PDA

View Full Version : HBASP: Homebrewers Against Software Piracy

TeenDev
June 1st, 2007, 22:56
Nintendo’s image of Homebrewers is this: Software Pirates. Even when a lot of us are not pirates. We need to let them rethink their image of us. We need to put an end to software piracy! Sure, most flashcarts are made to play romz and if you took those devices away we would have really only three ways to play homebrew. We need to ask the companies to stop supporting piracy. So far the only one close to stopping support piracy is SuperCard as they ask to ‘Only play Freeware & Personal Backups’. That is not enough though. Nintendo will just keep building up security to prevent roms from being played. This will also prevent good wholesome Homebrew. Homebrewers should not be punished for criminal’s mistakes. Just like people are not

punished if someone around them commits a crime. Something must be done about this or homebrew could end up being a thing of the past.

Sign this: http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/hbaspantipirate

Please support this and post this photo on your site:

VampDude
June 1st, 2007, 23:08
Companies make items to make money, they don't care what the user does with their product. Whether the user wants to play homebrew or play copied commercial games, to be honest it's no big deal!

ICE
June 1st, 2007, 23:11
hey vamp. your GREY! on my wii i mean ..

oh and also BOO PIRATES!

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 23:12
The image is totally retarded. You need to dump the games and then get the images/roms to run the games on emulators.

TeenDev
June 1st, 2007, 23:24
who gives a shit about emus?

Cloudhunter
June 1st, 2007, 23:32
Lots of people perhaps?

Cloudy

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 23:38

Are you joking? Or do you have a problem in your mind? This site is about homebrew emulators and games

VampDude
June 1st, 2007, 23:38
hey vamp. your GREY! on my wii i mean ..

oh and also BOO PIRATES!

I'll go downstairs and do something on my Wii, I think I need to accept you or add you or something???

TeenDev
June 1st, 2007, 23:41
1). JKK: I care more about actual hardware then emus
2). Stop spamming my thread ICEman and Vamp... this isn't junk. I'll set Kaiser on you.

JKKDARK
June 1st, 2007, 23:52
1). JKK: I care more about actual hardware then emus.

Then what's the point of your petition? You cannot be called 'homebrewer' if you don't like homebrew emulators

steve520
June 1st, 2007, 23:54
yeah teendev emulators kick ass

mesosade
June 1st, 2007, 23:55

LMAO! READ DE SINE PL0X VE MANZ SES SO :D

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 00:00
Then what's the point of your petition? You cannot be called 'homebrewer' if you don't like homebrew emulators

JKK has a point there!

TeenDev
June 2nd, 2007, 00:43
would rather play the real hardware at full speed! Frankly the DS doesn't have the greatest emus... and emulators premote piracy! this thread is about anti-piracy! Not about flaming me becuase
1). Junk is gone
2). you hate my opinon!

If you don'y have anything useful to contribute then please, for the love of the forum rules, don't post. I have had wnough of the shit on this forum. Nobody takes things seriously. Piracy is a serious matter that needs to be addressed! If there is anymore spam or flaming I will report this to a mod/admin!

SnesR0X
June 2nd, 2007, 07:56
TeenDev you have a lot to learn about the homebrew community

Shiesty
June 2nd, 2007, 08:32
there are so many holes in this argument or whatever it is

if you own a psp you definately played some gba games on it that you dont own or other games currently available for purchase at local retailers

sure piracy may be bad if you got morals but i like free stuff

good luck tho dude, anyone who helps you tho will almost definitely be supporting the very thing you are trying to shut down in one way or another

mesosade
June 2nd, 2007, 11:10
Emulators aren't stealing. piracy is O_o

yaustar
June 2nd, 2007, 13:35
If you want wholesome homebrew with no limits then get a GP2X.

Companies like Nintendo and Sony get license money for every game that is sold on the console so if someone just buys the console but no games, they lose money. The piracy angle is to stop them looking like the bad party in mainstream press.

Vampbri-n
June 2nd, 2007, 13:43
would rather play the real hardware at full speed! Frankly the DS doesn't have the greatest emus... and emulators premote piracy! this thread is about anti-piracy! Not about flaming me becuase
1). Junk is gone
2). you hate my opinon!

If you don'y have anything useful to contribute then please, for the love of the forum rules, don't post. I have had wnough of the shit on this forum. Nobody takes things seriously. Piracy is a serious matter that needs to be addressed! If there is anymore spam or flaming I will report this to a mod/admin!

it won't be gone untill tommorow:thumbup:

TeenDev
June 2nd, 2007, 14:31
good ridance....

