PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Boss Says Price, Quality Hurt PS3

Triv1um
May 30th, 2007, 15:09
Via PS3 Center (http://ps3center.net/story-540.html)

The Nintendo of America Boss George Harrison has stated that the PS3 is failing because of the price point and low quality.

Nintendo has not been all that silent in regards to their intentions this next-generation now that they have a solid lead with both the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS leading hardware sales.

Harrison had an interview with the web site Wires and stated that the Sony SIXAXIS controller as well as Viva Pinata from Microsoft were attempts to try and steal some of the market which Nintend is now enjoying with their Wii remote control as well as Animal Crossing.

He stated bluntly that "Sony rushed out their Sixaxis controller as an effort to respond to the Wii remote."

It is no secret now that it has been reported, right here at PCN, that Nintendo plans to sell 35 million Wii consoles over the next four years and control 50% of the market.

"There’s a price point and there’s the quality that’s holding the PlayStation 3 back. They’re selling so many PlayStation 2s because people are saying, ’You know what? The graphics are pretty good, the price is good, and the library is good.’ So we have a great expectation this lifecycle’s actually going to last more than five years," Harrison stated.

Harrison concluded the consumers are more satisfied with the current technology, even though the PS3 has the capability to pump out some amazing visuals.

Shadowblind
May 30th, 2007, 16:01
I see a Sony making a PS4. Well, that is if they can manage to sell enough PS2's to get the money.

And SIXAXIS=Gimmick.

DPyro
May 30th, 2007, 16:49
I see a Sony making a PS4. Well, that is if they can manage to sell enough PS2's to get the money.

And SIXAXIS=Gimmick.

Are you on crack?

Balthasar00
May 30th, 2007, 17:16
And SIXAXIS=Gimmick.

Feel the same for the wiimote.

Sure, its a classy toy.

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 17:58
Well he's got the price point on the money. But low quality? Are you shitting me?

90% of PS3 owners are still using their original launch consoles with maybe 9.9% of them having to get a new console from Sony due to manufacturing defects and .1% having to get more than one new console from Sony for the same reason.

Thats a shit load better than the 60% for the Xbox360, 20% for one console and 20% for more than one console being replaced. Some people are on their 4th and 5th consoles only a year and a half into the Xbox360's life...

I don't really see where he comes off as saying its low quality; I have dropped my PS3 from its 2ft high shelf and nothing broke and it works fine; considering the weight of the unit, if it really was low quality that fall should have destroyed it...

DPyro
May 30th, 2007, 18:40
Well the Wii is only slightly better in quality than the Xbox 360. Very cheaply made and their making a profit, go figure!

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 19:05
Yeah, I cannot imagine that they produce the Wii at a loss... It uses a 700mhz processor and its GPU is hardly worthy of the title next-gen. Seeing that the Cell costs 80 USD to produce the Wii's processor probably costs a 1 dollar to make...

Shadowblind
May 30th, 2007, 19:06
Well the Wii is only slightly better in quality than the Xbox 360. Very cheaply made and their making a profit, go figure!

Any reasoning to this?

Are you on crack?
Or this?

Are you saying the PS3 will most likely out-sell the PS2, one of the best consoles ever?

Accordion
May 30th, 2007, 19:26
the quality issue is as absurd as the mouth.

i think the ps3 is one the highest build quality machines in my house, easily in line with all my apple computers, which i beleive is a huge complement to sony.

the difference between the Wii and the PS3: both do what they do very very well, but there is simply more to do on the ps3 than the Wii.

the overheating issue of the Wii also concerns me, on standby the thing does get very hot, and even heats up the shelf it is on. nintendo even saved money on the on/off switch...there isnt one!!!

DPyro
May 30th, 2007, 19:30
the overheating issue of the Wii also concerns me, on standby the thing does get very hot, and even heats up the shelf it is on. nintendo even saved money on the on/off switch...there isnt one!!!
Precisely. I already had to get my Wii fixed because of that. Hench my other comment about it being cheap. I should also mention, the WiFi on the Wii is absolute crap. It barely works and I have the router in the next room from it.

Balthasar00
May 30th, 2007, 19:54
Quality, well.. let say they are talking about launch games. So far, theres nothing really impressing me too.

F9zDark
May 30th, 2007, 20:04
If by low quality he means games (I don't see it but ok) then yeah PS3 is a little lacking. But gaming is a totally subjective term. Someone new to the FPS genre for instance, might find COD3 or Resistance an absolute gem, worth its weight in gold.

But a long time gamer will be more critical of it. To Nintendo's credit, the majority of their target audience hasn't had their balls drop yet, so any game is new and original, regardless of whether or not it really is.

Shadowblind
May 30th, 2007, 20:04
Yeah, the same thing with the Wii. Sure it had TP, but, well it wasn't very fun to me. And Red Steel was horrible.

I don't see how lack of games would play into the PS3 or Wii's quality, though.

Accordion
May 30th, 2007, 20:12
Quality, well.. let say they are talking about launch games. So far, theres nothing really impressing me too.

even if its in regards to software... where are the wii games? its best titles are gamecube ports.

Balthasar00
May 30th, 2007, 22:33
even if its in regards to software... where are the wii games? its best titles are gamecube ports.

