PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary New LCD

mavsman4457
June 2nd, 2007, 00:47
A revolutionary new LCD screen is being experimented on by none other than Sony. I seem to recall Sony filing a patent for this a while ago but that could be my imagination.

Anyways here is the story: http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12799
And here is the incredible piece of technology that will be the future of handhelds, both for video games and cellphones. PSP2?

http://www.youtube.com/v/H7QbQugXy1A

acn010
June 2nd, 2007, 00:52
i heard the news in 2004... unbreakable and flexible indeed ;)

mavsman4457
June 2nd, 2007, 01:01
i heard the news in 2004... unbreakable and flexible indeed ;)

Do you mean the news of the patent?

acn010
June 2nd, 2007, 01:12
i heard the invention and saw a report on it.. i was amazed, never thought sony would do it...
organic electroluminescent display, same as other display, but its just thinner and flexible, very expensive XP

mavsman4457
June 2nd, 2007, 01:18
Let's hope that in a couple of years it becomes mainstream because this would be an incredible piece of technology to utilize.

Nicko01
June 2nd, 2007, 02:57
What ever happened to those phillips light emitting shirts? They never seemed to go anywhere... Hopefully this really gets used for something.
I would love to have one of these for a tv, being as thin as they are.

DragonPimpsta
June 2nd, 2007, 06:57
Slicker eletronics coming!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yeaaaaaaaaaaa I cant wait!

Lumir
June 2nd, 2007, 07:35
Technology never ceases to inspire and amaze me. I will have to show my family and friends this.

Dickhead
June 2nd, 2007, 08:33
Well I would love a Watchphone just like dick tracy/knight rider but with a small colour screen!

Axelius
June 2nd, 2007, 09:34
I would love to have one of these for a tv, being as thin as they are.
There are TVs using this technique (I've seen a similar report about a week ago), but they are not flexible. But they are ultra thin because they don't need any back light.

Triv1um
June 2nd, 2007, 10:02
Hmmm, since when does a PSP need to bend?

I dont personally think this will be used as a gaming thing anytime soon, unless they make something that is just as thin, but solid.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
June 2nd, 2007, 10:07
I think a psp2 is coming........:)

Ghoti
June 2nd, 2007, 10:14

well imagine a simple small device with two nicely designed handles which yo ucan pull away from each other leaving a nice display between it. The display is rolled in the device when it is compact but when you pull it you'll have a nice gaming handheld :) nice to play and nice to take along (it will also save your display from scratches during transport :D

just like the devices from "Earth: Final Conflict"

http://www.vidiot.com/EFC/images/EFC-004.jpg look at the device the guy is holding in his hand :D:thumbup:

ab88
June 2nd, 2007, 10:18

I dont personally think this will be used as a gaming thing anytime soon, unless they make something that is just as thin, but solid.

A gaming device that folds like the DS but when unfolded the screen is as big as the PSPs. Or something like that :p

Triv1um
June 2nd, 2007, 10:24
Yes, but they aint going to make a handheld console in a soft flexable case.

I really doing see the practicality of this screen as of yet.

ab_geee_eee
June 2nd, 2007, 10:46
this is sooo cool! They could make really thin tv with this. Amazing..

SpooForBrains
June 2nd, 2007, 11:23
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.

shrimpidy
June 2nd, 2007, 12:50
"Wrist TV"! lol There was something like this a while ago, a sportrs watch that was completely flexible and wrapped around the wrist but there was no LCD screen. It would be cool to have that as a TV too since it looks thin enough to just, "thunb tack" it on the wall.

Nikolaos
June 2nd, 2007, 13:50
amazing, i want one for my psp

Roache
June 2nd, 2007, 13:50
well as soon as flexible touch screen comes out then this will be cool.

a 20 inch monitor with touch screen that only takes up a 5mm on your desktop.

it would look like one of those sci fi movies with the floating screens.

Accordion
June 2nd, 2007, 15:25
a psp to wrap around your face!!!

oh, and these screens arent nearly flexible enough to roll up, and they dont fold either, not yet anyway

NoQuarter
June 2nd, 2007, 16:57
really cool,If I had this in my original psp the screen wouldn't broken when I stepped on it.

Raekwik11
June 2nd, 2007, 17:35
Man this would make the psp much lighter and easier to use

Buddy4point0
June 2nd, 2007, 17:43
thats amazing! omg! seriously! its like paper!

devmas
June 2nd, 2007, 18:02
This sounds pretty interesting :)
I wonder how much electricity it uses.If it uses a little... like enough to be solar powered, then it would truly be great! If not, then, while it would still be great, it would kinda defeat the purpose to have a very flexible screen with hard batteries in it.

Basil Zero
June 2nd, 2007, 18:05
Nice, I actually saw this vid 1 month ago, hope it is implemented in future sony devices and into cell phones.

voorheesda
June 2nd, 2007, 18:31
COol, would be funky with a bendable PSP ;D I hope it consumes less batteries.

acn010
June 2nd, 2007, 22:28
GODDAMMIT!!! ITS NOT FULLY BENDABLE!!! it may be use as protection, example: i you drop a normal lcd to the ground from the psp, it will brake, the new lcd can be cushioned and it wont crack cause basically its like paper... yet it seems so delicate

Veskgar
June 2nd, 2007, 23:47
I was blown away by that video. This sure is some amazing technology. It obviously holds great things in store for portable electronics.

I must give SONY much credit for this if they are solely behind it.

If this technology is more efficient than current LCD's, and coupled with better batteries, portable electronics will be the way of the future.

acn010
June 3rd, 2007, 00:00
much important with the battery consumption... it must be to a minimum consumption

Emeriastone
June 3rd, 2007, 05:05
Very cool.

How about a PSP you can roll up and put in your pocket?

Balthasar00
June 3rd, 2007, 05:26
I heard of that new screens at the Nhk japan radio last years. The idea came from a traditional coconut desert recipe from a island near japan. Java ? can't remember.

don't ask me the details :p Meaby wiki have some infos about it.

steve520
June 3rd, 2007, 05:37
Very cool.

How about a PSP you can roll up and put in your pocket?

That would be freakin crazy for real

psp411
June 3rd, 2007, 05:38
finally... no more glass is used for lcd display(well in the near future anyway).... many of my lcd products dont even work anymore because the screen broke.... glad to see that this exists :D :cool: hopefully, we will see its full potential before the new decade

ICE
June 3rd, 2007, 05:44
wheres your tv? oh its rolled up over there let me unroll it and hang it on my wall.

that'd be sweet..

Nocuddle
June 3rd, 2007, 07:01
Its OLED, not LCD. :D

mfz64
June 3rd, 2007, 15:03
pretty cool.....too bad i couldn't understand anything

acn010
June 3rd, 2007, 15:10
also the new lcd's backgroundlight will be new and will last longer

cashboxz02
June 4th, 2007, 02:28
if they make this, im sure they will make a wireless transmitter for dvds, tvs, and all a/v products to go wit dis thing.