PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Slimline PSP in the works?

wraggster
May 29th, 2007, 22:05
via gamesradar (http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/game/news/article.jsp?sectionId=1006&articleId=20070529153441375095&releaseId=20060313144256984085)

One of the most recurrent industry rumours of the past few month is that Sony is readying the launch of a new, redesigned PSP. While we've already had a go at anticipating the areas Sony could be improving for a PSP 2, we're being led to believe that the updated handheld will in fact be more of a 1.5.

In fact, if we're correct, the key thing to change doesn't involve faster load times, a better screen, new analogue sticks, improved buttons or even built-in flash memory, but, rather mundanely, a slimmer casing.

Like us, you're probably wondering how Sony can make the PSP much thinner than it already is, but look what it did to the PS2. Their tech-wizards managed to cram all the chips into a casing that was a fraction of the weight and size of the original - and add a built-in Ethernet slot.

The PSP redesign might necessitate the need for a flash drive and reconsidered button placement of course, and there's always the possibility of building in add-ons like the camera attachment (released in the UK last week) and the GPS device we're promised later in the year. In fact, it's possible Sony has decided to wait to integrate this function into the new PSP rather than as an add-on. After all, even the Gizmondo managed that.

Given the Slimline PSP will still use the UMD, it's going to have to be slightly thicker than 4mm but that allows for similar dimensions to the 30 Gb video iPod's 11mm. Which is pretty sexy compared to the old PSP's bulbous 22mm. Look forward to a press release to confirm this in the near future or we'll eat our PSPs.

Shrygue
May 29th, 2007, 22:34
I wonder if this will turn out to be true or it's just another joke on us all. We'll see what happens next...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 29th, 2007, 22:58
Is news really that slow ?? this has been touted god knows how many times and if it was true they would need to make the screen smaller as well to shrink the unit.

parkermauney
May 29th, 2007, 23:09
I believed it right up until "slightly thicker than 4mm".

I can't wait til this comes out! Right along side the psp2, and the iphone nano!

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 23:35
they better not up the price just for making it look sexy :rofl:

Chalkbot
May 29th, 2007, 23:39
Soooo... When all of us PSP users were asked what we wanted most in a revised PSP, the #1 answer was "Make it thinner?"

Dang we are stupid! Why didn't anyone request L2 and R2 buttons, or an internal HDD? Perhaps a more responsive D-pad or an analogue stick that doesn't feel like it was tacked on at the last minute? A bigger battery? Faster components to reduce the load times?

I don't care if the next one is twice as thick if it has more useful hardware features.

Gold Line
May 29th, 2007, 23:49
i hope this new psp has better anlog + d-pad and whats with the stupid [] button it kinda pops out

Buddy4point0
May 30th, 2007, 00:02
yea gl ive noticed that to, i thought it was just my psp or i had something stuck in mine or something, but yea my square button doesnt push in fully on the right side. every1 else got this problem too?

emuking
May 30th, 2007, 00:18
i use to on an old psp so yeah its common

maxipower90
May 30th, 2007, 00:27
im happy with my pimped out softwre on my PSP so SONY can stick there slim line were the sun dont shine and we all no thats not a nice place

Buddy4point0
May 30th, 2007, 00:30
if a slimmer design is the only thing new, count me out. but if its got a better battery and better screen it could still be a slim line, as there are no new features really. in that case i would probably get it.
also after it comes out with its gay 4.0 firmware or whatever im sure it will be hacked twice as fast as normal becuase there will be such a large demand for it to be cracked

cnewhall
May 30th, 2007, 00:32
I wonder what kind of anti-homebrew security they will include with the base firmware they ship with...

pt9087
May 30th, 2007, 00:36
im happy with my pimped out softwre on my PSP so SONY can stick there slim line were the sun dont shine and we all no thats not a nice place

Lol nice words POWER!

I think this wont be true anyways! :cool:

Solidsnake3000
May 30th, 2007, 01:57
damn iam pissed off i mean dont they know thepsp have problems already

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 02:08
WE NEED A GOD DAMNED SECOND ANALOG STICK.

OR FOR CHRIST'S SAKE ONE ON THE RIGHT SIDE TO USE D-PAD + ANALOG!!! :mad:

Fix the functionality problems with the PSP before making it thinner, if this is even true. As has been stated before, we have had these rumors since, when, last year?

Veskgar
May 30th, 2007, 02:51
i hope this new psp has better anlog + d-pad and whats with the stupid [] button it kinda pops out

I think the SQUARE button issue is with all PSP's. What they had to do was cut a small section of where the button depresses onto the signal sensor or whatever you call it. They did this to make room for the screen. The button seems to depress at an angle tilting towards the left. It has never bothered me though.

