PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Advertisement too violent

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 16:33
via My Broadband (http://mybroadband.co.za/nephp/?m=show&id=6603)

A recent advertisement depicting a seriously hurt man fighting over a Playstation 3 gaming console was deemed too violent for public consumption.

The Musica Playstation 3 advertisement depicts a man with a black eye, scratches, stitches and stab wounds. The words: “STOCKS ARE LIMITED. THINGS COULD GET UGLY” appear at the top of the advertisement.

Philippa Judith Maartens complained to the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa (ASA), saying that the advertisement is irresponsible and offensive as it encourages crime and violence.

New Clicks Holdings Limited, trading as Musica, said that they will not use this advertisement again in future.

This agreement was accepted by the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa, with the agreement that it is withdrawn with immediate effect.

Shadowblind
June 1st, 2007, 16:35
Well, I suppose its better then chopping the head off a goat, not by much....

Accordion
June 1st, 2007, 16:51
Well, I suppose its better then chopping the head off a goat, not by much....

who chopped the head off a goat?

Shadowblind
June 1st, 2007, 17:07
God of War II advertising campaign.

Accordion
June 1st, 2007, 17:16
you are misinformed

Shadowblind
June 1st, 2007, 17:19
you are misinformed

Zat so?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61463&highlight=goat

DPyro
June 1st, 2007, 17:20
They goat a goat from a butcher, big whoop.

VFerg
June 1st, 2007, 21:05
I wish I could see the video. Sounds funny. They are really not thinking though are they? Why would they show a video of something that shows what really happened at the release day of the ps3 in america? Wouldnt that be a bad thing? A bunch of people did get seriously hurt over the whole thing and only because of that would I think you might want to avoid that subject... oh well guess sony knows best hehe. I have no objection of the video being voilent and think that it makes no sense to stop a commercial for that reason.

PLZKLLME0080
June 1st, 2007, 21:22
hrm... doesnt seem too violent to me...

F9zDark
June 1st, 2007, 21:52
Zat so?

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61463&highlight=goat

As $n!pR said, the goat was purchased from a butcher; therefore, party or not, the goat was slaughtered for food. Get your facts straight before spouting anti-Sony remarks.

And besides, the party wasn't even managed by Sony. Sony were the hosts, but they hired a Greek party company to handle the event and it was in Greece. The only people bitching about it are those who have no idea what Greek culture is like... (in other words, the US and UK)

alucard001
June 2nd, 2007, 01:42
hahahaha, stupid peta just give up

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 02:17
As $n!pR said, the goat was purchased from a butcher; therefore, party or not, the goat was slaughtered for food. Get your facts straight before spouting anti-Sony remarks.

And besides, the party wasn't even managed by Sony. Sony were the hosts, but they hired a Greek party company to handle the event and it was in Greece. The only people bitching about it are those who have no idea what Greek culture is like... (in other words, the US and UK)

What butcher, Sony Interactive? Its a bloody mess. Its to symbolize gore. the murdering of creatures. Only fanboys can agree with that.

^again, was any of that in english?

F9zDark
June 2nd, 2007, 02:24
What butcher, Sony Interactive? Its a bloody mess. Its to symbolize gore. the murdering of creatures. Only fanboys can agree with that.

^again, was any of that in english?

It seems you don't know what a butcher is, thats ok, from your rhetoric I can surmise that you are a vegan, so I will get you the definition of butcher, as it means in this scenario:

Main Entry: 1butch·er
Pronunciation: 'bu-ch&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English bocher, from Anglo-French, from buc he-goat, probably of Celtic origin; akin to Middle Irish bocc he-goat -- more at BUCK
1 a : a person who slaughters animals or dresses their flesh b : a dealer in meat
-Courtesy of www.m-w.com

About your second point, I hope you are not questioning my mastery of English, because if you are, I think you should pick up Hooked On Phonics where you last left off; it seems that you are getting a little rusty.

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 02:47
Yeah I guess I am. Still I dont plan on eating an uncooked goat with meat in its stomache which is apparently moral in your eyes. Then again, that goes back to the last line of my statement.

