laugh. Especially when nintendos games are just about fun and good gameplay, instead of a million ways to kill a hooker and a cop. Sony gets an "I" for immature in their poor attempt to damage nintendo by calling it a kids console and an "F" for their shitty games.

I like my 360 however. If they all took nintendos route then it wouldnt be that interesting anymore. It also doesnt seem like the 360 is really trying to rip anything off of anyone. It seems to me like they are just going about their business as usual. The Viva Piņata comment was uncalled for too. It was produced by Rare as a new IP, and only failed because of under appreciation, not so much because it was a bad game. To me, this game falls under the category of sleeper hit.