Agree with ya, my buddy have a Wii since end december. He bought Zelda immediately cuz I really pushed him to go this way. But since then, he told me that his Wii is just taking dust because theres no other good release yet. I am not following wii releases except for few rpgs that could really get me into it.

ICE
May 30th, 2007, 23:00
this is nothing but fanboys arguing their own side.

ps3 is too expensive for the majority and it wont sell anywhere near what the ps2 did. its titles so far are also nothing to brag about.

wii may be weaker and cheaper to make but that really doesnt mean anything. its as good as it needs to be to do what a game console should. its titles are also not great so far. every moron knows it takes a while to make good games.

you guys can continue arguing but its pointless for now. the only arguable points are obvious. nothing really to debate.

you cant even really debate whether or not the wiimote is a gimmick yet. its only been out for 6 months! wait until games like metroid and smg come out and THEN you can decide.

F9zDark
May 31st, 2007, 02:13
The debate was spurned from the fact that a Nintendo Vice President said that the PS3 is too expensive and of low quality. We are debating that, because as we all see it, the PS3 is superior in terms of quality (of the manufacture) in regards to the Wii. This point is touched upon by a Wii owner who had to have it replaced. As well, news reports of people destroying their TVs because the Wii-mote wrist strap was crap, forced Nintendo to make new, higher quality ones...

The second debate came from people thinking low quality to mean the games. To which both Wii and PS3 owners at least agreed on that both systems don't have too many high quality titles yet, which is to be expected from the launch of a console.

The point here is this, Nintendo executives shouldn't spout bullshit when their company faces the same issue (in regards to QUALITY; the price point being too expensive is an accurate observation).

It is a known fact that consoles have between a 5 and 10% hardware failure rate at launch (with Xbox360 being somewhere between 20 and 30%...) but in light of that, Nintendo's executives shouldn't slate the PS3 as a low quality system, when BOTH companies, insofar, face the same hardware failure rate.

Shadowblind
May 31st, 2007, 02:31
There is no arguing the PS3's price was a massive blow to it. Do you argue that?

DPyro
May 31st, 2007, 02:49
There is no arguing the PS3's price was a massive blow to it. Do you argue that?

I wouldn't say massive. Theres no doubt it's affecting the amount of PS3's sold, but if it was a massive blow they wouldn't be selling any.

ICE
May 31st, 2007, 03:06
as far as us members here we all understand that technically theres not much to debate besides graphics vs gameplay. if a ninty exec wants to mouth off he can but that shouldnt change the opinion of the members here.

F9zDark
May 31st, 2007, 03:08

The price is certainly hurting the console; both of my friends would like to get one, but the price isn't motivating them any to go out and get it.

I just hope Sony does the smart thing and lower the price this Christmas season when some good titles start coming down the pipe.

ICE
May 31st, 2007, 03:12
i would love to have a ps3 but i am not about to shell out that much cash for a game system. it would have to be at least $450 for me to even consider it.

Balthasar00
May 31st, 2007, 03:26
i would love to have a ps3 but i am not about to shell out that much cash for a game system. it would have to be at least $450 for me to even consider it.

As you said earlier, good games take time to show up.

Well, that exactly what makes folks hesitant to get a PS3. Things may change alot when good stuff will come out.

ICE
May 31st, 2007, 03:30
nope. i will NEVER spend $600 for a game. thats just ridiculous.

lmtlmt
May 31st, 2007, 07:34
well here the ps3 is $1000 so you shouldnt be complaining.

F9zDark
May 31st, 2007, 08:11
Its weird how the price of the PS3 magically increases as its shipped across the world... Its not like it really costs more to produce a unit for another country or continent...

Is that before or after taxes? In the US, 600 dollars is before tax. My PS3 cost me 642 dollars after tax.

lmtlmt
May 31st, 2007, 09:19
i think after tax, but AUD$1000 is still a big price hike,
USA$600 is AUD$726 so thats AUD$274 extra

F9zDark
May 31st, 2007, 17:13
i think after tax, but AUD$1000 is still a big price hike,
USA$600 is AUD$726 so thats AUD$274 extra

Damn that sucks...

Basil Zero
May 31st, 2007, 21:17
Any reasoning to this?

Or this?

Are you saying the PS3 will most likely out-sell the PS2, one of the best consoles ever?

Dont hold your breath, the Wii, Xbox360, and PS3 wont outsell PS2 anytime soon, and might not, I doubt Wii will make 35 million in a few years(Nintendo saids 4).

steve520
May 31st, 2007, 22:46
Dang I Just wish nintendo and sony could fuse together so then we can do $600-$250 then it can be $350 and we would have some kick ass systems

ICE
May 31st, 2007, 22:49
the ps2 was a great game system on top of being the cheapest dvd player on the market. combine that with the fact that people actually wanted dvd's and you'll see why it sold so well.

if you think that the wii's future doesnt look so good then what are you saying about ps3 and 360? its trouncing both of them ..

i guess the video game market is just going down.. lol

F9zDark
June 1st, 2007, 01:24
Xbox360 hasn't lost yet to the Wii. Guaranteed, when Halo 3 comes out, Microsoft will probably sell a million Xboxs that week alone.

ICE
June 1st, 2007, 01:30
fo sho lol.

dont forget about SSBB, MP3 and SMG for the wii ;)

oh and BWii!!