Oh, and by the way: Greeks cook their food first.

alucard001
June 2nd, 2007, 02:53
Yeah I guess I am. Still I dont plan on eating an uncooked goat with meat in its stomache which is apparently moral in your eyes. Then again, that goes back to the last line of my statement.

Oh, and by the way: Greeks cook their food first.

no they dont hahahaha jk

lmtlmt
June 2nd, 2007, 03:18
they didnt eat the goat, they ate oafle out of its stomach, it was probably a synthetic stomach too otherwise people would have gotten sick.

F9zDark
June 2nd, 2007, 03:36
Still I dont plan on eating an uncooked goat with meat in its stomache which is apparently moral in your eyes. Then again, that goes back to the last line of my statement.

Its not moral in my eyes (eating uncooked food from an animal's uncooked stomach). I wouldn't have eaten the food there, but my argument was more in regards to the goat being there at all.

Then again its also a matter of tolerance. If this is indeed part of Grecian culture (I assuming so.) then who am I to question them about it? There are far more pressing issues of culture that need to be addressed (female circumcision, for instance) more immediately than this.

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 03:44
the issue is that they were going to use footage of a goat being decapitated! not what they were going to do with the goat afterwards.

i have no issue with killing a goat for food. i do however, have no interest in letting people try and show me the goat dieing in a commercial.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 03:57
ooh, ooh! I have an idea! Let's attack Steven Spielberg and Jurassic Park for throwing a goat leg on the hood of the car!

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 04:05
I never knew Jurassic Park was a marketing campaign. Especially for a video game. And wasn't that rated R, where as the main population of video gamers are still minors? And as far as i know they didn't eat out of it, nor do I remember anything like that using a REAL goats leg, or decapitating an animal for a commercial. Do you?

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:10
ooh, ooh! I have an idea! Let's attack Steven Spielberg and Jurassic Park for throwing a goat leg on the hood of the car!

hahaha that was a movie silly :rolleyes:
you have to pay to see those..
we're talking about an ad that would randomly appear and you really dont get to decide when.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 04:10
I'm just commenting on ridiculous banter between fanboys.... I don't mean to take you down a notch but in the US Jurassic Park was rated PG-13, and I'm not sure where your getting your data, but the average video game audience lies in 15 to 30-year-olds. of course I may be wrong...

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 04:12
aye, fanboys ya say? :rofl:

So, your saying you support killing and eating out of a freshly decapitated goat? :)

Hmmm....I just thought of something...

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:14
I'm just commenting on ridiculous banter between fanboys.... I don't mean to take you down a notch but in the US Jurassic Park was rated PG-13, and I'm not sure where your getting your data, but the average video game audience lies in 15 to 30-year-olds. of course I may be wrong...

is going to see a movie still a choice? pretty sure it is.

i really dont see how this is even videogame related.. its not about sony vs ninty. its about what they tried to force on us as an ad.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 04:17
No, but rather, I'm an outsider looking in... I don't support death of animals for marketing purposes, atleast not on television or public, but it seems alright for the party they were hosting. QUESTION: where was the ad run anyway (or going to run)?

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 04:19
Sickening images of the party have appeared in the company’s official PlayStation magazine –

Well....yeah.

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:19
i was under the impression it was going to be an ad campaign. i may be wrong though.

even if it was just a one time thing at a party(lol) thats still ridiculous.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 04:23
uhhh.... May I use your own words against you? but, people subscribe to magazines... do they not? I dunno it just seems like everything is violent anyways. so yeah.

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:28
uhhh.... May I use your own words against you? but, people subscribe to magazines... do they not? I dunno it just seems like everything is violent anyways. so yeah.

so your saying that if i subscribed to that magazine and happen to turn to page whatever and happen to be greeted by a headless goat then thats fine?

people order GAME magazines for GAME news! NOT GRAPHIC IMAGES OF HEADLESS GOATS.

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 04:31
I used to the NPower back when. If I still got it, I would MUCH rather not like to turn the page and see a picture of people eating out of a decapitated goats stomache. Really, I got that kind of gaming magazine to see the GAMES. Not headless mammals.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 04:34
But it's video games! I mean I love gaming as much as anyone, but you'll always run across something with video games, or anything really. Haven't you ever been driving down the freeway and are greeted by a dead body on the side of the road covered with a blanket?
Also we're just playing a disproving game, whoever can disprove who wins! yay!