Also, if all that is going to change is the thickness of the PSP, I don't think I'd want one. Maybe with a wider handheld it could possibly feel comfortable. But for instance, the DS Lite is a little too thin for my taste. My hand cramps up more playing the DS Lite. And I don't have large hands or anything.

A little thinner maybe OK, but if SONY goes PSP nano on us, I think it would be a little unnecessary.

Also, I bet SONY will try something tricky with the motherboard or something to make the PSP "1.5" less prone to homebrew exploits.

So this will very likely be something I pass on. But we'll see. Once I see it in person I bet I'll be more intrigued.

yoshinatsu
May 30th, 2007, 04:28
I wonder what kind of anti-homebrew security they will include with the base firmware they ship with...

No matter what Sony will invent to prevent us from homebrew, you know who'll be the one to save us, once more:thumbup:

hd_
May 30th, 2007, 05:41
Anyone that expected something extra on the psp (like controls) is a moron- what about everyone else with the old style psp? Or all the games that don't support it- do you think they will suddenly magically support it? No. They could only add things that wouldn't make futures games not work on the old psps- unless they actually go to a full update like psp 2- which will probably not happen before nintendo decides to make a move to a new hand held, or if microsoft or some other company comes out with a handheld that competes in the psps market.

jamotto
May 30th, 2007, 07:04
Anyone that expected something extra on the psp (like controls) is a moron- what about everyone else with the old style psp?

I would suspect that they would offer two layouts for controls, one for older psp's and one for newer.

Ultima Chocochu
May 30th, 2007, 07:32
Anyone that expected something extra on the psp (like controls) is a moron- what about everyone else with the old style psp? Or all the games that don't support it- do you think they will suddenly magically support it? No. They could only add things that wouldn't make futures games not work on the old psps- unless they actually go to a full update like psp 2- which will probably not happen before nintendo decides to make a move to a new hand held, or if microsoft or some other company comes out with a handheld that competes in the psps market.

Not saying they should add new buttons/controls, but remember the DS/GBA you could play older games, and the buttons really had no functions at all
So if they decided to add buttons, they would only be useless for previous games, or you could possibly set that new button to do something else

PSP2 should take forever really, they probably won't change until Nintendo does make a new handheld like you said,
I'm sure Sony want's to draw out the PSP as long as they can before making a PSP2
They kept the PSX/PS2(still is) going a long time before even making the next gen consoles.

I would suspect that they would offer two layouts for controls, one for older psp's and one for newer.

Sony may make dumb choices, but I don't expect them to do that
A waste no?
If they were to add new buttons, I'd imagine that'd be for the PSP2
They should just fix a few things bout the PSP now, I think it works fine really, just analog/directional buttons could work a little better....Okay the analog is just weird, A LOT better for that one.
XD

slik da relic
May 30th, 2007, 08:17
a second analog stik and 2 extra buttons and the psp would be the most perfect handheld... as it stands now, its still a good system... i remember bein pissed off with Sega for putting only 6 buttons for Dreamcast, after having 8 for Saturn. just foolishness. makes me think the psone emulation really WAS a last minute thought to combat homebrew... i guess we can thk all the underground programmers for that... we mightve never got the psone games if it wasnt for them.

da relic

EmO.KiD
May 30th, 2007, 14:57
Bad idea 2 slim the psp.... because when they slimed the ps2 long gaming time ended up over heating the ps2 making it dangurus 4 long time usage so yeaaaa.... id rather have a big psp that has longer game time then a slim one with half the time of play and what about the battery? less batterly life cause the battery would b smaller...

roflcopter i just OWNED chu all!!!!!!

Triv1um
May 30th, 2007, 15:03
There going to bring out a new one which is going to be locked down against homebrew.

New console = new policy.

Slypster
June 7th, 2007, 18:42
i guess it's possible if there's a slide in umd door, meaning you'd have to break the umd casing, the lcd screen would have to be thinned out alot and the motherboard would have to be crammed somehow. maybe 10mm but not 4mm

Slypster
June 7th, 2007, 18:51
Bad idea 2 slim the psp.... because when they slimed the ps2 long gaming time ended up over heating the ps2 making it dangurus 4 long time usage so yeaaaa.... id rather have a big psp that has longer game time then a slim one with half the time of play and what about the battery? less batterly life cause the battery would b smaller...

roflcopter i just OWNED chu all!!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about overheating in such a small console. and for battery life there are way smaller batteries with more life than the psp's just look at ipod

for those complaining about analogues check this

http://www.acidmods.com/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=A2D%20Board%20Soldering%20%2B%20Ass embly