SnesROX: stfu... I know more about DS Homebrew than you PSP people.

Vampbri-n
June 2nd, 2007, 14:35
silly mortals lol

VampDude
June 2nd, 2007, 14:51
Emulators aren't stealing. piracy is O_o

Emulators aren't stealing, but the games played on those emulators are often stolen unless you own or have previously owned the original game...

...So within most/all emulators becomes piracy, because I doubt that the 8 year old kid (an example) that has every NES/SNES/MegaDrive/GB/GBA game emulated even has every game - Therefore that 8 year old kid is a theif and a pirate

EMULATORS = STEALING = PIRACY

Vampbri-n
June 2nd, 2007, 15:44
i agree

Veskgar
June 2nd, 2007, 16:39
Nintendo will just keep building up security to prevent roms from being played. This will also prevent good wholesome Homebrew.

What has Nintendo done to "build up" security? I had thought all DS "game backups" worked. I have never experimented with DS Homebrew yet but I had thought that Nintendo wasn't doing anything like what SONY does with firmware updates, security patches, etc. etc.

Anyway, even though I don't really see an issue with playing ROMS and stuff, I still buy the games I like because I like collecting and having all of the packaging. The game cartridge, manual, case, etc.

Nintendo is seeing record numbers in profits and sales primarily due to the DS Lite. I think if a few people are playing around with homebrew, they don't give a damn.

watupgroupie
June 2nd, 2007, 16:58
good ridance....

You see your trying to adress homebrew as just DS homebrew and at the same time all other homebrew as well. You see homebrew isn't just on DS but almost all consoles. I kinda agree with you but the chances of you making an impact of any are slim to none. Just look at China they copied millions of dollors worth of wii pirated stuff but really do you think they are reading this and if they are do you think they care. I for one havn't done piracy the only reason i usually use emu's is to play games i have broken and would like to play again usually on another console. My xbox is almost all backups because i scratched a lot of my disks. So my point is you can try as hard as you want and people arn't going to change. Besides looking from your point of view DS piracy isn't that big and sure isn't making much of an impact on their income. If you really wanted to change something you'd need a frigin miracle such as sony,nintendo and microsoft joined together to find a solution.

gronne
June 2nd, 2007, 18:01
If the DS out-of-the-box allowed homebrew to run but not copied games then it would be quite obvious that if you bought a modchip you'd do it only to play illegal back-ups. I agree with that, but I think a big aspect the gaming companies have for not allowing homebrew would be that if you want to play homebrew instead of playing games, they'll simply sell less games.

I use my modded xbox 1 to 95% play xbmc and I rarely ever play a game. But if I didn't have a modded xbox, I probably would've bought games in order to use it at all. So I don't think it's as easy as just allowing homebrew. But logically it should be your right as you've bought it.

Tennisgy
June 2nd, 2007, 18:11
Its about time. I mean I just got banned from IGN for telling somebody how to run homebrew

kyus
June 2nd, 2007, 23:54
I'm sick of this pathetic argument.

Piracy is not a big problem. For everyone who obtains an illegal copy of whatever, there will be another 5 or more who pay money for it.

Creating something to entertain should NOT guarantee money. It's immoral. Fame and recognition of talent should be the only guaranteed outcome.

I for one, am a fan of indie music. A very unpredictable genre. Bands I may love can suddenly become awful at the drop of a hat. Take the new Idlewild album for instance. It's unmemorable pish. I'm glad I downloaded it, cos I like feeling I get what I paid for, which I did with their past albums.

Now all you losers who are ready to tear into my post, just stop and think for a minute. How many games have you bought lately where you felt it was worth every penny to play?

Case in point, software companies make enough money through overinflated pricing and gullible gamers. Those who choose to pirate are a niche and will never cause a man to be unable to eat or stay warm at night.

I'd personally prefer not to see preachy crap like this on the main page of a site where exploits, hacks and alternative firmwares are lauded. We are mostly pirates here. The only difference is, the dudes who pay for their games are the minority.

JKKDARK
June 3rd, 2007, 00:10
Now all you losers who are ready to tear into my post, just stop and think for a minute. How many games have you bought lately where you felt it was worth every penny to play? .