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:41
But it's video games! I mean I love gaming as much as anyone, but you'll always run across something with video games, or anything really. Haven't you ever been driving down the freeway and are greeted by a dead body on the side of the road covered with a blanket?
Also we're just playing a disproving game, whoever can disprove who wins! yay!

youve apparently missed a point here. ITS NOT VIDEO GAMES. ITS AN AD.

if you purchase a game that contains mutilating animals great. you bought it. it says "rated M" on the cover.

a game magazine however, should not contain this material.

17 -up for a rated M game. a game magazine that ISNT rated M SHOULDNT CONTAIN MATERIAL THAT IS.

a dead guy on the side of the road is not in a controlled environment. an ad in a magazine is.

VexnadFett
June 2nd, 2007, 04:47
yay! You won the Grand Prize! A crusty forum sock! no, but very good argument ^_________^

Shadowblind
June 2nd, 2007, 04:52
See, this is what I like about DCEmu: people arguing actually have reason. Go to Maxconsole and say "$600 is too much" and you practically get banned. I'd know...

And there are alotta Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys who don't know a single thing about the console, yet they scream at ANYONE trying to say something else. You never find that at DCEmu :)

ICE
June 2nd, 2007, 04:56
i think that the locked thread rate will increase now that our friendly arguments will be in off topic.

i dont think that we'll see more bans though. we dont see many of those round these parts.

Accordion
June 2nd, 2007, 05:33
your all crazy!

it was a press event for over eighteens and for those of you in more restrictive parts of the world, in europe eighteen is the last age restriction you come you.
maybe it was put in a magazine with distaste, but that isnt sony.
there were no minors involved, there was no eating from raw goat. and more importantly none of it was forced on those that attended, and it was invite only.
go here to see what really happened
http://pspupdates.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=91698

if you still have a problem then your an idiot. sorry

now back on topic, this thread is about an advert.

F9zDark
June 4th, 2007, 01:37
When I look at this, I see two main issues (from the general public) about the event:

-People eating food from a headless goat's stomach
-Headless goat being there

Eating food is a personal choice, and they undoubtedly had other food there to eat, without having to stick one's hand into the corpse of a goat.

The second fact should be a non-point. Hollywood uses animal bodies for many, many things. Police Academies, Weapon's Labs, Ballistic Testing Labs all use animal bodies as well (mainly pig bodies, as they simulate a human body very well when shot).

The goat was NOT decapitated on film or at the event. That would be truly heinous and I could never agree with that. But the goat was already slaughtered and readied for consumption by a butcher.

Just because us here in the states are sheltered doesn't mean other countries or other people are. For instance, most of Europe the drinking and smoking ages are 16 years old, and in most of the countries those laws are hardly enforced.

ICE
June 4th, 2007, 02:17
photos of a headless goat being eaten out of appeared in a magazine for video games. the magazine had no warnings saying "mature content" or anything. thats the issue.

i can not believe that anyone is defending this. THEY PUT MATURE CONTENT IN A NON MATURE MAGAZINE. THATS THE ISSUE.

this is not about ninty v sony!! its about censorship and the lack of it.

F9zDark
June 4th, 2007, 07:11
How is it mature? Please answer this. What basis is there for this? There is no age restriction to working in a slaughter house, save for using the POWER EQUIPMENT.

I went fishing with my father at the age of 6 and never was there a cop or any government figure asking me for ID. Children go hunting with their fathers all the time without being carded. So please tell me how its mature.

If they were showing dead humans, thats a different story. But even dead animals appear in movies that are rated PG, and death is hinted at in even some G movies. So where do you get the notion that a dead animal is mature content, because as far as I am concerned, its not.

Accordion
June 4th, 2007, 08:17
the blinkers must be strong willed

again there was NO eating from goats stomach, which isnt even that big a deal. further to the point, there are 4 butchers shops on my local high street, all four have dead animals up in display. the real situation here is that too many people are un educated and cant understand where food comes from.

oh, and once again all this nonsense is very off topic!