PDA

View Full Version : Future request topic

Codaz
June 3rd, 2007, 02:54
There isn't any official Future Request topic. If we now have 3 people working on Mapthis, a lot more is possible :)

My wishes (i like mapThis anyway, thats why i donated :)):

-Navigate from point to point with Markers.
-KM/H speedfix (still present !)
-Poi fix with no more name restriction to GAS for gasstations and HOTEL for hotels.
-Altitude fix (i live at 350823403285 meters high ??)
-Some chrashes while in 111 mhz mode and sound on.
-Smaller map sizes.

-Built in redirection: if you drive wrong with a Tom tom, it says turn around, or it recalculates a route (if geodata is present), wonder if that could be done too :)

Almost impossible things to build:

-Faster fixing time possible ?
-Bluetooth connectivity to receivers ??
-Vector maps usage ?
-Fuel economy things :) (If you don't own a board computer)
-Traffic Message Control (TMC) ?
-Weather support from wifi ?

Thanks

All this from latest official version 0.99

MIB.42
June 3rd, 2007, 05:29
I am working on the "smaller map sizes" from the GPSFS re-compression side. This is NOT a realtime zlib type approach, as both png and jpgs do not compress well, but a re-compression of the images at lower qualities...

Bzzoiro
June 3rd, 2007, 14:07
@Codaz
Weather support from wifi is not difficult neither impossible to implemet ;)
Altitude Fix is kind of easy too.

Ranmax09
June 3rd, 2007, 18:37
Creating a trip with directions with MapThis! without the use of a computer and faster fixes for PSP-290 :)

sunami88
June 4th, 2007, 00:58
Here's another "impossible to implement", but as long as we're throwing around hypotheticals;
Connect to a PC via wifi so that the computer can use the PSP-290 as a GPS Device as well. It would probably be relatively easy to relay this information via wifi (ad-hoc network?), the tricky part would be getting the software running on the computer thinking it was a physical device (e.g. COM1 showing as a usb gps device).

And its been said before, but faster fixes for the 290 would be nice too!

Thanks Deniska for all the work so far, and I will be eagerly awaiting the next release, these features included or not.

Edit:
I don't want to start a whole new thread about this so I might as well just ask it here. I was playing around with the mapViewer config file and now MapThis starts up in "Track Up Mode", and I can't seem to figure out how to change the default back to North Up, what am I missing :P.

deniska
June 4th, 2007, 03:22
Here's another "impossible to implement", but as long as we're throwing around hypotheticals;
Connect to a PC via wifi so that the computer can use the PSP-290 as a GPS Device as well. It would probably be relatively easy to relay this information via wifi (ad-hoc network?), the tricky part would be getting the software running on the computer thinking it was a physical device (e.g. COM1 showing as a usb gps device).

And its been said before, but faster fixes for the 290 would be nice too!

Thanks Deniska for all the work so far, and I will be eagerly awaiting the next release, these features included or not.

Edit:
I don't want to start a whole new thread about this so I might as well just ask it here. I was playing around with the mapViewer config file and now MapThis starts up in "Track Up Mode", and I can't seem to figure out how to change the default back to North Up, what am I missing :P.

I believe the Track up mode only starts when startup map is enabled...so you may want to disable startup map..

sunami88
June 4th, 2007, 03:26
I believe the Track up mode only starts when startup map is enabled...so you may want to disable startup map..

You are correct sir, thank you :).

deniska
June 4th, 2007, 03:27
Codas, can you post your system.conf file?
also can you capture some gps data from your PSP?
(use the record feature and post GPS.TXT file)
I'd like to figure out your altitude problem...

BaDaPpLe
June 9th, 2007, 15:42
Can someone remake a eboot to power up the top usb port for a Holux..Like it does with the 290..

Y you ask??

I got my friend hooked on mapthis and his umd drive is dead anyway. Sooo we took it all apart and took apart the gpslim236. Its all embedded inside the psp now, and it works great. However it runs all the time when the psp is on, or you can open door and shut it off manualy. Im looking to power his unit only when mapthis runs via them top power pins.

Hope somones up to the challange. Thanxs

Codaz
June 9th, 2007, 18:45
LOL, any pictures of that Badapple ?

That would be great.

Also new feature request for Mapthis:

Add poi's while you are on the road. If you see a nice castle or something you can add a poi if you stop at the corner of the road.

Next time you can drive to that :)

Deniska, config is coming.

BaDaPpLe
June 9th, 2007, 19:36
I dont but we will have to take it apart again to reroute the power..Ill grab some then

jakekoh
June 10th, 2007, 04:48
Allow user to create waypoints to that particular point he wish and save it under POI methods without the help of GMDL Direction tools as many couldn't use the Direction option. which includes me.

vcosmin
June 10th, 2007, 10:07
-Altitude fix (i live at 350823403285 meters high ??)

Hey, what's Deniska fault that you leave on Moon ?? :thumbup: :rofl:

Codaz
June 10th, 2007, 19:50
Muhahahaha :)

Also another feature i would like to have. RSS feedreader from Traffic announcements.

Codaz
June 13th, 2007, 00:27
Another feature which is easy to build:

IR keyboard support. If you want to edit a POI or search one, maybe typing from IR keyboard is better than doing it with danzeff.

Pikey 0.4 already has Danzeff support, i'll try tomorrow if it will work, otherwise i will contact Fanjita, author of Pikey.

Leake
June 13th, 2007, 08:38
I would have to say my three most important requests would be:

1. Ability to read tiles from inside a ZIP/RAR file. That way you wouldn't have to copy hundreds of thousands of tiles onto the PSP, just one larger ZIP/RAR file which would be hundreds of times faster.