A normal person check screenshots and videos about the game, it's obvious.

acn010
June 3rd, 2007, 00:13
i agree

that is how you got fast post counts. a agreement with no explanation why... and a little spam to sum it up... thats just nice:rofl:

Elven6
June 3rd, 2007, 01:03
7 years too late for Dreamcast, but if it happens in the future which of course it will I will gladly put those banners up.

Mr_Biggs
June 3rd, 2007, 01:39
if we got rid of "piracy" on flashcarts, then all we'd have would be ports of old games and homebrew games. granted, some are fun, but then that 40 dollar flashcart wouldnt be worth much to me. i play DS backups on my FC, cause it's easier than juggling those lil' game carts. same on my xbox. I'll consider stopping piracy, when Mr. Miyamoto goes looking for some money to live on.

Elven6, the Dreamcast got screwed because it was too easy to run bootlegs on the system. you downloaded an image, burned the ready to go image, and played it. thats the only console thats so easily exploitable. i bet if someone could figure out how to write in the FatX format on a pc to a USB stick, xbox may have never made it to the 360. it's all about how easy it is to run bootlegs.

DemonicArc
June 3rd, 2007, 01:58
As long as there is media in any form, game, music, video, there will be piracy, even if the media was free, there would still be pirates who rip the images just for the hell of it.

Psyberjock
June 3rd, 2007, 10:00
Well, I don't think we'll ever see homebrew disappear. Luckily for us homebrew lovers there will always be pirates who will crack the systems and let us play our home made games.

quzar
June 3rd, 2007, 10:27
What makes me sick is that such a stupid thing would be made front page news. Maybe two people in this thread are "Homebrewers" anyways. You can't call a person who uses homebrew a homebrewer, only those that create it.

mfz64
June 3rd, 2007, 15:15
Long Live Piracy!!

kyus
June 3rd, 2007, 18:58
What makes me sick is that such a stupid thing would be made front page news. Maybe two people in this thread are "Homebrewers" anyways. You can't call a person who uses homebrew a homebrewer, only those that create it.

Thanks Quzar.

The post itself was a sordid attempt at nosing up wraggsters ass, so I'm sure the mods loved it. This is why I use QJ.net more. No false pretenses about what everybody's there for.

Since when the hell did screenshots become a good way to judge a game? If that was the case, then everything with good graphics would sell bucketloads, and the DS would probably be a sinking ship along with nintendo.

Mods, In future, keep front page information clean and informative and FREE OF THIS OPINIONATED BS.

syberjj
June 3rd, 2007, 23:52
well I personally started to buy much more music albums when the peer2peer wave started, I discovered so many new bands and artists and buyed they're cds because I wanted to suport them.
but now I know that 90% of that money goes to record companies, the same ones that are trying to stop peer2peer.

I don't buy any original cds for some looong time now...

the psp is an amazing tool, and if sony would just support homebrew we could do LOTS of things with it.
someone remembers Quake 1 and the miracle of QuakeC? everyone could code its own addons and modifications to the game! quake was played for years, even after quake 2 and 3 were available!

I think big companies should stop trying to MAKE us buy things and go back to the time where we would buy thing because we wanted to. I would definetly go back on buing things. if games wouldn't be so expensive and have the risc of being a crappy game I wouldn't even go through the trouble of making my psp homebrew capable!

imagina how many ppl would buy the psp if they discovered that they can use it to chat, or as a remote control, or together with an usb keyboard or IR keyboard!

why doesn't sony support this?
anyway... i am to tired to finish this argument, I think you got my point...

gnight

Adrenalin
June 4th, 2007, 14:15
Why bother? Nintendo doesn't do much to stop piracy and certainly not homebrew. Maybe you are getting confused with psp which gets firmware updates all the time. sure, They don't endorse homebrew, but how many console manufacturers do?

Even if nintedo takes a harder stance on this kind of piracy, say by releasing more protection on games, how will it affect homebrew? it won't. Homebrew games will obviously not ahve the same problems.

Many people in the homebrew scene are also pirates, Whether it be in NDS games, movies music or whatever. Who would campaign against themself?

DS state of homebrew is fine right now. From my spectator viewpoint at least. And i hope it continues to grow. Nintendo certainly hasn't made any effort as of yet to stop it.

SnesR0X
June 4th, 2007, 17:11
good ridance....

Excuse me? Do you think I care? You clearly stated that you are against all piracy, but homebrew is directly linked to it, we probably would have one without the other. And spell my name right sometime, it's not very hard.

quzar
June 5th, 2007, 09:08
OK totally screw this thread, It was exrtremely misguided and just plain wrong at times. Get over it.