PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Flash2 / Flash3

Mr. Shizzy
May 30th, 2007, 14:42
It's been long rumored that the PSP had hidden Flash2, & Flash3 memory areas.

Now PSP Dev Becus25 has proved there indeed is.
He has released a app that lets you access them on your Computer.

I have personally tested this, and it works.
Flash2 & Flash3 were empty when I looked inside them... I wonder what their purpose is ?

Anyway, here is the read me, and Toggle Flash2/3 app from becus25:

Toggle USB Flash 2/3 Special System For PSP

Here it is. With this you can acces via USB to the flash2 and 3 of your PSP.

Enjoy ! Also, you can access to MemoryStick :D
You can access to the drive on read/write files mode.

Copy the PSP folder to the root of your memory stick, then run the program.

Greetings.

-becus25

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

nielsss
May 30th, 2007, 16:35
Wow thats really cool, how much memory can they hold?

parkermauney
May 30th, 2007, 16:37
Cool! I posted a couple of days ago asking about these, I'm suprised they've just been accessed. This may end up actually being useful!

nielsss
May 30th, 2007, 16:50
just tried it and they have about 1 meg each

gymnotropic
May 30th, 2007, 17:15
flash2 - 944 KB.
flash3 - 880 KB.

Accordion
May 30th, 2007, 17:21
little warning, if using a Mac, be weary of the fat the finder saves small files everywhere you navigate, so you will be altering the flash simply by looking...

you will need to enable invisible files in order to delete them.

jak66
May 30th, 2007, 17:23
flash2 is used for ps1 emulation on non-OE firmwares. It is redirected to the keys.bin file on OE firmwares (if you open idcanager.prx from the kn folder you find text strings 'flash2:/act.dat' and also 'KEYS.BIN'.

ExcruciationX
May 30th, 2007, 17:29
Huh, I wonder what flash 3 is for...

nielsss
May 30th, 2007, 17:40
hey does that mean we can use this to store our own personal files?

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 17:47
I wouldn't store personal files in Flash2 and Flash3. Chances are they are used for something, perhaps Flash3 is used when you go into standby mode...

I wouldn't mess with them until more research is done as to what they do.

Buddy4point0
May 30th, 2007, 20:09
yea this is a great discovery, i want to know what these are used for. most likely temporary storage because everything that is apparent is already on the flash 1 and 0. hmm mabey this is where your wallpaper is saved when u set 1, or everything is remembered from sleep mode

Ultima Chocochu
May 30th, 2007, 20:14
Now I'm curious
I wonder if it'll be used for future Custom firmware releases...Cause isn't the Flash 0/1 running out of space with every new OE release?

blackrave
May 30th, 2007, 20:39
As far as I know, sleep mode saves everything in the RAM. As for the wallpaper; can't you find this in flash1 (thanks, ab88, for pointing that out =)) when you set one?

The idea to use this for custom firmwares is good, I think. But like some people say, we need to do more research on what flash2/3 are being used for.

becus25 is really good with the PSP.

IM back!
May 30th, 2007, 21:28
i wonder why sony dident start using this when thay ran out of flash0 space?

Anger
May 30th, 2007, 21:45
rofl.

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 21:51
i wonder why sony dident start using this when thay ran out of flash0 space?

Because they haven't run out of space yet. Only Custom Firmware has cause it to run out of space. I think a stock Sony flash 0 has 10 megabytes left after 3.40 update.

pt9087
May 30th, 2007, 22:03
Hmm strange, lol maybe more things will be worked of this find!

Prasoc
May 30th, 2007, 22:25
sounds cool. i really want to know what these are for. maybe a flash 4 is also there? lol

burrito
May 30th, 2007, 22:48
This is old... Booster's USB SSS can already toggle flash2/flash3 and more, and was released a few months ago.

m_d_uk
May 30th, 2007, 23:23
This is old... Booster's USB SSS can already toggle flash2/flash3 and more, and was released a few months ago.

Exactly what i was going to say! This is based on that, but allows write access...

ab88
May 30th, 2007, 23:40

Booster's USB SSS provided access to flash0, flash1, UMD0 and USB mass storage. However it did not allow access to Flash2 and Flash3. It was well known they where there. But not many had put much time into finding what they where for, or if access was possible.

