PDA

View Full Version : UK Charts: Mario Fails to Score

kcajblue
May 31st, 2007, 00:44
via IGN (http://ds.ign.com/articles/792/792621p1.html),

Once again proving that there's very little justice in the world of videogame sales, the brilliant sort-of footie fest Mario Strikers: Charged Football, has been bested by a mighty tide of movie tie-in mediocrity.

You see, Activision's Spider-Man 3 has managed to ensnare the number one position for the fourth week in a row. While, creeping up in second place, is the awfully average Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, which launched on every format possible last Friday.

At number three in the charts then is Mario Strikers: Charged Football, which we guess hasn't performed that badly considering it was only released on one console - unlike both Spider-Man 3 and Pirates.

Meanwhile, the rest of the top ten features the same familiar faces from last week. So, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars moves down from two to four and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 drop the ball, falling from three to five.

At the lower end of the chart, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles moves up from 11 to six, Sims 2: Pets sniffs its way from 13 to seven and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion suffers a critical blow, meaning a drop two places to eight. Elsewhere, FIFA 07 shoots its way to the ninth place compared to last week's 23 and Final Fantasy III plummets five places to 10.

For this week's official Chart Track UK full-price videogames top twenty run-down, cast your eyes below.

UK ALL-FORMAT FULL-PRICE TOP 20, WEEK ENDING MAY 26

1 SPIDER-MAN 3 (X360, PS3, WII, DS, PSP, PS2, GBA, PC)
2. PIRATES OF THE CAR.: AT WORLD'S END (X360, PS3, WII, DS, PS2, PC, PSP)
3. MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED FOOTBALL (WII)
4. COMMAND & CONQUER: TIBERIUM WARS (PC, X360)
5. TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 07 (X360, PS3, PS2, PSP, XB, WII, GC, PC)
6. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (GC, DS, GBA, PS2, PC, X360, PSP)
7. SIMS 2: PETS (GC, PC, PS2, DS, GBA, PSP, WII)
8. THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION (X360, PS3, PC)
9. FIFA 07 (X360, PS2, PSP, XB, DS, GBA, GC, PC)
10. FINAL FANTASY III (DS)
11. PONY FRIENDS (DS)
12. NEED FOR SPEED: CARBON (X360, XB, PS2, PSP, DS, GBA, GC, WII)
13. VIRTUA TENNIS 3 (PS3, X360, PC, PSP)
14. SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS (WII)
15. NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. (DS)
16. POKEMON RANGER (DS)
17. GUITAR HERO II (X360, PS2)
18. CRACKDOWN (X360)
19. BUZZ!: THE MEGA QUIZ (PS2)
20. GOD OF WAR II (PS2)

Triv1um
May 31st, 2007, 10:44
spiderman sucks so badly man, I can't believe its sold so well to be honest.

and how the hell could the sims sell better than oblivion. Madness.

Demolition49
May 31st, 2007, 17:10
Well strikers did well in my opinion i mean its only on one console.

omonoia^laos
May 31st, 2007, 20:07
spider man 3 and nfs carbon the best

Christuserloeser
May 31st, 2007, 20:15
1 SPIDER-MAN 3 (X360, PS3, WII, DS, PSP, PS2, GBA, PC)
2. PIRATES OF THE CAR.: AT WORLD'S END (X360, PS3, WII, DS, PS2, PC, PSP)
3. MARIO STRIKERS: CHARGED FOOTBALL (WII)

Twelvethousand systems together beat the Wii ? WTF is this !? This gotta be the worst chart I've ever seen. ^^

Dogmatic1
June 1st, 2007, 00:32
Spider-Man 3 (it's not an awful game... but I wouldn't pay £30 for it), and PotC (I can play this for free, and yet I chose not to even try it!) may be rocking the top spot this week... but just look at #11: New Super Mario Brothers still lingering around the top ten.... even though it was released 7 months ago!

It's like the music chart; the talentless tarts might get all the number one spots for a week... but it takes something really special to enter at #32, and then climb the charts and take 12 months before finally dropping out.

It's all about cumulative sales: what good is a million copies a year run-rate if the rate only runs for a week?

stedaman
June 1st, 2007, 17:25
As others have picked up on, the top two games are on all every gaming format while Strikers only on the wii. It has sold alot of copies and will continue to do so. Ive avoided Spiderman 3 at all costs, however I rather like pirates of the carribean : at worlds end.

Hungry Horace
June 1st, 2007, 20:55
because the world REALLY needs more crappy mario-branded games.

the sales it has achieved are hardly surprisng. most of the people who own a wii probably rushed out to by it because it said "mario" on the box.

fuch
June 1st, 2007, 23:04
Hungry Horace, have you played it?

Didn't think so.

kcajblue
June 2nd, 2007, 00:04
which mario game are you talking about?

Hungry Horace
June 4th, 2007, 17:52
Hungry Horace, have you played it?

Didn't think so.

nope and i dont want to!

which mario game are you talking about?

any. they all suck... being designed as they are for persons with the intellectual capacity of a field-mouse.

man i love winding up mario fans... they take criticism of their "baby" so badly. :rofl:

Baboon
June 5th, 2007, 08:57
any. they all suck... being designed as they are for persons with the intellectual capacity of a field-mouse.

I dont know what youve been smoking horrace but how can you seriously say that all mario games suck? lol

Mariokart on the snes is quite simply the best game ever! :)

I know your an old skool Amiga lover (much like myself) but the closest thing the Amiga had to supermario was the Great Giana Sisters! lol

Hungry Horace
June 8th, 2007, 12:02
I dont know what youve been smoking horrace

why do people always say that? not been smoking anything, i just have an opinion and wont hide it.

but how can you seriously say that all mario games suck? lol[

easily.... here i go again ;) all mario games suck.

Mariokart on the snes is quite simply the best game ever! :)

it's probably the best mario game, but its average at best. It's hardly an OutRun, ChaseHQ or Lotus Esprit. - it's only saving grace being it's Multiplayer mode... all the extra gubbins i find kinda irriating.

I know your an old skool Amiga lover (much like myself) but the closest thing the Amiga had to supermario was the Great Giana Sisters! lol

Great giana Sisters - my least favourite amiga platform game - becasue, as you say, its a piss-poor clone of an already crap game.

i'd rather play a decent platformer which is nothing like mario.

oh, and you forgot XTR on amiga... it's basically Mario Kart.