2. Ability to create directions on the go, from point to
point (any change of getting a hold of the google code that defines routes?)

3. Faster PSP-290 sat fixes.

Deniska and crew, if I can help at all, please say so - I am a graphic/new media designer by trade, don't know much about programming however (apart from site authoring and some scripting).

MIB.42
June 13th, 2007, 09:32
I would have to say my three most important requests would be:

1. Ability to read tiles from inside a ZIP/RAR file. That way you wouldn't have to copy hundreds of thousands of tiles onto the PSP, just one larger ZIP/RAR file which would be hundreds of times faster.

2. Ability to create directions on the go, from point to
point (any change of getting a hold of the google code that defines routes?)

3. Faster PSP-290 sat fixes.

Deniska and crew, if I can help at all, please say so - I am a graphic/new media designer by trade, don't know much about programming however (apart from site authoring and some scripting).

1. Is solved, I am not sure why you don't have the GPSFS files...

2. MapThis! does not use layers and does not have associated street/road infos. It only works with "pictures", thus would not be able to compute directions, unless somehow, somewhere we add road definitions. I am not sure how we could get access to this type of data...

3. That's a hardware issue ( shielding and antenna size ). You can try a custom USB extender which puts the 290 further away from the PSP's EMF.

Waltrock
June 13th, 2007, 15:56
I don't know if its possible because of less CPU-Power....

Would it be possible to integrate an MP3-Player (perhaps a Videoplayer, but this can be difficult with law in some countries)?

So you listen to your Music while driving, Music stops if Soundfile has to be played, music goes on.

Leake
June 13th, 2007, 19:34
1. Is solved, I am not sure why you don't have the GPSFS files...

2. MapThis! does not use layers and does not have associated street/road infos. It only works with "pictures", thus would not be able to compute directions, unless somehow, somewhere we add road definitions. I am not sure how we could get access to this type of data...

3. That's a hardware issue ( shielding and antenna size ). You can try a custom USB extender which puts the 290 further away from the PSP's EMF.

I do have the GPSFS files, but also the folders 1x, 2x, 4x, etc, which have hundreds of thousands of PNG images in them (large maps). That's why it's taking so long to copy. Do I not need to copy these over?

Codaz
June 14th, 2007, 16:38
Nope, only the GPSFS files, the 1x,2x,4x files are IN that GPSFS file.

But hey the maps are still too large :)

MIB.42
June 15th, 2007, 07:22
I don't know if its possible because of less CPU-Power....

Would it be possible to integrate an MP3-Player (perhaps a Videoplayer, but this can be difficult with law in some countries)?

So you listen to your Music while driving, Music stops if Soundfile has to be played, music goes on.

I am almost done with the MP3 player. It can already process an m3u file and cycle through them. The occasional soundfiles simply interrupt them pretty much the way you described. The big issue is user interface. I think we can have a simple version quite soon... I'll talk to deniska about it...
( At the moment I am working on a GPSFS optimizer for Windows; it evaluates the GPSFS, can recompress the tiles and you can choose to omit given levels... I hope to release it in about 2 weeks, than I can focus on the MP3 again... )

Waltrock
June 15th, 2007, 09:15
I aé almost done with the MP3 player. It can already process an m3u file and cycle through them. The occasional soundfiles simply interrupt them pretty much the way you described. The big issue is user interface. I think we can have a simple version quite soon... I'll talk to deniska about it...
( At the moment I am working on a GPSFS optimizer for Windows; it evaluates the GPSFS, can recompress the tiles and you can choose to omit given levels... I hope to release it in about 2 weeks, than I can focus on the MP3 again... )

Thanks for answer, sounds really great :thumbup:

Take the time you need to integrate those features... I'm still wondering about your skills :)

Thanks for that!

JoQ
June 15th, 2007, 10:36
Two things i would like in the future is a possibility to chose Max speed instead of Average speed. Would be nice to know ;)
The other thing is that the white line that is drawn to the destination is hard to see when the background is white, shouldnt it have another color?

And offcourse something everyone wants is the Route Calculation feature in PSP without using GMDL :)

DogRed9
June 15th, 2007, 21:57
How about an odometer or trip meter accurate to the hundredths place?

deniska
June 15th, 2007, 22:16
I can include 2 decimal spaces but don't think that cumulative gps readings would provide such accuracy...

DogRed9
June 15th, 2007, 22:44
I think it would be... at least for miles. For miles it'd be down to about 17 meters per .01 mile. For KM... your probably right .01 accuracy is probably too much to ask from a GPS receiver thats +/- 2 meters or so.
But I would be so appreciative :P

Codaz
June 19th, 2007, 16:36
How many recompression is possible on the tiles MIB.42 ? Because whole map of Germany is already 2 gb, that should be 1 gb.

MIB.42
June 19th, 2007, 17:56
How many recompression is possible on the tiles MIB.42 ? Because whole map of Germany is already 2 gb, that should be 1 gb.

Well, it's all about what you don't mind sacrificing.
At the moment only JPG recompression is supported in the jpg quality range of 20%~90%. At 20% the texts are still readable, but barely. I get around 30% ~ 110% of the original size respectively.
An other way of reducing the map sizes are eliminating entire levels or individual tiles. The program does that too.
I am at the final stages now, writing out the new filesystem should work tonite or tomorrow.
I plan on posting v0.1 in a couple of days.
( PNG recompress does not work at this release. For that I plan on reducing color from 256 to 16, which buys a good 30%+ reduction )

Nieko
June 25th, 2007, 11:09
Is it possible to not make the screen go to minimum brightness, and then to off, whatever the PSP settings? It's a bit weird when the PSP turns black all the time when you're driving.