PDA

View Full Version : new cables available for MapThis!

deniska
May 30th, 2007, 18:43
[06/06/2007] GHPSP Cable review:

I finally got my hands on the GHPSP cable and spent some time testing it.
As it's moby competitor, it features solid factory build - everything is sealed in robust plasic, connectors fit well, all contacts are gold-plated, etc.

GHPSP cable scores extra points though:
- It's thinner and softer than the Moby cable.
- It has audio pass-through connector, so one can plug in headphones, car stereo, etc. This is a nice feature, considering that sound support slowly but surely makes it in to MapThis. Also, with programs like IRShell, one can multitask MapThis with mp3 player and listen to music while keeping eye on the map.
BTW, shipping only took a couple of days.. So if you consider using MapThis! with Holux receivers this cable is probably your best solution to the date.

PC-mobile just anounced availablity of new GPS cables, specifically designed for mapThis! map viewer.
The cables and some additional info are available @
http://pc-mobile.net/pspgps.htm

GHPSP - Holux GPSlim 236/240 cable for PSP
One piece non-interchangebale cable, with 3.5mm stereo headphone jack passthrough
Cable length: 120cm $ 16.50
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/ghpsp.jpg

GPSP - Interface for our GPS cables
with headphone passthrough so you can connect headphone or route the sound to external speakers of hi-fi.
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/gpsp.jpg

The second cable provides a way to connect PSP with other GPS devises like Garmin E-type, R-type; Magellan Meridian/SporTrak GPS; Garmin Rino 110, 120, 130 and many others.

Please note that so far only the GHPSP cable has been officially confirmed to work with MapThis. MapThis! compatibility with other devices mentioned above is still under question.

Milotisx
May 30th, 2007, 19:06
This is cool... FIRST POST!!! sorry i had to do it

pt9087
May 30th, 2007, 21:56
^^ FP n00by talk!

Wow new cables! great :thumbup:

mavsman4457
May 30th, 2007, 22:12
This is awesome. I might actually get a GPS now. This would be great.

Emeriastone
May 30th, 2007, 22:16
Making these cables cheap and easily accessible will surely increase the popularity and usage of MapThis! Great news for PSP owners!

blaz3d
May 31st, 2007, 00:07
sods law, i just ordered the psp 290 gps off ebay, eh well

-=me=-
May 31st, 2007, 01:01
Doesn't the psp gps work with mapthis? If so, wouldn't it be a cheaper, and easier method?
This is good, though

watupgroupie
May 31st, 2007, 02:50
I thought this was interesting because mapthis is homebrew and that someone would actually develop something for it is pretty cool. Although like -=me=- said the psp gps is probably better idea than this.

outsider
May 31st, 2007, 04:29
awesome they used my tutorial :D

pibs
May 31st, 2007, 04:46
yeah but this coulda been a bigger hit a year ago when the pspgps hadnt been released yet.

all good though cuz u dont have to tear apart your psp earphones anymore.

deniska
May 31st, 2007, 05:52
Doesn't the psp gps work with mapthis? If so, wouldn't it be a cheaper, and easier method?
This is good, though
PSP-290 gps unit has it's own limitations - alot of users complain about the sensitivity of the unit and it's questionable performance...
Generic gps units like holux236-240 seem to have better sensitivity and more options (like pairing with any bluetooth devices, etc)

lewbacca
May 31st, 2007, 16:09
sony should start seeing, homebrew keeps the psp alive.. even manufacturers are supporting it...

hello all btw :))

how you been doin?

An0nJ0hn
June 1st, 2007, 00:28
sony should start seeing, homebrew keeps the psp alive.. even manufacturers are supporting it...

hello all btw :))

how you been doin?

Hello, and good point. If not for people like Deniska, Raf and Ahman I would have gotten rid of my PSP a long time ago and I certainly would not have bought a second one.

On topic: This is excellent news!! Deniska, you should be getting a cut on these cables. Congrats on being the first homebrewer (that I've noticed) to provide work for people directly due to your free software. That is an accomplishment.

Milotisx
June 1st, 2007, 00:42
[QUOTE=pt9087;442907]^^ FP n00by talk! /QUOTE] your wordshurt my very inner soul. :( but now i gotta get some more headphone cable i might get theese

pt9087
June 1st, 2007, 01:00
^^ Learn to Quote! edit you post btw!

Russoxley187
June 13th, 2007, 23:36
I just ordered mine...
how long does it take?

zsc
June 19th, 2007, 02:00
website said it doesnt have the 1K resistor, will that cause a problem?

I figured the 1K resistor is used as a mean to prevent current surge for either the PSP or the GPS unit.

Is the protection already built into the Holux 240 or PSP? is that why it was decided to leave the resistor out? or was it just to cut cost?

deniska
June 19th, 2007, 06:05
website said it doesnt have the 1K resistor, will that cause a problem?

I figured the 1K resistor is used as a mean to prevent current surge for either the PSP or the GPS unit.

Is the protection already built into the Holux 240 or PSP? is that why it was decided to leave the resistor out? or was it just to cut cost?
Probably not. The difference in voltage is not enough to harm neither PSP nor GPS unit.
So far I did not hear about any problems because of this...

Codaz
June 19th, 2007, 17:10
Is there already a better tutorial onto making your own extension cable for PSP-290 because i didn't understand the last one.

Art
July 25th, 2007, 03:24
Has anyone tested if the transmit line is also wired through
to the GPS plug?
.. in case one wanted to use a PSP brew to configure
or reconfigure the GPS unit?
It might work with a 3.3Volt model GPS, and could definately do no harm to either the PSP or GPS in cases
where it didn't work.

Would someone with a continuity tester and custom cable pls check this out.

I'll bet it's also possible to use the PSP standby line (green wire) to wake the PSP from suspend as soon as any powered GPS is plugged in.

edwin290
August 14th, 2007, 23:19
so with this cable
i just plugged this to my gps without me having to do any cutting/welding?

lofarkas
August 15th, 2007, 12:55
Yes it will work w/o DIY activity (you could encounter software/gps to psp communication problems tho... w/ a tried and tested gps receiver these are unlikely)

As to shipping, I got mine within a week (shipped to EU)

PROMINATOR
August 22nd, 2007, 23:41
we need a better tutorial on how to make a cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Russoxley187
August 23rd, 2007, 01:29
it is soooo easy....
If you cant follow the tutorial just order a cable from china..
I did both...
Made one a year ago and then just ordered a premade cable because it looked better...

driftprince86
September 2nd, 2007, 18:10
I'm having a problem trying to order the cables for the GPSlim 236 on their site. The link I click on to buy it, takes long to load. Couple of other links on that site loads, but some doesn't load. I know it's not my internet connection, it's there site.

PDG
November 15th, 2007, 08:30
so with this cable
i just plugged this to my gps without me having to do any cutting/welding?

Welding a PSP would render it useless with no doubt :)
Soldering is mouch safer :thumbup:

I kid.. i kid.. :)

The ready made cables are really good ;)
And if you want to make your own cable just follow the instructions.