As far as I know, sleep mode saves everything in the RAM. As for the wallpaper; can't you find this in flash0 when you set one?

Flash1

burrito
May 30th, 2007, 23:40
Exactly what i was going to say! This is based on that, but allows write access...
You're only an hour late. :)

Booster's USB SSS allowed access to flash0, flash1, UMD0 and USB mass storage. However it did not allow access to any of these.
Ummmmm, what? "It allowed access. However it did not allow access." ????

DarthPaul
May 30th, 2007, 23:57
Sounds like a nice find.

madcat1990
May 31st, 2007, 00:11

then if you own a mac, you now have an alternative XD (seeing that the MACos X writes files when browsing...)

Veskgar
May 31st, 2007, 00:54
Now I'm curious
I wonder if it'll be used for future Custom firmware releases...Cause isn't the Flash 0/1 running out of space with every new OE release?

What feature was REMOVED by Dark_AleX using OE custom firmware? It was the Location Free player right? I thought I remember that something had to be taken out in order to fit everything. If anyone knows what, if anything was taken out when installing OE custom firmware, I'd like to have my memory refreshed.

Thanks!

acn010
May 31st, 2007, 01:20
hmmm. very interesting indeed, i hope its something that future firmware will use... i wonder if the new slim one has more internal memory capacity.....

Sterist
May 31st, 2007, 01:34
I wouldn't store personal files in Flash2 and Flash3. Chances are they are used for something, perhaps Flash3 is used when you go into standby mode...

I wouldn't mess with them until more research is done as to what they do.

it stores everything in RAM/ms when sleeping.

"flash" storage is ment for a firmware's guts. 2 / 3 obviously havent been used yet. most likely will be next update tho, since F0 is 99.5% full w/ 3.40

psp411
May 31st, 2007, 03:07
this is cool but... im gonna wait and see what other people find out about it before i tamper with mine :D :cool:

jamotto
May 31st, 2007, 04:51
I thought flash2 was used by sony's psone emulator?

shango46
May 31st, 2007, 06:56
This is a pretty interesting find so cudos to the dev. Definitely need to look into this more. Anyone know how long they have been there?(3.10 and up?) This may be the key everyones been looking for to downgrade some of the newer firmwares (Hopefully!)

jamotto
May 31st, 2007, 07:25
Anyone know how long they have been there?(3.10 and up?)

3.00 I think.

ab88
May 31st, 2007, 07:33
Ummmmm, what? "It allowed access. However it did not allow access." ????

Oops typo, I was leaving for work. It should have been:

Booster's USB SSS provided access to flash0, flash1, UMD0 and USB mass storage. However it did not allow access to Flash2 and Flash3.

What feature was REMOVED by Dark_AleX using OE custom firmware? It was the Location Free player right? I thought I remember that something had to be taken out in order to fit everything. If anyone knows what, if anything was taken out when installing OE custom firmware, I'd like to have my memory refreshed.

Thanks!
Yup, it was the location free player. I also though about it when I read the article.

This is a pretty interesting find so cudos to the dev. Definitely need to look into this more. Anyone know how long they have been there?(3.10 and up?) This may be the key everyones been looking for to downgrade some of the newer firmwares (Hopefully!)
They have been there since the chips get loaded and partitioned at the factory (Or wherever they get programmed). It doesn't matter what firmware they carry.

psp411
May 31st, 2007, 14:32

Thanks!

yup, location free, some korean and japanese fonts... and i think there was another thing taken out but i cant remember:D :cool:

Ultima Chocochu
May 31st, 2007, 16:37

Thanks!

Well I knew they had to remove stuff in flash 0/1 to make space(I didn't think that was though cause I guess I never payed attention XD)I was just wondering if they were possibly going to use Flash 2/3 when they ran out of space on 0/1....That way they would possibly not have to remove some things.
Man I talk too much.

pt9087
June 1st, 2007, 01:03
I still belive this is for future firmwares! overflowing sizes falling onto 2/3

mymegamouth
June 1st, 2007, 17:22
are the different flashes like different partitions on one piece of memroy like partitions on your pc's hdd? if so could we alter the sizes of each flash partition?

burrito
June 2nd, 2007, 15:36
I read some posts by harleyg here (http://lan.st/showthread.php?t=1174). He says that both flash2 and flash3 are only on 3.00+ and are both used for ps1 emulation.